• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why We Get Fat

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm always willing to learn. So, please do de-bunk him. Because speaking only for myself, I have maintained single digit body fat since my freshman year in high school. Two years ago, switching off grains and most carbs has made this effortless. I suppose these two MDs are cultists too? http://www.paleonu.com http://www.heartscanblog.org/

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Again, stop with the ******* shotgun blasts, narrow it down, and be specific. Name one thing/study he sights that was a lie or dis-proven. Saying that he cherry picks sources doesn't make him wrong, every study does this. Also, saying data is from the 60's or 80's is just again, dimwitted- if something is a fact, it's a fact no matter when it was discovered. The earth is still round, look into when that data came about.

I couldnt be bothered. You cant fix stupid. I couldnt give a single **** whether you buy into the low carb bullshit or not. This exact discussion has been had on every fitness board on the internet, so there's no sense is manually relaying the arguments here. BUt if youre interested in a critical look at GCBC by someone actually trained to interpret data, here's a good start:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showt...ghlight=Taubes

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBSLM is right on the money. Lyle, Leigh Peele, Aragon and others have written extensively on Taubes.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
BBSLM is right on the money. Lyle, Leigh Peele, Aragon and others have written extensively on Taubes.
lol8[1].gif
I'll stick with the real doctors, and intellectuals, versus some woman that looks like ****, blogging from her couch.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

I'll stick with the real doctors, and intellectuals, versus some woman that looks like ****, blogging from her couch.

Lyle and Aragon bring the science and are not fat pieces of ****.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So do Dr. Kurt Harris MD and Dr. William Davis MD. This is about more than just body composition, it's about quality of life.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
You're confusing processed foods with foods that aren't 'organic.' The argument from the organic food cultist fuckwits is that organic foods are inherently more healthful than non-organic food, despite most if not all data finding no difference between the two. If youre concerned with pesticides, wash your apples before you eat them. Processed foods are a different issue. Most of the nutritional value is stripped away during processing (think brown rice vs rice chex cereal). The cereal isn't necessarily 'bad' for you, but it lacks things such as fiber, b vitamins, magnesium, etc that are present in the brown rice. Even when the cereal is enriched (nutrients added back) the nutrients arent necessarily as beneficial as they would have been coming from the brown rice to begin with.
i agree with everything you posted, but if you look at the values brown rice is not that much healthier than white rice in the big picture. 3.5g fiber vs 1, 50 GI vs 84. Brown rice is certainly a healthier option than white rice especially in terms of micronutrients, but that's because white rice is such ****. just take a look at the GI data http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/
Originally Posted by Pilot
The way I've understood it is that it's not the pesticides that are being sprayed on the foods, so much as the seeds are being genetically modified to have these pesticides and such inside of them. Making the actual product that you eat inherently toxic in some way. example, bugs that eat any part of a corn plant; stalk, leaves, corn husk, and the corn itself will die. Do you want to eat something that has killed another life form that has done the exact same thing you're doing?
things that kill bugs dont necessarily kill (or harm) humans. there are a lot of discrepancies between how nutrients get incorporated in pests and humans and the definition of a pesticide is that they exploit these pathways. that's why they're harmful to pests and not humans
lol8[1].gif

***** please. ad hominem (and true scotsman) fallacy at its finest. plenty of quack doctors around and plenty of nutrition science undergrads that know their ****. doctors arent particularly well trained in nutrition. the training is more focused on nutritional absorption, physiology, and nutritional deficiencies (and how to tell the difference between those and diseases). just because they're a doctor doesn't mean every word they speak is gold instead of resorting to this bullshit read the ******* discussion before you press reply

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
This is the point of the Atkins diet. This guy was able to get a book deal making that very same point?
wow.gif

You just gave me an idea for my next book. Thank you sir!

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm always willing to learn. So, please do de-bunk him. Because speaking only for myself, I have maintained single digit body fat since my freshman year in high school. Two years ago, switching off grains and most carbs has made this effortless.
I've maintained single digit bodyfat by eating a box of cereal and half a carton of fat free ice cream 3x per week. What's your point?
I suppose these two MDs are cultists too? http://www.paleonu.com http://www.heartscanblog.org/
**** me. Youre clearly trolling. Ill bet a dollar your next post is going to include a link to a cross-fit page.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

I'll agree with you on Peele. She's written some ruhtarded stuff.
Originally Posted by indesertum
i agree with everything you posted, but if you look at the values brown rice is not that much healthier than white rice in the big picture. 3.5g fiber vs 1, 50 GI vs 84. Brown rice is certainly a healthier option than white rice especially in terms of micronutrients, but that's because white rice is such ****. just take a look at the GI data http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/
I agree with you here, but my I didnt mention white rice in the post of mine that you quoted, I was talking brown rice vs processed rice cereal, and in terms of micronutrient content, not GI response as GI isnt terribly relevant.
Originally Posted by indesertum
***** please. ad hominem (and true scotsman) fallacy at its finest. plenty of quack doctors around and plenty of nutrition science undergrads that know their ****. doctors arent particularly well trained in nutrition. the training is more focused on nutritional absorption, physiology, and nutritional deficiencies (and how to tell the difference between those and diseases). just because they're a doctor doesn't mean every word they speak is gold instead of resorting to this bullshit read the ******* discussion before you press reply
also correct.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or take a look at the inuit who eat the low carb diet that you claim is the magic solution http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v2.../0802434a.html http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v2...l#figure-title
Means of cardiovascular risk factors for each population are shown in Table 1. Despite having the highest means of BMI, waist-to-hip ratio, and waist circumference and higher prevalence of overall and central obesity, Inuit women had lower 2-h-glucose, 2-h insulin, blood pressure, triglyceride, and higher HDL cholesterol
they might have better levels of triglyceride and higher HDL, but they're still fatter than the danish (your typical industrialized nation)
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
You just gave me an idea for my next book. Thank you sir!
stop stealing my future revenue source

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
+1000

eat sensibly. doesnt have to be all broccoli stems and celery. just eat whatever but eat sensibly.

but dont eat fries and dont drink sugary sodas, cut that out completely.

exercise everyday. do something simple move around go for a walk.

you'll lose weight.

Yes its that simple. Don't spend your time and money on fad diets. Just eat healthy, exercise regularly and drink 8 glasses of water every day.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
I've maintained single digit bodyfat by eating a box of cereal and half a carton of fat free ice cream 3x per week. What's your point? **** me. Youre clearly trolling. Ill bet a dollar your next post is going to include a link to a cross-fit page.
Oh right, forgot this was the Internet, we all have single digit bf. And not unless you have ****** and at least a c cup.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how you're asking for proof organically grown foods are healthier long term, and throw out a comment like this with no supporting facts. Does the fact that organic foods are not "sustainable" or "feasible" make the industrial crap any healthier? No. The proof of the damage caused by eating non-biological foods/chemicals is out there, you and many others just choose to ignore it. Do you honestly think farmers and some nerd in a chem lab are smarter than nature? It's impossible to maintain ones weight on a standard america diet (SAD). Guys like Taubes have shown again, and again our genes want to be lean healthy, we just need to eat the right things. Cancer and obesity aren't the norm.
One lets clear a few things up There's evil processed Montesanto grocery store poison There's "Whole Foods" organic And there's grow **** in your backyard organic The first two IMO are not far off from each other (yes mass market "organic" food makers use pesticides etc) Grow **** in your backyard organic is definitely healthier But I never said it wasn't. My beef is, was, and always will be with the silly idea that one should "never eat food out of a box", and that one can't eat processed foods and be healthy. You guys made the claim but never provided the proof or connection, and I merely stated (again to no refutation) that America's health problems stem from eating in wild excess of our caloric requirements, and not the sources of our foods. Regulatory boards do studies and **** to find out carcinogens and pull them off the shevles all the time, the idea that a Ho Ho in moderation every now and then will take years off your life is ridiculous. Show some sources of the ill effects of processed food or be forever relegated to troll status.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh right, forgot this was the Internet, we all have single digit bf.

And not unless you have ****** and at least a c cup.

wow dude seriously? so its ok for you to say you have single digit bf and its not ok for him to say it because it disproves your point?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads