• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Language Most Useful?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an undergrad, what is the best language to start studying right now?

Chinese? Spanish? Japanese?

Discuss please.

kxk

Reaction score
arabic or russian if for "business"-y purposes
huge growth potential already starting to be actualized, a lot of money and natural resources from these regions as well as a lot of investments going in that direction
at the same time, relatively small number of people who study it (in comparison to chinese and spanish; on top of the tens of thousands of native chinese/spanish in US colleges)

to a smaller extent, i might add portuguese and maaaaaybe vietnamese

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kxk
huge growth potential already starting to be actualized, a lot of money and natural resources from these regions as well as a lot of investments going in that direction

I'm also thinking of learning another language. I love languages and am good at them. I love the little Arabic I know. But Arabic or Russian over Spanish and chinese? Living in the US?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually going medical. I've got about a year of Spanish..........but I'm just wanting to learn a language for the fun of it.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since your in/going to medical any language would be useful. Depending on your community where you work the surrounding languages in that community would be most beneficial.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kxk
+ 1. I'd say Russian, then Arabic or maybe even Persian. If it just for fun, travel and work abroad opportunities then Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesian/ Malaysian.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
+ 1. I'd say Russian, then Arabic or maybe even Persian. If it just for fun, travel and work abroad opportunities then Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesian/ Malaysian.

This is actually pretty good for me. I love to travel to Eastern Europe (for fun) so Russian would be helpful. Also I have a background in Arabic and already speak an Arabic-like language so that should be easy to pick up.

What sources do you recommend? Rosetta Stone?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Russian or Arabic, like everyone else is saying. Mandarin is basically useless to learn in a business setting because the vast majority of Chinese in business already speak english and won't want to speak to you in Mandarin anyways. French and Spanish are both nice but not as useful as Russian/Arabic in my opinion.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Russian or Arabic, like everyone else is saying. Mandarin is basically useless to learn in a business setting because the vast majority of Chinese in business already speak english and won't want to speak to you in Mandarin anyways. French and Spanish are both nice but not as useful as Russian/Arabic in my opinion.

This is actually good to know. I've always wanted to learn Arabic but ended up taking German classes and was thinking of learning Spanish because Spanish is useful in the US.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington

Doing business in China requires Mandarin

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Doing business in China requires Mandarin
+1 Am surprised this wasn't mentioned til post 11. To the OP - if your motivation to learn a language is primarily personal interest, I'd stick with one of the Latin derivatives. You get Roman letters (unlike Russian or Arabic), you get an alphabet (unlike Mandarin), and if you attain a certain fluency in one you can pretty much understand and be understood in most of the others. Spanish will give you upside with Italian and Portuguese, so it's a 3-fer. If you're not interested in Spanish, try Italian - which is always fun, and Italians love whomever makes even a modest attempt at their language. On the other hand, if by "useful" you mean the ability to communicate with the most number of people, then you're back to Mandarin.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
+1

Am surprised this wasn't mentioned til post 11.

To the OP - if your motivation to learn a language is primarily personal interest, I'd stick with one of the Latin derivatives. You get Roman letters (unlike Russian or Arabic), you get an alphabet (unlike Madarin), and if you attain a certain fluency in one you can pretty much understand and be understood in most of the others.

Spanish will give you upside with Italian and Portuguese, so it's a 3-fer. If you're not interested in Spanish, try Italian - which is always fun, and Italians love whomever makes even a modest attempt at their language.

On the other hand, if by "useful" you mean the ability to communicate with the most number of people, then you're back to Mandarin.

well you don't really need to learn Chinese characters to learn Mandarin.

I learned it pin yin, and was conversationally pretty decent way-back-when (I've basically forgotten it all now), but on the whole: plus one to the people saying Mandarin and plus one to the people saying "you need Chinese for business in China". Yes, you will get by without it, yes, a lot of people will speak to you in English, and then they will turn and confer with their colleagues, and you will have no idea what they are saying. This is not ideal.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Let's see. Location: Florida. Purpose: fun. Hmm. That's a toughie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads