• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Those don't come with shoe bags unfortunately, just plastic bags. I've bought other models of Alden's that did though (like Cordovans).

He sorta has a point since these are work boots, meant to be worn and beaten up. That said, what model did you get? A neutral boot creme maybe once a year should do the trick but I wouldn't use polish.

PS, the manager there really likes to get people out of the store as quickly as possible, which is something I don't agree with. When he's not there, your shopping experience is much better.

Gotcha. It made sense, but it's just a knee-jerk reaction when you get a nice pair of $400+ shoes, to want to take care of them. Just wanted to check w/ the experts here to make sure. I'm no shoe guru.

I think these are the ones I got. http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=145

He just said to come in after 6 months and see where I want to go w/ the coloring and then he'll prescribe a cream.

Also, which one is the manager? Is it the guy that kind of speaks in a low hushed one in the back? The asian guy was the one that was helping me.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dbear
Gotcha. It made sense, but it's just a knee-jerk reaction when you get a nice pair of $400+ shoes, to want to take care of them. Just wanted to check w/ the experts here to make sure. I'm no shoe guru. I think these are the ones I got. http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=145 He just said to come in after 6 months and see where I want to go w/ the coloring and then he'll prescribe a cream. Also, which one is the manager? Is it the guy that kind of speaks in a low hushed one in the back? The asian guy was the one that was helping me.
Okay, those are the 403s. I got those too, awesome boots. They wear very well with nothing actually. Later on down the road, if you decide you want to treat 'em in a few years, you can just clean them with a damp cloth and then use some Neatsfoot Oil (available for cheap on Amazon, etc.). That's what the Horween leather company puts on there at the factory (the leather supplier used in the 403 boots). A neutral boot creme can also be used although that will mainly clean it rather than add oil back into the leather. Alden sells that, I think it's like $9.00. I believe you probably saw the manager in the back. I think the Asian guy who helped you is Lawrence. There is another guy named Robert who is quite nice and helpful. The issue is, when James is there, they have to act in a certain way which may be different (worse) then when his is not there.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on your new boots!

Those don't come with shoe bags unfortunately, just plastic bags, probably because they would have to make a larger shoe bag to fit boots and they choose not to. I've bought other models of Alden shoes (not boots) that did come with flannel bags though.

Nope. There are bags which come with boots. They just don't include them with the base Indy.

enigma77

Reaction score
^^ Ehh... Wouldn't recommend neatsfoot oil tbh; it's not that oily of a leather. Some kind of conditioning cream is, I think, the way to go. I once used renovateur on my 403s and they looked amazing, but renovateur is definitely overkill for Chromexcel.

Agree, though, that something neutral should be used. Chromexcel ages really well, but like most well-tanned leathers it ages gradually. (Natural tannages age quicker.)

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Nope. There are bags which come with boots. They just don't include them with the base Indy.

Truth. My ravello shortwing boots came with bags.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
^^ Ehh... Wouldn't recommend neatsfoot oil tbh; it's not that oily of a leather. Some kind of conditioning cream is, I think, the way to go. I once used renovateur on my 403s and they looked amazing, but renovateur is definitely overkill for Chromexcel.

Agree, though, that something neutral should be used. Chromexcel ages really well, but like most well-tanned leathers it ages gradually. (Natural tannages age quicker.)

Yeah, Neatsfoot oil is sorta gross stuff.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Truth. My ravello shortwing boots came with bags.

Exactly, they do make a large bag, they just don't come with Indy's - again, it's a work boot and is not meant to sit in a flannel bag.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Exactly, they do make a large bag, they just don't come with Indy's - again, it's a work boot and is not meant to sit in a flannel bag.

This only applies to the 'base' Indy's, ie 405. Indy's in special makeups do come with them.

AKMarkB

Reaction score
Horween recomends Neatsfoot oil for Chromexcel. "The last step for Chromexcel is coat of Neatsfoot Oil, so when people ask me how to condition this leather, that’s always my first recommendation." http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03...excel%C2%AE-2/ Its been around along time and is good for any leather. It will darken the leather slightly. I just re-applied some to my Danner Winter Lights. Water just beads off of them. Oh and I've had these boots for over 20 years.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score

Those don't come with shoe bags unfortunately, just plastic bags, probably because they would have to make a larger shoe bag to fit boots and they choose not to. I've bought other models of Alden shoes (not boots) that did come with flannel bags though.

That's not true. Talking to Alden customer support, it depends on the retailer. I got them with the Indy's from JCrew, but not with the 404's from a local retailer. I also got them from Leather Soul with the Safari boots. Didn't get them with the Indy seconds from TSM...

Kenal0

Reaction score

He sorta has a point since these are work boots, meant to be worn and beaten up. That said, what model did you get? A neutral boot creme maybe once a year should do the trick.

PS, I know for a fact the manager (James) there really likes to get people out of the store as quickly as possible, which is something I don't agree with. Don't really like him-when he's not there, your shopping experience is *much* better because the salesguys there are quite nice and helpful and don't mind chatting. Problem is, you can never be sure when Jim won't be there...

I got some shoe bags with my Indy Cigar shell boots from J. Gilbert. They are made larger than their regular shoe bags. I did not get any with my regular Indy boots however.

Kenal0

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
Shoe bags don't come with seconds from Shoemart. But for the price, I'm not complaining.

If you need some for shoes (not boots), you can order these for only $10. free shipping:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...p_category=216

They're quite nice even though they don't say 'Alden'.
sarcasm.gif

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Sorry for not know how to post thumbs...but here's some links to my latest pickup the Alden Shell #4 4x4's waiting for their maiden voyage. : )

http://img849.imageshack.us/i/imagexjj.jpg/

http://img7.imageshack.us/i/imagewgh.jpg/

http://img87.imageshack.us/i/imageoas.jpg/

http://img97.imageshack.us/i/imagevdo.jpg/

P.S. Would have loved to post thumbs but could figure it out on imageshack or photobucket. I can upload pics to these sites from the iPhone, but couldn't figure out how to upload the links correctly to SF. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

cold war painter

Reaction score
^ Either site will give you the links, on imageshack it's under "embed this image" on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads