• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another reason not to wear non-iron dress shirts.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
The main reason not to wear them, of course, is that they feel weird against you skin and wear hot. I f*cking hate them with a passion.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
The main reason not to wear them, of course, is that they feel weird against you skin and wear hot. I f*cking hate them with a passion.

X2. I have yet to feel a non-iron that is as comfortable as a must-iron.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
X2. I have yet to feel a non-iron that is as comfortable as a must-iron.

You can date the fall of Brooks Brothers by the replacement of most of their inventory of classic dress shirts with those horrible non-irons. They constitute about 80-90% of what you'll find in their larger stores like the one I used to shop at in downtown DC. I still curse the saleswoman who talked me into a couple of these monstrosities a few years ago. Total waste of money.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like dry cleaning is worse.

I like the convience of the shirts, but other qualities are definitely compromised. I've also found that after about three years the shirts start to tear apart in unexpected places. Never thought I'd try them, and I can't say I'm glad I did, but I've been spared of dry cleaner bills or time ironing.

bjornb17

Reaction score
haters-gonna-hate.gif

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a fine shirting fabric has a sheen that is pleasing to the eye.
Non-iron glistens in a way that looks cheap!

I can usually spot non-iron from about 10 feet away

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Sounds like dry cleaning is worse.

I like the convience of the shirts, but other qualities are definitely compromised. I've also found that after about three years the shirts start to tear apart in unexpected places. Never thought I'd try them, and I can't say I'm glad I did, but I've been spared of dry cleaner bills or time ironing.

I would expect most the shirts whether they are non-iron would last three to four years.

How long should the shirt last?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not even sure what kind of non-iron shirt people here are talking about? uncomfortable? developing sheen? I have a very cheap non-iron shirt bought in a hurry an it is very comfortable and develops no sheen, the only thing I hate about it is it's obviously-very-cheap-looking collar and the insubstantial weight of the fabric.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple that I like the fit of and the color of the material, but I can't stand the way they feel. I have tried to repeatedly wash them in hot, hoping I could somehow strip them of the treatment, to no avail. I guess they are going in the donation bag.

Mike

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate them with all my heart ....

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
I see a lot of non-iron shirt haters here. Do anyone of you travel routinely for business?

Just curious since that is when the non-iron shirts are best for so you don't have to spend time irong your shirts in your hotel rooms before business meetings when you are travelling for business.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOVE non-iron so much that I hope to never buy anything else, ever again.
There is nothing more annoying than wearing a shirt once, only to look like ****.

Non-iron is the greatest innovation in clothing in the last 30 years.
And considering the amount saved in laundering bills, they're the best bargain ever also.
On one shirt, you might save $50/year. (if you launder after 2 wears)

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
...and wear hot

+1

I sweat like a pig. Leather car seats. All of 3 minutes in the car and its time to change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads