• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Anyone been to Ray's the Steaks? Love, love, love the name but haven't stopped by yet.

Great place - highly reccomended!

edit; p.s. SPICY CASHEWS FTW.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Anyone been to Ray's the Steaks? Love, love, love the name but haven't stopped by yet.

yeah mauro mentioned it like twice

i love it. great size of MEAT!!! plus its nice that the sides just keep coming. rays hellsburger is awesome too.

i go there whenever there is some big news to celebrate :0 ... check it out son!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol. I'm really glad to hear it, guys. I pass by it everytime I'm on the bus and silently laugh to myself. The name owns.

trafficjam

Reaction score
My friend's a bit of a foodie and claims that Ray's doesn't use the best quality meat. I think he's blowing smoke out of his elitist ass, Ray's owns.

Does anyone hang out at Galaxy Hut? I thought not.

Also, notwithit hit the nail on the head. As a Clarendon native, the sweeping changes were at first exciting and now a little bit revolting. I'm going to turn into an angry townie in a little while, picking fights with anyone wearing brown, square-toed shoes.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trafficjam
My friend's a bit of a foodie and claims that Ray's doesn't use the best quality meat. I think he's blowing smoke out of his elitist ass, Ray's owns.

Does anyone hang out at Galaxy Hut? I thought not.

Also, notwithit hit the nail on the head. As a Clarendon native, the sweeping changes were at first exciting and now a little bit revolting. I'm going to turn into an angry townie in a little while, picking fights with anyone wearing brown, square-toed shoes.

FYI, I believe Galaxy Hut is now closed as they're planning some condos on that block next to the Wendys. I could be wrong...someone I'm sure can correct me. Though if it is still around, it will be closing shortly.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite the enormous amounts of pure certified unadultered d-bags (sans myself, of course) who polulate the rooftop of Clarendon Ball Room in the evening and at night, it's a great place to hang out (with proper company), and great people watching during HH, after work. Even Tide is very cool as well.

My favorite low key bar in A-town is RagTime, no question about it.

trafficjam

Reaction score
You're thinking of Dremo's, whose demise was much lamented (not the least of reasons being the loss of the adjacent Taco Bell), but all the hipster clientele slid over to GH.

Hunan Number One has the best happy hour, 11am to 9pm for 4 dollar liter mugs of ****** Yuengling. I stopped going when the bartenders started knowing me by name, though.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trafficjam
You're thinking of Dremo's, whose demise was much lamented (not the least of reasons being the loss of the adjacent Taco Bell), but all the hipster clientele slid over to GH.

Hunan Number One has the best happy hour, 11am to 9pm for 4 dollar liter mugs of ****** Yuengling. I stopped going when the bartenders started knowing me by name, though.

Dremo's - you're exactly right. Thanks for the clarification

millevanille

Reaction score
Sigh...

Opening myself up to quite a bit of hostility here with this being my 2nd post, but after living in the DC area nearly my entire life, and traveling all around the US, this is the worst shithole I've ever been in.

Almost all chains, no great food, homely/masculine women, metrosexual swarms, terrible local cultural "icons" (cupcakes, gogo, dischord lameness, Ben's, etc.), no interesting shopping.

And diversity??? True there is every mixture under the sun here, but instead of an interesting mixture of communities, everyone has been blended into this bland, flacid, asexual, boring, uncreative, uninteresting prototypical DC resident.

DC is like The Gap of US cities.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
Dremo's - you're exactly right. Thanks for the clarification

Saw your post about consignment shops in the "Worst item" thread.

Was the shop you went to somewhere in DC? I mean, it sort of sounded like their buying policies such, but I haven't even found any consignment shops that sell men's clothes here.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NameBack
Saw your post about consignment shops in the "Worst item" thread.

Was the shop you went to somewhere in DC? I mean, it sort of sounded like their buying policies such, but I haven't even found any consignment shops that sell men's clothes here.

Nope - this one is unfortunately out a bit in the 'burbs, maybe 20 minutes outside of the city. "Pluto's Closet" in Chantilly. If you're in the city, just hop on route 50 west and take it allll the way there.

http://www.platosclosetchantilly.com/

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millevanille
Sigh...

Opening myself up to quite a bit of hostility here with this being my 2nd post, but after living in the DC area nearly my entire life, and traveling all around the US, this is the worst shithole I've ever been in.

Almost all chains, no great food, homely/masculine women, metrosexual swarms, terrible local cultural "icons" (cupcakes, gogo, dischord lameness, Ben's, etc.), no interesting shopping.

And diversity??? True there is every mixture under the sun here, but instead of an interesting mixture of communities, everyone has been blended into this bland, flacid, asexual, boring, uncreative, uninteresting prototypical DC resident.

DC is like The Gap of US cities.

No hostility, but...

DC's biggest (cultural) problem is its inferiority complex.

There's no doubt a lot of blandness, especially in new development (there's a reason everyone talking about Clarendon likes Galaxy Hut and Dremo's and not the Cheesecake Factory), but I fear you're going to say rust belt cities are somehow better because they have character or some bullshit amorphous "real" quality. DC's roots are fascinating, it has entertaining local characters (how many DC transients lol about Barry w/o any context? Dude was shot by terrorists in the 1970s), a constant tension between citizens and The Man, great architecture (you just watch, brutalism is the next mcm), great food (altho best ethnic food is in the burbs), plenty of solid colleges/universities, and some of the best-run clubs in the country. The music scene has occasionally been held hostage by the legacy of Dischord but I don't really have a problem with that. Throw in good (but deteriorating) public transit and it's a better place to live than you're giving it credit for. All that said, depending on when you grew up here and what you were into I can totally understand needing to get out.

Everyone seems to think the face of DC is an SAIC deputy program manager driving a Chevy Malibu to the Macaroni Grill. That's the face of NoVA.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ I can understand where you are coming from to a degree. However I think in your case ( maybe) it's the people you choose to be associated with. I understand that Ben's has been exploited and raped.
DC needs to cash in on certain things as the city grows and gentrifies.
There are plenty of great bars and restaurants in the area as well as bars.
Sure the dischord thing is played but as a DC hardcore kid, Discord died when hardcore died but that doesn't mean those people can't grow and make money.
DC is growing and growing fast. However if you find some good people going just about anywhere can be fun.
I am sure lifetime New Yorkers have a love hate relationship with NYC.
You probably feel the same with DC except DC does have a higher , much higher , percentage of ****** people. I think everyone agrees on this.
In my opinion a lot of people who were nerds or bullied as children, through college come to DC. Why?
Because they are super smart and lack social skills. They become lawyers, politicians , lobbyists, and other jobs that pay VERY well and they hold power. Power they never had and they feel justice is in order. I might be off based but that's what I have gathered from my 25 years of living here.
In the first few minutes of meeting someone in DC the conversation goes something like this-

person#1- hello
Person#2 -hello
Person#1- so, um, what do you do?
Person#2- I'm a lawyer how about you?
Person#1- really? what law school did you go to? I'm a lawyer too. I went to GT.
Person#2- ok, yah I went to Harvard. So how do you know the host of the party?

Not to plug my brand but if you guys come to my trunk show I bet ,not only will you have a good time you will walk away with meeting at least one good person that will make you think twice about DC ( in a good way) and you won't have a conversation like the mentioned above.

Ah **** ---to many people posted, Pete brings up a good point. my post was for millie

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782

Everyone seems to think the face of DC is an SAIC deputy program manager driving a Chevy Malibu to the Macaroni Grill. That's the face of NoVA.

^^This.
laugh.gif
. So, so true. Not sure if you're familiar, but trying coming to Fairfax.

Speaking of music, Black Cat is really killing it with their line ups. I've probably been there 5 times in the past two months to see shows (note I dont live in the city...so it's somewhat of a trek in). At the end of April I'm going to see Warpaint (g/f's hot band right now) and Twin Shadow the following night (for me). We'll just get a hotel room in NWor somewhere close and stay the weekend and hit both shows. Yelp some little restaurants for brunch and dinner. Found a really great little place called Cedar a few weeks back.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Not to plug my brand but if you guys come to my trunk show I bet ,not only will you have a good time you will walk away with meeting at least one hot chick that will make you think twice about DC ( in a good way) and you won't have a conversation like the mentioned above.
FTFY?
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads