• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How and why to live in a small (8x10) room.

mehhhh

Reaction score
Thinking about moving into what is essentially a repurposed upstairs closet/study at the end of this Summer.

I know this seems crazy, but I think I can pull it off. Here are the positives:
-Rent is $200/month - I'd save $182.50 a month vs. where I live now.
-Great location- right in Columbia's bar district where I work and 4 blocks from the campus where I go to school.
-Live with two good friends
-The rest of the house is nice and large.

The only disadvantages vs. where I am living now:
-No garage
-Tiny Asian sized cube room
-Split a bathroom 3 ways.

I also get an upstairs closet for clothes and stuff.

Could you pull this off? If so, how?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll be actually cool to make it nice. Small living is very interesting to me (i.e. apartmenttherapy.com )

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mehhhh
-Live with two good friends
-The rest of the house is nice and large
-Split a bathroom 3 ways

Why not just commit some minor offense and ask to be let out every day to attend class?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a solid idea, and have lived with multiple people before. Do you have a larger common purpose room? As long as you have a place to sit down and talk to people, watch TV and entertain guests, a small cheap bedroom is ideal. There's only 2 things needed to be done in it, and neither require an audience.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8x10 is a smallish bedroom, but i see no reason why it isn't doable. Living is small places is kind of fun.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that it isn't painted some weird color that will make you feel like the walls are both simultaneously closing in on you and pushing away from you.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you living with room mates in your current spot?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I believe in you. 75% of the earth's population gets by in the same condition. I, too, think you are capable.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Do you guys think I could live on a rice based diet?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Do you guys think I could get by driving a Toyota Camry? Most people would probably die of embarrassment, but I think I could.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Do you guys think I could live on a rice based diet?
No. That is clearly impossible. OP: Duh, you're in college shared housing w/ a small bedroom is pretty standard. Didn't you ever live in a dorm?

mehhhh

Reaction score
Yeah, I've lived in dorms. Yeah, I drive a 15 year old Buick. Yeah, I eat a whole lot of rice.

This room is just absolutely tiny. Fortunately there are a couple of large rooms downstairs and it retains the dishwasher/washer/dryer trifecta that I am accustomed to. Cute neighbor girls, too.

At this point I've decided that I'm gonna live there. Anybody ever slept on a futon for an extended period of time?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mehhhh
Anybody ever slept on a futon for an extended period of time?

Don't do it. You will seriously f up your back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads