• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

pistolero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
so you went tts? can you take pre/post wash pics of those? i might add those to my list for 2012.

Yes I would say TTS. The whole "partially sanforized" thing kind of threw me when I was trying to figure out sizing, I never did figure out if these were supposed to shrink less than the raw 0701s. I'll try to take pre/post wash pics, I'm curious how much they'll shrink.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, all Momotaro denim that's "partially sanforized" shrink up the same amount. Being 1 to 1.5 in waist area and 2 to 2.5 on inseam.

The ones that won't shrink are the one wash models.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
FWIW, all Momotaro denim that's "partially sanforized" shrink up the same amount. Being 1 to 1.5 in waist area and 2 to 2.5 on inseam. The ones that won't shrink are the one wash models.
that is true except my 0705bigs are "sanforized," and they shrunk about a 1/2" in the waist and inseam and about a 1/4" in the rises, upper-thigh, knee and hem ... which isnt really anything. i think those 0701mcxx's will just shrink back to the state they were after you hot soaked them. i guess they could come in a little bit more but if they do it would likely be minimal. that cut was made for pistolero ... those look awesome and i hate you!
smile.gif

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is true except my 0705bigs are "sanforized," and they shrunk about a 1/2" in the waist and inseam and about a 1/4" in the rises, upper-thigh, knee and hem ... which isnt really anything.

i think those 0701mcxx's will just shrink back to the state they were after you hot soaked them. i guess they could come in a little bit more but if they do it would likely be minimal. that cut was made for pistolero ... those look awesome and i hate you!
smile.gif

True, but we discussed this through PM allready. BiG explicitly states that the collab they made wouldn't shrink. It's mentioned with the sizetable for the 0705BiG.

Other than that, I'm 100% accurate :p

And I hate pistolero too, for having a pair of Context x Momo's. Should cop those myself soon, but I allready have two pair of Momo's.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
True, but we discussed this through PM allready. BiG explicitly states that the collab they made wouldn't shrink. It's mentioned with the sizetable for the 0705BiG. Other than that, I'm 100% accurate :p And I hate pistolero too, for having a pair of Context x Momo's. Should cop those myself soon, but I allready have two pair of Momo's.
i think they mention it will shrink 1-2% with a wash, which it does, but its really not much at all. http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
does anyone know if context will continue to stock the 0701mcxx? they are out of my usual momotaro size, but if i had to i could get away with a 33.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not, since they are produced as a limited batch, 180 pairs made, if I'm correct.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, all Momotaro denim that's "partially sanforized" shrink up the same amount. Being 1 to 1.5 in waist area and 2 to 2.5 on inseam.

The ones that won't shrink are the one wash models.

that is true except my 0705bigs are "sanforized," and they shrunk about a 1/2" in the waist and inseam and about a 1/4" in the rises, upper-thigh, knee and hem ... which isnt really anything.

i think those 0701mcxx's will just shrink back to the state they were after you hot soaked them. i guess they could come in a little bit more but if they do it would likely be minimal. that cut was made for pistolero ... those look awesome and i hate you!
smile.gif

Partially sanforized denim would shrink more than fully sanforized denim, so what you have experienced makes sense.

Interestingly, BiG makes no mention of the "partially sanforized" Momo models being partially sanforized. For all intents and purposes, they are marketed as unsanforized denim models there. Context does explicitly state that their collab model is partially sanforized, though.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haven't seen the Context collab personally, but [to my observation & understanding] the 15.7oz Zimbabwean cotton that BiG got in stock [ie, 201, 701, 705SP, 705BIG] are same/identical partiallly sanforized shizzle. the only obvious defference is the sizing on the 705BiG RAW__ which are shrink from tag. my guess is, that the O/W lot were set aside & washed before sewing on the patch [that reflected actual post wash waist measurement].

just ask Gordon__ mystery solved.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
Partially sanforized denim would shrink more than fully sanforized denim, so what you have experienced makes sense. Interestingly, BiG makes no mention of the "partially sanforized" Momo models being partially sanforized. For all intents and purposes, they are marketed as unsanforized denim models there. Context does explicitly state that their collab model is partially sanforized, though.
yeah, i dont know. big says the 0705big is sanforized. it is not unheard of to see some shrinkage out of sanforized denim. i dont think these are "partially sanforized."

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
haven't seen the Context collab personally, but [to my observation & understanding] the 15.7oz Zimbabwean cotton that BiG got in stock [ie, 201, 701, 705SP, 705BIG] are same/identical partiallly sanforized shizzle. the only obvious defference is the sizing on the 705BiG RAW__ which are shrink from tag. my guess is, that the O/W lot were set aside & washed before sewing on the patch [that reflected actual post wash waist measurement].

I don't think this is true. Whatever123 had a 705BiG that was raw and hotwashed once, he didn't get as much shrinkage as I had on my 0201's.

So that would confirm that the 705BiG's are indeed sanforized as opposed to the other "partially sanforized" models.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
what was the result of the partially sanforized discussion? does that mean the denim did not go through the entire sanforization process? is this intentional?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon

I don't think the 705BIG uses the same denim as the other models that you listed. On BiG's website, it is the only one of the models you listed where Gordon explicitly says that the denim is sanforized, and the expected shrinkage listed on the site is completely different from the other models as well. I did send Gordon an email to ask him, though, I'll post his response if he replies to me.

what was the result of the partially sanforized discussion? does that mean the denim did not go through the entire sanforization process? is this intentional?

The consensus was that yes, cloth that is partially sanforized goes through some but not all of the steps of sanforization. I'm pretty sure that it is intentional on the part of the denim weaver; if it wasn't, it wouldn't be repeated with subsequent runs of jeans by the same manufacturer.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, Gordon got back me on the difference between the 705 denim and other Momo denim, as well as further details on how partial sanforization is performed: The denim is the same for the 0701, 0201, 0705SP, and 0705BIG styles. The 0701 and 0201 are left untreated and 100% Raw (before we thought them to be partially sanforized but this is not the case). The 0705 denim is 100% sanforized (it’s the same 0701/0201 denim that’s just been put through the sanforized heat shrink process). I only recently learned that the 0705SP denim was sanforized. They only offer them one washed and they do the wash on them to make the denim softer and more textured, not for shrinkage. The 0705BIG denim is the same but since we offer them raw in addition to washed, we advertise the denim as sanforized. If a denim is partially sanforized it would just mean that they add less heat or less sanforizing time so as to only shrink the denim part of the full amount. They basically run the denim through large rollers that apply heat and shrink the denim. The amount of heat, speed of the rollers, etc can be adjusted to the varied level of sanforization. Regards, Gordon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads