• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this cloth/suit pattern dated? Honest critique please

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I found this nice suit, I am not sure as to the vintage, at a thrift store today. It appears to be half canvassed and the suit has a soft hand. I apologize for the mediocre but it is a bluish-gray glen plaid with a orange/rust overcheck. I am trying to incorporate some more bold patterns into my suits as I have alot of pinstripes and solids and since this suit was 5 dollars I wanted to give it a shot. The pants will need alot of work (they are flared....) but I want to know if it is even worth it. The suit fits me rather well w/o alterations so fit pix will come if I feel like I can pull it off. I am 26, work in a lax professional environment (I can wear loud colors and patterns if it is professionally cut and sober). Thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Citan1145;4194375 said:
Hey all,

I found this nice suit, I am not sure as to the vintage, at a thrift store today. It appears to be half canvassed and the suit has a soft hand. I apologize for the mediocre but it is a bluish-gray glen plaid with a orange/rust overcheck. I am trying to incorporate some more bold patterns into my suits as I have alot of pinstripes and solids and since this suit was 5 dollars I wanted to give it a shot. The pants will need alot of work (they are flared....) but I want to know if it is even worth it. The suit fits me rather well w/o alterations so fit pix will come if I feel like I can pull it off. I am 26, work in a lax professional environment (I can wear loud colors and patterns if it is professionally cut and sober). Thoughts?

I have no idea of the cut. As for the pattern, it is not at all loud, but very conservative
and in good taste.

Frank Davis

Reaction score
Can't really talk about the pattern with that picture. As far as the color goes, I think it is OK, did you say you got it for 5?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frank Davis
Can't really talk about the pattern with that picture. As far as the color goes, I think it is OK, did you say you got it for 5?

I've never seen a pattern that I thought was too dated to wear. Much less something as classic as windowpane. Maybe I'd be saying otherwise if this were cow spots or leopard, but this is pretty tame.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frank Davis
Unless your monitor or eyes are utter crap, you should be able to see it fine. And it's a nice tasteful pattern. As for cut, you would have to wear it. But flare on the pants should be fixable by a decent tailor.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got it for 5 dollars at a consignment store. To be honest, the only issue i have is that the blue-grey color is kind of different than anything i have ever seen and with the orange I thought it was too "old man in the country club" for a young guy like myself. You guys seem to think it is nice though, so thanks for the comments. Honestly the fit is rather nice, softer shoulders (no awkward cheap padding) and it is similar to a BB fitzgerald. Any other comments on how to wear this? Shirt and ties etc. shoes color?

Frank Davis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Unless your monitor or eyes are utter crap, you should be able to see it fine. And it's a nice tasteful pattern.
Thanks for the compliment, that is if calling my eyes crap is one. And my monitor is far from being broken.
fight[1].gif

Frank Davis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Citan1145
The picture isn't the best, I do apologize!
confused.gif
confused.gif

No need to apologize, I just think the other dick head is just toying with my temper.
boxing[1].gif

Requiem

Reaction score
The pattern is quite nice, but without a picture in "true" colors, it's hard to recommend shirts and ties.
However, described as bluish-grey, most common shirts (white, blue, cream, pink) could work, either plain or striped (maybe even a well chosen check). Same thing on ties, most dark colours should be fine (navy, black, chocolate brown, bottle green, rusty orange), either plain, dotted, or large striped.
Thinking twice about it, I could also imagine rocking it with bright ties... but hard to tell without a better picture.

ps- Your picture (on the brownish spectrum) looks like a Corneliani suit I had through out the 90's. I prefered to wear it with a white shirt and black or dark brown tie.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be easier to see the garment being worn to get the full effect but it certainly not something one would be able to buy today - nor would it be very desirable but some things can be considered dateless. Flares give the game away so probably best avoided.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
It would be easier to see the garment being worn to get the full effect but it certainly not something one would be able to buy today - nor would it be very desirable but some things can be considered dateless. Flares give the game away so probably best avoided.

This strikes me a pretty much on target. It's obviously not today's fashion, but it's not trendy-dated either.

If you're worried about the "old man" look, I actually think it would be more old-mannish without the orange overcheck. Hard to be sure from the photo, but that's my reaction, anyway.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads