• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blazer with white trim worth of wearing?

hattori_gonzo

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know if it will look good to wear a navy blazer with a white trim this summer or will i look like a tennis judge or cricket player? Thanks
5413687518_c784352417_b.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looks a little ridiculous and costumey. Are you going to a Gossip Girl themed party in the role of Chuck Bass? If not, I'd avoid.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I think it would be very appropriate if you are judging tennis or playing cricket, otherwise, no.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are just trying to look like a well-dressed gentleman, no.

It would work if you are young, cool, and beautiful, and already known as a dandy.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(EDIT: op ninja'ed the original pic, so the following, esp. the comment re: narrow piping doesn't make contextual sense any more)

As an occasional fun item to wear knowingly/semi-ironically to a summer party or similar occasion, sure, why not?

As a versatile jacket, of course not. The white bands are just too massive. If it had been narrow piping, perhaps that would be different.

What settings were you thinking of wearing it in?

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
I think it would be very appropriate if you are judging tennis or playing cricket, otherwise, no.

+1

hattori_gonzo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
As an occasional fun item to wear knowingly/semi-ironically to a summer party or similar occasion, sure, why not? As a versatile jacket, of course not. The white bands are just too massive. If it had been narrow piping, perhaps that would be different. What settings were you thinking of wearing it in?
actually this is the jacket I own, I should said it since the beginning

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hattori_gonzo

That's much better looking than the one in the OP picture.

EDIT: hattori_gonzo edited in the photo in the OP subsequent to my post. The original photo showed a blazer with a much broader white trim and trim on the pockets and sleeve cuffs.

Requiem

Reaction score
I like yours, but can't see much use for it except if in a ship/yacht or, at least, at the sea shore.

Azzurri

Reaction score
The white trim on the blazer in the OP is too thick, making it look tacky.

The one you have is not too bad, but I agree with Requiem.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hattori_gonzo

I much prefer this one. It's still an item I would only wear pretty occasionally through summer (fewer than half a dozen times, probably) to casual/social events, but more frequently than the 1 (maybe 2 at absolute most) wears the first blazer would get. Kind of depends on your lifestyle, habits, size of pre-existing wardrobe, etc, etc. Only you know all that stuff.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bah, wear it with some white pants and confidence in the summer months. It is a nice casual blazer.

I love these "can I wear this ________ without looking like _________?" threads.

The answer is always the same. Do you have the confidence to wear it? If you are already so lacking in self confidence that you have to post this question in the first place, the answer is a clear no.

Mike

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
New jacket is much better than the original jacket posted (which has been ninja-edited out of the OP). But it's still a gimmicky piece. You might get some mileage out of it in hipster circles, but I wouldn't wear that jacket in any sort of business or serious social function. It will also turn heads -- and usually not in a good way -- in most everyday situations.

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
I have one from the N&L diffusiony line sold in department stores in the UK. I like it, and wear it casually in the summer quite a lot.

Agree with all the sentiments that it's fine if you are comfortable in it. They are/were massively popular with young preppy/sloaney types in the UK clad head to foot in Jack Wills gear.

Anaszi

Reaction score
I was ready to rip, but after looking at the picture I must say I actually like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads