• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal apology to TheTieBar.com + Wool Tie Review.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I own a navy knit tie from thetiebar. It's the only knit tie I've owned since Jr. High, so I don't have much to compare with it, but I like the texture a lot. My only problem is that it's longer than it should be - like maybe I got an extra long by accident, so it's hard to get the ends to line up right if the neck liner is in the right place. But I intend to buy another in grey or brown.

Here's a close up that shows the weave. The color isn't close to accurate - the tie is actually a rich, dark blue.

Looks great to me. Also, my Brooks Brothers knits seem too long as well, so maybe this is just a "thing" with knit ties.

Azzurri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
My tiebar ties are all great. It is hard to get a good tie knot out of a skinny tie.

+1

I think the problem lies with skinny ties. I have a hard time getting a good knot out of mine too.

unclesam099

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have a few of them. The wool ties that I have seemed to get and stay wrinkled, but nothing a quick ironing couldn't fix. Also, I really like the knit tie from them, and will be ordering more soon.

The only thing that I don't like is that they're made in China. However, that's where the price point is met, and for $15 vs. $38 BB ties (Made in USA; clearance price; also much smaller selection when on clearance), it's a tradeoff.

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Looks great to me. Also, my Brooks Brothers knits seem too long as well, so maybe this is just a "thing" with knit ties.

It looks okay to me too - especially considering the price.

(How does a rich dark blue look like a light beige-taupe... Are you trapped in Bizzarro World??)
eh.gif

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland
It looks okay to me too - especially considering the price.

(How does a rich dark blue look like a light beige-taupe... Are you trapped in Bizzarro World??)
eh.gif

butbut.gif
Dude, I'm trying to catch up on style lore - I'll learn photography later!

Flash seems to work better than incandescent in this case:
blueknittiebar.jpg

The silk has a nice, scrunchy texture.

Yika

Reaction score
I would like to apologize to thetiebar.com for my negative comments earlier and I'd like to take them back. After talking to Greg I realized that they are a small company and are very passionate about what they do; I respect that. I think their ties are a great value as long as you stay away from the skinny stuff. Of course, they aren't for big-timers, but the quality is there and I would recommend this company as a good starting point

Why would you want to take back your negative comments about their skinny stuff ? As long as the comments were justified.

Btw did you end up paying for the tie?

mink31

Reaction score
Here's what I was talking about (tie bar on the left):
photo.jpg

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
Here's what I was talking about (tie bar on the left):
photo.jpg

They are different styles/weaves. I believe the Tie Bar example is what is called garza fina, while the other is garza grossa. Spoo posted some great pictures a few weeks ago, I think.

FWIW, I think preference between those two is very subjective. For $15, the Tie Bar option looks very nice.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
They are different styles/weaves. I believe the Tie Bar example is what is called garza fina, while the other is garza grossa. Spoo posted some great pictures a few weeks ago, I think.

FWIW, I think preference between those two is very subjective. For $15, the Tie Bar option looks very nice.

I think garza fina/gross is describing grenadine weaves, not the typical knit tie weave.

mic

Reaction score
You may be right, but the same principle should stand, no? That is, there are different styles of weave, and preference is subjective. One is not necessarily "better" or "more correct" than another.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if any of us chose a more expensive tie (for a variety of reasons).

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
I would not recommend them for knit ties, however. The weave they use is pretty strange.

I have one knit tie from them and my biggest problem was the polyester feel of the silk. I suppose that depends on the tie. The one below looks pretty good.

Originally Posted by TheWGP
Liking your principles there re: the refund and so on.

I'm finding myself drawn to the fact that the narrow end of your ties is tucked into your pants. Just... yeah.

Well, I tied them for the photos. If I were going out, I'd probably re-tie them so that the wide edge hangs a little lower. I never wear a tie without a sweater or a jacket anyway, so it really cannot be seen.

Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
butbut.gif
Dude, I'm trying to catch up on style lore - I'll learn photography later!

Flash seems to work better than incandescent in this case:
blueknittiebar.jpg

The silk has a nice, scrunchy texture.

This looks pretty good! Which one is that? What's the width?

Originally Posted by Yika
Why would you want to take back your negative comments about their skinny stuff ? As long as the comments were justified.

Btw did you end up paying for the tie?

My comments were overzealous. Plus, they were pretty clear in their advertising and weren't offering something that they didn't deliver. It was my fault for expecting a good quality $15 skinny tie, especially since the measurements were pretty clear on the website. I still don't recommend getting their skinny ties, though.
decisions.gif

Yes, I paid for the tie. I'm sending them a check in the mail today. I'm very pleased with that wool tie and I already wore it on Sunday.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It's about 2 7/8" wide. Product code 22678\tKnitted - Midnight Navy.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to apologize to thetiebar.com for my negative comments earlier and I'd like to take them back. After talking to Greg I realized that they are a small company and are very passionate about what they do; I respect that. I think their ties are a great value as long as you stay away from the skinny stuff. Of course, they aren't for big-timers, but the quality is there and I would recommend this company as a good starting point.[/quote]

I like what you did, Ace. You owned up to your actions and admitted you were wrong although you were upset regarding the initial outcome. I've been thinking of ordering some PS's and ties from them but didn't want to be the "guppy".
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by acridsheep
My tiebar ties are all great. It is hard to get a good tie knot out of a skinny tie.

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely hate skinny ties. Dont like the way they look. Dont like their knot. Then again, I love thick ties.

Originally Posted by phailing101
Preach on. I usually do a double four in hand to make it work.

Cheers to OP for being a class act.

Double four in hand? So . . . 8 times?!

Thanks again to the OP. I'll be ordering from Greg because 1. I support small business owners and 2. I've been recommended by other SF'ers.

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads