• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyone should visit Quarry House in Silver Spring.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millevanille
But I have to still take extreme exception to the food and shopping. I mean, I would consider Richmond a contender as a food city. With nearly a million people each in Ffx, MoCo, and PG counties (as well as PWC, Arlington, Alexandria, etc...) I really think there is no excuse for the level of restaurant quality.
Your opinion of the DC restaurant scene may have been true a few years ago, but it's definitely not true today. The restaurants I listed a few pages ago would be considered very, very good in any city in the United States. Jose Andres, one of the leaders of the molecular gastronomy movement, is based in DC. Tons of new and exciting places are opening every month, not to mention the great ethnic restaurants that have been around for years.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wolf vs goat trunk show dates are up. RSVP now!

No more excuses of terrible clothing in area if u can make it ...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
food is bad here. fine dining is their only calling card (like was said earlier, good if someone else is paying). Molecular gastronomy is gonna be laughed at in a few years. Ethnic food is good for the 2 ethnicities that have sizable populations (Ethiopian and ? I'm blanking). Asian food? Ping Pong WTF. After I move away there will be only 2 or three restaurants I have nostalgia for, the Rays restaurants and Two Amys, possibly Churchkey, that's it. And duplicates of ChurchKey and Two Amys can certainly be found in any major city.

The previous comment of people here not wearing their wealth in everyday clothes, that is definitely true. This is the wealthiest area in America, its tied up in houses, cars, boats, bar tabs and Hermes bags.

millevanille

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Your opinion of the DC restaurant scene may have been true a few years ago, but it's definitely not true today. The restaurants I listed a few pages ago would be considered very, very good in any city in the United States. Jose Andres, one of the leaders of the molecular gastronomy movement, is based in DC. Tons of new and exciting places are opening every month, not to mention the great ethnic restaurants that have been around for years.

Oh man. Jose Andres. Not really a fan. I know opinions are like assholes...

Originally Posted by slack tide
You cannot overlook the variety of high quality, authentic ethnic food in the close suburbs. Arlington, seven corners, Falls Church, Eden Center. Anthony Bourdaine spent a considerable amount of his stay in the DC Metro in northern virginia.

I guess if you're looking for Korean or Vietnamese. Middle Eastern, Latin American, European, Seafood, Sushi--just not cutting it IMO. Not at all.

And again, I know opinions are like assholes...

millevanille

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
food is bad here. fine dining is their only calling card (like was said earlier, good if someone else is paying). Molecular gastronomy is gonna be laughed at in a few years. Ethnic food is good for the 2 ethnicities that have sizable populations (Ethiopian and ? I'm blanking). Asian food? Ping Pong WTF. After I move away there will be only 2 or three restaurants I have nostalgia for, the Rays restaurants and Two Amys, possibly Churchkey, that's it. And duplicates of ChurchKey and Two Amys can certainly be found in any major city.

OK. Now I know I'm not crazy.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millevanille
Oh man. Jose Andres. Not really a fan. I know opinions are like assholes... I guess if you're looking for Korean or Vietnamese. Middle Eastern, Latin American, European, Seafood, Sushi--just not cutting it IMO. Not at all.
Seriously, if it weren't for the Koreans in Annandale, the VN center in 7 Corners, and some of the Chinese food in Rockville, I would not hesitate in calling DC the worst major metro area food in America. These keep it off the floor though. On the other hand, these places are not in DC. Another rant: yes, DC fine dining is okay. But it doesn't compare to NY, LA, SF, Chicago, Miami, etc. As far as major city fine dining, it's reaching down to Dallas or Minneapolis level. Not a good look.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please tell me what, specifically, is not up to your standards here. What's missing, what's bad about what's here, what would you fix if you had your druthers. What do similarly sized cities have, foodwise, that DC doesn't.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pizza, Coffee, bakeries, bagels, VN, delis, Indian, Middle Eastern is what I can think of in less than 3 seconds. gimme another 10 min for more.

They have good burgers though. Ray's FTW. And Molecular Gastronomy woohoo

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pizza, Coffee, bakeries, bagels, VN, delis, Indian, Middle Eastern is what I can think of in less than 3 seconds. gimme another 10 min for more.

They have good burgers though. Ray's FTW. And Molecular Gastronomy woohoo

Alright in my 3 seconds
Mexican -- due to the immigrant population around here, you're more likely to get good el salvadorean food than mexican.
Chinese -- not an expert, but I dig full kee
Japanese -- Kushi, Makoto
Korean -- VA suburbs
Pizza -- Matchbox, 2amys, comet ping pong
Coffee -- Chinatown Coffee
bakeries -- thinking about it
bagels -- truth, very few good bagels here
VN -- VA burbs
delis -- Taylor gourmet, Parkway in Silver Spring, Max's kosher cafe in wheaton
Indian -- Rasika is arguably the best restaurant of any type in DC

bowman9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Japanese -- Kushi, Makoto
Coffee -- Chinatown Coffee

Coffee: Peregrine espresso, Sova, Swings (Murky coffee was a purist espresso place; too bad it closed down)
Japanese: Sushi Taro, Kaz. A couple of cheap ones: Kotobuki, Temari and Hinata in MD

Lots of bars are overrrated and some popular ones have attitude.

Biggest problem in DC is finding good yet affordable places to eat. Very few. Most of the times, you really have to splurge.

puddin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowman9000
Biggest problem in DC is finding good yet affordable places to eat. Very few. Most of the times, you really have to splurge.

This. Lots of great food in DC, but very few good cheap eats.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I agree that the price of food and drinks is generally higher in DC (especially compared to Philly), but you can find decent stuff at a reasonable price. Kinda like the rest of DC, it just takes some work to weed through the garbage and figure out what's worth your time and energy.

And isn't there a place the old Eastern Market Murky Coffee location that's basically the same thing? Is that Peregrine? I know I had a great cup of hand-poured, single-country-of-origin coffee there at some point after it had already stopped being Murky.

Also, I think it was one of the guys from Murky who came to Philly and opened Ultimo, which is pretty great.

Originally Posted by puddin
Nah I'd recommend checking out Meeps in Admo (big selection, good prices) and Treasury (small, well curated selection, higher prices).

Is that the place that's on the other side of 18th St from Meeps on the 2nd floor? I remember always walking by the sign advertising it as a vintage store and not being able to figure out where it was. There was some decent stuff there when I checked it out, although this was a couple of years ago.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i liked kushi when i went. had a groupon too, so that helped

puddin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
Is that the place that's on the other side of 18th St from Meeps on the 2nd floor? I remember always walking by the sign advertising it as a vintage store and not being able to figure out where it was. There was some decent stuff there when I checked it out, although this was a couple of years ago.

Nah Treasury is near 14th & T. Mostly women's stuff, but a rack of men's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics