• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Unbranded Brand Jeans

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by roundabout
Mine came in the mail today, I like the fit of the tapered except the waist is about an inch too big (tagged size 32). If I hot soak these, will they shrink on down? Or should I send em back in for a 31?

Yes, they will absolutely shrink. My tagged 32 came measured a 34 (as I expected), and after a soak and a few washes, it seems to have almost permanently shrunk down to a 32 or 32.5. They say sanforized but they seem to have some permanent shrinkage like unsanforized denim.

modernART

Reaction score
51 consecutive days of wear: http://www.withoutwash.com/2011/02/day-51
day-51-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back.jpg

modernART

Reaction score
After 56 consecutive days of wear:

wk8-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-1.jpg

wk8-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-2.jpg

wk8-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-3.jpg

wk8-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-1.jpg

wk8-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-2.jpg

wk8-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-3.jpg

wk8-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-4.jpg

Yesterday's day 57 outfit:

day-57-the-unbranded-brand-jeans.jpg

day-57-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back.jpg

I've been on the fence about hemming these jeans. Should I wait a couple more weeks to see if they settle, or should i just hem them now? Or maybe hem them after the first wash (which will be after a full year)? I've been hearing a lot of different things, but a common rule of thumb seems to be that you should not hem your jeans prior to washing because of the shrink that occurs after washing them. Any thoughts on my situation?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
+1. Stacks look good. Wouldn't recommend hemming unless they're really bothering you for some reason.

modernART

Reaction score
jimmyfingers and notwithit - i appreciate the feedback! to give you a little history, the last 2 jeans i owned were APC New Standard and APC New Cure, both with a 34" inseam, i believe (btw, i'm 5'11"). the skinny model from The Unbranded Brand has a 36" inseam and the additional 2" seems to be a bit bothersome to me. i might wait it out and see what another month will do to the stacks. as always, i'll keep you all updated!

adidasfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
Yes, they will absolutely shrink. My tagged 32 came measured a 34 (as I expected), and after a soak and a few washes, it seems to have almost permanently shrunk down to a 32 or 32.5. They say sanforized but they seem to have some permanent shrinkage like unsanforized denim.

After the soak and wash did alot of the color leave?
Do they still have that new jean look or do they look used?

Cheese1

Reaction score
I have a pair with about 2 months of wear on them, I'll probably post evo pictures eventually. These definitely fade, I don't understand people hating on them for their fading properties

adidasfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cheese1
I have a pair with about 2 months of wear on them, I'll probably post evo pictures eventually. These definitely fade, I don't understand people hating on them for their fading properties

For me its not hate.
I just want my jeans to look new.
Once they look faded I have to move on to new jeans.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still need to get the pics of a pair i've been working on since July, they do fade...i have lap creases, whiskering behind the knee, etc..My only beef if the horrible thigh flare.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidasfan
After the soak and wash did alot of the color leave?
Do they still have that new jean look or do they look used?

After the first soak no, they were still very dark and looked new. After 2-3 washes they are definitely going to look used, though.

Cheese1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
still need to get the pics of a pair i've been working on since July, they do fade...i have lap creases, whiskering behind the knee, etc..My only beef if the horrible thigh flare.

Mine are tightest in the thigh actually.

Cheese1

Reaction score
What kind do you have? I have a pair of tapered and a pair of the slim straight, I'll check it out when I'm back at school

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads