• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why We Get Fat

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
The argument from the organic food cultist fuckwits is that organic foods are inherently more healthful than non-organic food, despite most if not all data finding no difference between the two. If youre concerned with pesticides, wash your apples before you eat them.
The way I've understood it is that it's not the pesticides that are being sprayed on the foods, so much as the seeds are being genetically modified to have these pesticides and such inside of them. Making the actual product that you eat inherently toxic in some way. example, bugs that eat any part of a corn plant; stalk, leaves, corn husk, and the corn itself will die. Do you want to eat something that has killed another life form that has done the exact same thing you're doing?

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
I tend to think reading something that's demonstrably wrong isnt 'worth reading' but a 'complete waste of ******* time.'

What's "demonstrably wrong" about the book? And if you haven't "wasted [your] ******* time" reading it, how would you know?

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
The way I've understood it is that it's not the pesticides that are being sprayed on the foods, so much as the seeds are being genetically modified to have these pesticides and such inside of them. Making the actual product that you eat inherently toxic in some way.

example, bugs that eat any part of a corn plant; stalk, leaves, corn husk, and the corn itself will die. Do you want to eat something that has killed another life form that has done the exact same thing you're doing?

Well it's deal with pesticides in/on your foods, or not eat because the bugs have destroyed the crops. Or pay twice the price for organic food which may or may not provide any advantage.

Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
What's "demonstrably wrong" about the book? And if you haven't "wasted [your] ******* time" reading it, how would you know?

Just the entire premise of the book, and the since-disproven data from the 60s and 80s that he bases the premise on.

Because bullshit is bullshit whether I read it or not. Would you have to read a book by a creationist or flat-earth nutter to know that the ideas within it are bunk?

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Just the entire premise of the book, and the since-disproven data from the 60s and 80s that he bases the premise on.

Which premise? That carbohydrates make you fat?

Storm33

Reaction score
All I know is, when I did P90-X every day and watched my carb/fat intake I was ripped.

When I started back to grad school last year, no longer had time to work out, and started pigging out because I was stressed out from work and school, I started packing on the pounds.
baldy[1].gif

But, that's a good thing for some of you because now I'm on here snatching up all the "fat boy" pants that don't sell otherwise because everyone else on this site looks like SpooPoker!
biggrin.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Storm33
But, that's a good thing for some of you because now I'm on here snatching up all the "fat boy" pants that don't sell otherwise because everyone else on this site looks like SpooPoker!
biggrin.gif

Tell me your shoe size though...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raralith
When I was on college, I was pretty damn fit. I had 7AM classes M/W/F so I went to the gym at 5AM and worked out. I didn't eat either so I wasn't fat. I met my wife, we moved in together, and in the morning when I was getting ready for work, she was sitting at the dinning table and eating. I looked at her funny and asked what she was doing, her response was, "breakfast." I didn't know what the hell that was, but I asked for a bite. Same thing the next morning, I asked again, and she made me this "breakfast."

5 years later, I'm 25 pounds heavier. Sadly, this is a true story.

almost the same thing - I used to go to the gym pretty much every day for an hour -hour and a half. when my wife moved in, I found myself faced with the choice - sit on the couch with my wife or go to a gym full of smelly men and push weights around. what I didn't do was stop eating, and since my wife liked my cooking, we were eating well every night. everything went to hell from there.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Like I asked before, show proof. "Natural" farming is not sustainable nor is it feasible for feeding everybody. I mean do you grow all the food you eat? If not how do you know that grungy dude from the farmer's market doesn't use pesticides? And there are people out there who have been eating "processed" food who live long healthy lives.
Funny how you're asking for proof organically grown foods are healthier long term, and throw out a comment like this with no supporting facts. Does the fact that organic foods are not "sustainable" or "feasible" make the industrial crap any healthier? No. The proof of the damage caused by eating non-biological foods/chemicals is out there, you and many others just choose to ignore it. Do you honestly think farmers and some nerd in a chem lab are smarter than nature? It's impossible to maintain ones weight on a standard america diet (SAD). Guys like Taubes have shown again, and again our genes want to be lean healthy, we just need to eat the right things. Cancer and obesity aren't the norm.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Which premise? That carbohydrates make you fat?

Yes, that there is a metabolic advantage to low-carb diets and that fat people dont eat more than lean people.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that there is a metabolic advantage to low-carb diets and that fat people dont eat more than lean people.
Read the book "Good Calories Bad Calories" before you start with your dimwitted comments. Stop talking out of your ass and be specific, what has Taubes mentioned in his book that has been dis-proven? You come off as some hostile moron too broke/cheap to pay for organic foods.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Read "Good Calories Bad Calories" the science is there.
EdwardNortonComputerShut.gif
This is exactly the type of response I would expect from a gullible clown that buys books like GCBC because it's 'sciencey' and has big words in it, while not having the ability to look at the science critically. Taubes cherry-picks sources that support his conclusion and ignores data that contradicts it. He uses outdated studies from the 60s and 80s, and studies that use self-reported food intake that are always inaccurate - basically trusting a bunch of fat ***** to accurately and truthfully estimate their food itnake. No calorie-controlled study has ever shown a metabolic advantage to low-carb diets.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shibbel go back to trolling haganah and the israel threads, thanks

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trolling at all, bro. He made these claims, I just want him to tie himself to one. Versus saying Taubes is full ****, blah, blah, blah.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is exactly the type of response I would expect from a gullible clown that buys books like GCBC because it's 'sciencey' and has big words in it, while not having the ability to look at the science critically. Taubes cherry-picks sources that support his conclusion and ignores data that contradicts it. He uses outdated studies from the 60s and 80s, and studies that use self-reported food intake that are always inaccurate - basically trusting a bunch of fat ***** to accurately and truthfully estimate their food itnake. No calorie-controlled study has ever shown a metabolic advantage to low-carb diets.

Again, stop with the ******* shotgun blasts, narrow it down, and be specific. Name one thing/study he sights that was a lie or dis-proven. Saying that he cherry picks sources doesn't make him wrong, every study does this. Also, saying data is from the 60's or 80's is just again, dimwitted- if something is a fact, it's a fact no matter when it was discovered. The earth is still round, look into when that data came about.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always hard to tell if the tards from the Taubes camp are trolling or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads