• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to find out if a job will offer a PPO health plan option?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, this might sound a little odd, but I thought the collective might be able to give me a bit of advice on this. I need to find a job that offers PPO benefits. I need to have a surgery for a non-life threatening problem and the best guy to do it only accepts "fee for service" i.e. he doesn't take my HMO plan. I've already tried getting an out of network exemption but that's not happening. So, I need to track down potential jobs that would offer the health plan I want. Any suggestions on how to go about this? For reference, I'm talking about entry level positions in any major corporation (Starbucks, Costco, etc.) not upper level management stuff.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have no idea, but sorry to hear you need surgery. Good luck.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Ok, this might sound a little odd, but I thought the collective might be able to give me a bit of advice on this. I need to find a job that offers PPO benefits. I need to have a surgery for a non-life threatening problem and the best guy to do it only accepts "fee for service" i.e. he doesn't take my HMO plan. I've already tried getting an out of network exemption but that's not happening. So, I need to track down potential jobs that would offer the health plan I want. Any suggestions on how to go about this? For reference, I'm talking about entry level positions in any major corporation (Starbucks, Costco, etc.) not upper level management stuff.

Just wait for Obamacare. You'll be pissing rainbows.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I have no idea, but sorry to hear you need surgery. Good luck.
Thanks Douglas. Like I said, its non-life threatening, and really not necessary, but definitely wanted.
Originally Posted by Rugger
Just wait for Obamacare. You'll be pissing rainbows.
Technically, I can get in on it now. But, I'd first have to give up my current insurance for 6 months, and that's not really something that I'm interested in doing. Mostly for health reasons.
Originally Posted by indesertum
are you getting a tummy tuck?
Already had one. Definitely over-rated.

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
Starbuck's used to have very decent health care for all of its employees and still might. As I recall, you only had to be on for 30 days before coverage kicked in. I suggest asking the barista.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, Starbucks offers insurance to part time employees. Trouble is, I don't know why type of plans they offer. Or, if they only offer the PPO option to full timers.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a pretty routine question. Just ask what their benefits packages are. The manager will instinctively include health care with vacation and other stuff.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
It's a pretty routine question. Just ask what their benefits packages are. The manager will instinctively include health care with vacation and other stuff.

+1. If you feel like having a conversation about compensation and benefits would somehow look bad on you as a prospective hire, why would you want to work at that kind of place anyway?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. If you feel like having a conversation about compensation and benefits would somehow look bad on you as a prospective hire, why would you want to work at that kind of place anyway?
Its the specificity of the question, not the overall one. Plus, I need to weed out the options before hand. No sense in taking on a job that doesn't meet the goal I'm trying to accomplish.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah if someone started asking me if we offered a PPO plan on the first interview I'd probably not have the best reaction to it. I mean, not that I'd say anything, but I'd immediately either suspect something was up or wonder if this was just a clock-punching type. I want the person to really want the job and want to make an impact, not be immediately thinking about parsing the benefits package.

Maybe I shouldn't say or think that, but, oh well. Also, I'm not directly in HR, so I guess that is more the kind of question you ask the HR person directly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads