• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blazer with white trim worth of wearing?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Requiem
I like yours, but can't see much use for it except if in a ship/yacht or, at least, at the sea shore.

Has anyone who makes suggestions like that ever actually set foot in a real yacht club? I am no yachtsman, but some of my extended family and friends are, so I am not a total stranger to these places. Anyone who showed up in that blazer would make a total laughingstock of himself! Hell, the last time I was at a social event at a yacht club, I wore a simple navy blazer and was razzed with comments like, "Are you running for commodore?" Yacht clubs, in my experience, are anything but havens for an otherwise vanished elegance.

If you fancy yourself a latter-day Bertie Wooster, the blazer in the OP would be fine. If you don't feel like getting in touch with your inner Bertie Wooster, I suggest passing on it.

hattori_gonzo

Reaction score
Actually I will wear it this summer, in an area next to the sea, with some white pants and shirt, or good jeans, it will work fine
bigstar[1].gif

ShaneB

Reaction score
Looks very smart and will great with some white chinos - real preppy look.

hattori_gonzo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaneB
Looks very smart and will great with some white chinos - real preppy look.

That's the look that I like

Requiem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Has anyone who makes suggestions like that ever actually set foot in a real yacht club? I am no yachtsman, but some of my extended family and friends are, so I am not a total stranger to these places. Anyone who showed up in that blazer would make a total laughingstock of himself! Hell, the last time I was at a social event at a yacht club, I wore a simple navy blazer and was razzed with comments like, "Are you running for commodore?" Yacht clubs, in my experience, are anything but havens for an otherwise vanished elegance.

If you fancy yourself a latter-day Bertie Wooster, the blazer in the OP would be fine. If you don't feel like getting in touch with your inner Bertie Wooster, I suggest passing on it.

You're absolutely right, I've never been to a yacth club, although I seriously doubt anyone would ever make fun of me for wearing a blazer, no matter where...

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan, but it's less put there than some of the FU sports coats on WAYWT. It depends on the image you're presenting. As noted, wear it with confidence.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Costume in the extreme unless it is the 'uniform' of a club of which you are a member and solely wear it at Club functions.

Wearing in the street will reduce you to the level of a prat.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has said it yet, but that looks like a rowing/regatta jacket. It would be weird to wear it outside of that context.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually kinda like it. If you have all the sartorial basics covered and just want to wear something a bit more "fun" and whimsical, why not? I think some of you are overthinking this ...

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I'm surprised no one has said it yet, but that looks like a rowing/regatta jacket. It would be weird to wear it outside of that context.

Why? Folk have recently released a jacket not too dissimilar:

1703w-taped---contrast.jpg

It depends entirely what you wear it with and what your general look is. As someone else said above, that would look good with light chinos of varying colours, perhaps some sort of nautical t-shirt / jumper or just a linen shirt underneath, I'd have rolled up / cuffed chinos with some boat shoes - Pretty classic 'preppy' look.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Bah, wear it with some white pants and confidence in the summer months. It is a nice casual blazer.

I love these "can I wear this ________ without looking like _________?" threads.

The answer is always the same. Do you have the confidence to wear it? If you are already so lacking in self confidence that you have to post this question in the first place, the answer is a clear no.

Mike

this

i strongly feel with items like this if you match it up right and have confidence that you are pulling it off, you will in fact pull it off

hattori_gonzo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
this i strongly feel with items like this if you match it up right and have confidence that you are pulling it off, you will in fact pull it off
I agree with you. Self-confidence doesn't mean that you will wear anything you want just because you like it, otherwise you could dress as batman just because you find the outfit cool. In this case this blazer is not too much...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads