• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best Inspired by Nature - Who did it best? VOTE!!!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
SpooPoker:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
monarch-butterfly-migration.jpg
c250aea3.jpg
18999187.jpg

Threadbearer:
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Happy Friday, boys. Let's get this party started -- peacock-style.
Closeup-72.jpg
400px-peacock_front02_-_melbourne_zoo.jpg
Leaning-22.jpg
Sleeve-16.jpg
peacock-eye.JPG
Link-2.jpg

Holdfast:
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Good to see the Nature entries coming in!
smile.gif
I interpreted Mother Nature fairly broadly, with a Night Sky over the Desert. Original photographer is a Dan Ransom (click image to go to his online album). I just thought the image was awe-inspiring. I've tried to echo some of the colours, motifs, and the "feel" of the textures in my look, but really, the photo is too good for me to do it justice!
smile.gif

porcelain monkey:
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Casual day for me - not travelling and working from home. If I can get enough done, it's off for skiing by mid-afternoon. For the nature theme, I guess a mountain stream is where I was going with this.
cbfb7168.jpg
06bc9171.jpg
f931875b.jpg
5379276536_0bb4a9a6e1_z.jpg

PTWilliams:
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
Hermes cream cotton suit, Tommy Bahama camp shirt, Allen Edmonds Hastings shoes. Uploaded with ImageShack.us
TTO:
Originally Posted by TTO
Nature Once again, thanks Sartorialism, for the hook up on the awesome RLPL sportscoat! -TTO -took a lot of effort not to wear the panama today!
NOBD:
Originally Posted by NOBD
Inspired by
1van3.jpg
waywrninspiredbynature2.jpg
Sponsored by
waywrninspiredbynature3.jpg

MBreinin:
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Too much Mardi Gras fun last night.......I am beat. I still got it together today for you though, and even took pics in the rain. Inspired by nature, specifically...by minerals. Sartoria Partenopea Borrelli Taramasio Wright Cordwainer
Hematite.jpg
Nature1.JPG
Aquamarine.jpg
lapislazuli1.jpg
Nature2.JPG
Obsidian.jpg
Nature3.JPG

LilacCords:
Originally Posted by LilacCords
Here's my NATURE CHALLENGE...
nature2.jpg
2010_12030049.jpg
nature1.jpg
nature3.jpg

PandArts:
Originally Posted by PandArts
Winter's Blue and Grey with a hint of Spring on its way...
Fendi_030411_01.jpg
Fendi_030411_02.jpg

fullb:
Originally Posted by fullb
Friday Challenge A spring night
040311c.jpg
040311b.jpg
040311a.jpg

Requiem:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Not a regular WAYWRN poster, but couldn't resist to participate in this weeks challenge.
fing02[1].gif
Here's my inspiration, although it's not the season (well, maybe in the southern hemisphere...)
4543904033_3c4c0a5170_z.jpg
045.jpg
044.jpg
Cell phone pics, no full body shot (nothing to miss though, just dark Levi's 506 and suede boots)

Orgetorix:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Bit of a weak effort, especially compared to all you guys. But I'm leaving for vacation this afternoon and so didn't have a chance to put together a good fit.
CraterLake.jpg
0304011343.jpg
0304011344.jpg

Made in California

Reaction score
Haha I love Breinin's entry, silly theme

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Threadbearer's cuff links are an awesome accentuating detail. Spoo's dog, while not part of his outfit, is also a good detail. Lilac's PS is very springy. Breinin's is amusing.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some very nice looks- but many of them have a loose connection at best to their supposed theme.

Also, I forgot to vote for spoo. Don't know if I can go back and add that... But it was very nice as a real world look and pulling in elements of the butterfly. Dig the spotted pocket square.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Also, I forgot to vote for spoo. Don't know if I can go back and add that... But it was very nice as a real world look and pulling in elements of the butterfly. Dig the spotted pocket square.

plain.gif
No, but you can plead to the masses to compensate for your oversight
laugh.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fullb and TTO were standouts this week for me, because both really interpreted their inspiration so well. fullb's dark, clean, and enveloping suit with dazzling spots of white from shirt, square and tie truly calls to mind a clear night sky. It absolutely wouldn't have worked if it were a 2pc suit, because you need the extra darkness of the waistcoat to create the night-time effect. And whether deliberate or happy accident, the tapering angle of the square in the pocket echoes the tapering tail of the comet or shooting star in the photo. TTO's spring outfit evoked the lightness and ephemerality of the blossom beautifully, as well as keying in to some of the textural contrasts of a tree in blossom. Little touches like the loose bow-tie and the choice of pocket square fold made this special. Some of the other looks were good interpretations of the theme too, but I felt these two took it to a higher level.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow...not a single floral tie!!

-TTO

edit-Thanks HoldFast!

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I s'pose I was thinking more Liberty print style floral...but I stand corrected sir.

I shall say three Hail-Spoo's and one Holy-Vox as penance!

-TTO

Requiem

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting you guys' opinion on this tie.
It was the first tie I ever bought with my own money, back in 92. Last time I wore it was probably 10 or 12 years ago, but yesterday it was smiling at me.
Does it look too dated or is it fine in that context?

045.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Haha I love Breinin's entry, silly theme

Originally Posted by deadly7
Breinin's is amusing.

Believe it or not, I actually put some thought into this fit. It was centered around the suit, which has a good amount of sheen that did not translate in the pics...it reminded me of Hematite.

It was this or a pastel marathon, which I wasn't in the mood for after the night I had on Thursday. I should have just skipped this one altogether as my heart was not in it and I felt like total ****.

Mike

fullb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
fullb's dark, clean, and enveloping suit with dazzling spots of white from shirt, square and tie truly calls to mind a clear night sky. It absolutely wouldn't have worked if it were a 2pc suit, because you need the extra darkness of the waistcoat to create the night-time effect. And whether deliberate or happy accident, the tapering angle of the square in the pocket echoes the tapering tail of the comet or shooting star in the photo.

Wow thank you very much
shog[1].gif

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not namin' any names -- cough, cough -- but I suspect that a few entrants selected nature scenes to go with their outfits rather than selecting outfits to go with a nature scene. The confession booth is open, gentlemen, for those of you who'd like to unburden yourself of the guilt.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads