• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Thanks, didnt realize till now. But this is my 5028th, so basically I have made 28 posts in one day.
ffffuuuu.gif

Dude, I consider myself to be a fairly prolific poster -- but you joined about a year and a half after I did, and I've less than half your posts.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need a lot of color or pattern in a pocket square for it to look good. As in many things, keeping it simple can often be the best strategy. Here is Diego Della Valle, the CEO of Tods. He could wear whatever he wants. In a recent interview he says he likes to travel with a dark suit, usually navy, jeans, a few blue shirts and a few simple ties and pocket squares. Most of his are white or white with a medium to pale blue border or edge. Any combination of those works any time.

the-rake-01.jpg

Diego_Della_Valle_at_Tod_s_in_New_York.jpg

scoop01.jpg

GrandStadiumJacketCocktailPartyFayBoutique6U3bJO2IYyPl.jpg

GwynethPaltrowinMilanwithDiegoDellaValle.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Dude, I consider myself to be a fairly prolific poster -- but you joined about a year and a half after I did, and I've less than half your posts.

Im up to about 40 today. AJ is rather prolific though. Step your game up, Metlin!

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Im up to about 40 today. AJ is rather prolific though. Step your game up, Metlin!

My only consolation is that guys like Spoo are posting twice as me. But 9 posts a days is kind of embarrassing ...

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
My only consolation is that guys like Spoo are posting twice as me. But 9 posts a days is kind of embarrassing ...

Especially if all 9 posts were emoticons?
confused.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Especially if all 9 posts were emoticons?
confused.gif

Better than periods, especially when you're not a woman.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
44877e26.jpg

GrandStadiumJacketCocktailPartyFayBoutique6U3bJO2IYyPl.jpg

I can't see wearing a scarf without a coat. It seems affected. Maybe it's right for "media personalties" and other posers, but not for a man with pride in his accomplishments. Or, from the other way around, I wouldn't wear cold-weather outerwear inside to spread mud and wet all over someone's floor.

Austin45

Reaction score
Classic, simple, elegant.

4495322_f260.jpg

Oh yes, very classic, very simple and very elegant.

I think this is almost the perfect PS and style for me.

I hope I can find a style similar to his that way I will look very classic too. It is not too loud and too dull. It's just right.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
I can't see wearing a scarf without a coat. It seems affected. Maybe it's right for "media personalties" and other posers, but not for a man with pride in his accomplishments. Or, from the other way around, I wouldn't wear cold-weather outerwear inside to spread mud and wet all over someone's floor.

Dont pictures on the internet count as being a "media personality"?
smile.gif

Seriously, I agree with you - that pic of me was taken out of a montage that included the suit, then scarf, then the scarf and coat look.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
I can't see wearing a scarf without a coat. It seems affected.
It is quite common in Italy to wear your sport coat and scarf. And, Italian men aren't shy about wearing bold colors and patterns. Here is a recent pic of Salvatore (the well known Naples tailor specializing in pants) on his visit to San Francisco with his jacket and scarf.
salvatore.jpg
Diego's photo was taken at the opening of his Fay store in Milan. He is wearing a Fay scarf. In the Bay Area were we have mild winter weather, I often wear a scarf with a SC. A coat would be too warm. However, my choice of scarves is far more subtle than my Italian friends. In addition, the tradition of wearing a scarf and a jacket go way back here in the USA. It was certainly popular with ivy league and prep school types to wear a solid or striped scarf and a well worn tweed or corduroy jacket to football games and rugby matches in the 60's and 70's. Here is a more recent ivy league look showing a suit with a scarf.
wandering-eye-princeton01.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a patterned jacket mixed with any other pattern in your tie or in this case your sweater, consider a white or simple patterned pocket square. In this case maybe dots or paisley.

2620irs.jpg

Mr. White

Reaction score
salvatore.jpg

This one needs an enormous smile to pull it off. Maybe for an ice cream store manager? Oh sorry. Gelato.

wandering-eye-princeton01.jpg

No socks, either. Cheerful, happy students...on their way to Haagen Dazs?

Oh well. It takes all types.

thebunk

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some good online shops or sellers that sell inexpensive pocket squares? Looking for a nice white linen square along with a white one with a nice blue/navy border.

Thanks,
B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads