• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Is the museum finish a crust finish, or is it aniline dyed that way?

It is neither crust (unfinished) nor aniline (vat-dyed), it comes with that "antique finish" from the tannery (or to say it bluntly: the leather comes randomly blotchy).

Exactly how that finish is created, I can't tell you. But the hide in it entirety is sponged in one way or another. They might apply different dyes (put on colour) or they might apply bleaches (take off colour).

Ron Rider can tell you what Italian tannery produces it and can give you the Italian name for the finish ("museum calf" is just the name JLP gives to the leather).

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Museum Calf is discontinued anyways. I think Misty Calf replaced them.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of City IIs in gold museum - the waist seems about the same as EG but I did not study them too closely. Not as suppressed as JL Prestige line shoes that I have but you get what you pay for . . .

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
It is neither crust (unfinished) nor aniline (vat-dyed), it comes with that "antique finish" from the tannery (or to say it bluntly: the leather comes randomly blotchy).

Exactly how that finish is created, I can't tell you. But the hide in it entirety is sponged in one way or another. They might apply different dyes (put on colour) or they might apply bleaches (take off colour).

Ron Rider can tell you what Italian tannery produces it and can give you the Italian name for the finish ("museum calf" is just the name JLP gives to the leather).

The tannery should be the ILCEA, and the name of the leather RADICA

http://www.ilceaspa.com/

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks alexSF! - Yes, that's the stuff:

radicaleather.jpg

So, the basic leather is aniline dyed, then the antique finish is manually padded on.

lexmann

Reaction score
After almost 6 months...I almost forgot I ordered these shoes from Chay.

14789836.jpg

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
The fact that these have no waist concerns me especially at that price point.

I agree that this might be better if the waist was cut narrower, seeing that it looks like a size 9. At the same time, it is also my opinion that anyone who takes a US12 or larger should not have shoes with a dainty waist.
devil.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
At the same time, it is also my opinion that anyone who takes a US12 or larger should not have shoes with a dainty waist.
devil.gif

touchÃ
00a9.png
laugh.gif

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I agree that this might be better if the waist was cut narrower, seeing that it looks like a size 9. At the same time, it is also my opinion that anyone who takes a US12 or larger should not have shoes with a dainty waist.
devil.gif

What! Every time I try on a daintily waisted shoe my wife is all, "What size are those??? They look like a 10!" It's the dainty heel that's a no-no [Cleverley]
smile.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
What! Every time I try on a daintily waisted shoe my wife is all, "What size are those??? They look like a 10!"

It's the dainty heel that's a no-no [Cleverley]

smile.gif

Whats your problem with size 10's, sasquatch?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, there's an awesome pair of NIB Redways in polo tan on eBleezle right now. I was gonna kop for my dad but they might best suit a 9.5. DO ET!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics