• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Next vacation Europe or Asia?

SureShopApparel

Reaction score
My wife and I are trying to figure out our next big vacation. I want to go to Thailand or Vietnam! they sound so amazing! My wife wants to go to Europe, Italy and France. We have never been to either continent. We are in our mid 20's. Have you had incredible experiances in either places? What do you recommend?

Thanks for sharing.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to China. IMO such an awesome country, so much to see and do. I like it so much, I decided to stay here.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SureShopApparel
My wife and I are trying to figure out our next big vacation. I want to go to Thailand or Vietnam! they sound so amazing! My wife wants to go to Europe, Italy and France. We have never been to either continent. We are in our mid 20's. Have you had incredible experiances in either places? What do you recommend?

Thanks for sharing.

If you've never been to asia....then go to Bali. It's an amazing place to visit, truly one of the gems of the world. Culture, scenery, food...it's got everything. When americans think of vacationing, they go to Paris. When Parisians think of vacationing, they go to Bali.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing.

there's your answer.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would stack up well in a comparison, but South Korea's worth visiting if you know someone here.

China's got that irritating expensive VISA to deal with. I heard from a buddy that outside Ankgor Watt there's a "war museum" that lets you lug old grenades for cheap. I even heard you can shoot an RPG at a cow for a price (seems a waste of a cow to me though).

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I don't think it would stack up well in a comparison, but South Korea's worth visiting if you know someone here.

China's got that irritating expensive VISA to deal with. I heard from a buddy that outside Ankgor Watt there's a "war museum" that lets you lug old grenades for cheap. I even heard you can shoot an RPG at a cow for a price (seems a waste of a cow to me though).

At least take its hide for leather first.

Kidding aside, "Asia" is pretty diverse, you should think about what kind of vacation you are looking for. Lounging on the beach in the philipines or visiting historical sites in Cambodia? HK and Singapore are the most accessable for western visitors but I also find them the least interesting.

Also, I believe a chinese visa is $125? That's not too bad.

SureShopApparel

Reaction score
Great input!!!!
@Acidboy, your totally right there. She'll eventually make the final decision anyways.
Every place in the world has so much to see. I've had friends visit China and they loved it. the Visa doesn't seem that expensive. Never considered Bali.... i'll put it on the bucket list.
Thanks so much for the helpful advice
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been to both regions....I would suggest Thailand! I am actually heading back there next month! Europe is also great...but Thailand gets my vote.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by acidboy
there's your answer.

LOL! But so true.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lived in Europe for 22 years, Malaysia for 6 months. Been to France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Holland, Laos, Thailand and Malaysia of course. Next up is Sweden and I kind of want to live for a while in South Africa as well.

It's a clichÃ
00a9.png
, but it depends on what you're looking for. I'd say the weather is a lot better in SE Asia though, and it's cheaper. I personally liked Laos, and I have friends who have very good things to say about Vietnam and Cambodia. After 6 months in Malaysia, I was pretty much done with the country and don't think I'll be returning any time soon. I'm not really sure if that's just me, but I've heard from many backpackers while traveling that Malaysia is a country you can skip - if only for the way too expensive beer. Haven't been to Bali either, but loads of friends have and they all liked it very much. However, I've been told that the place is pretty much THE vacation island for Australians. Then again, I heard the same about Ko Phi Phi and Russians but that was fine as well.

I believe a popular itinerary for South East Asia is as following:

-Fly to Bangkok (Thailand) from wherever you're coming from
-Chiang Mai
-Vientiane (Laos)
-Vang Vieng (if you want to party)
-Luang Prabang
-Hanoi (Vietnam)
-Saigon (train/bus, stopping on the way)
-Cambodia (Angkor Wat and Pnomh Penh mostly)
-Bangkok again
-Phuket/Ko Samui/Ko Phangan/Krabi
-Penang (Malaysia)
-Kuala Lumpur
-Melaka (you can skip it imo, been there twice: not very interesting if you've seen all the above)
-Singapore
-Jakarta
-Some people also go to Australia after this, but that's way beyond the scope of most holidays, the above should take you about 4-5 months already.

These are generally seen as the most popular places in SE Asia. Plenty of culture, sun and because they're the most popular spots; western comforts as well. The first couple of countries are fairly alike as far as weather goes and most people are Buddhist, more Muslims as you go down (South Thailand, entire Malaysia, Indonesia).

SamPepys

Reaction score
It depends on what you're looking for. Asia tends to be cheaper, warmer, and offers a lot more debauchery. Europe on the other hand offers astounding architecture, history, and water that is potable.

Honestly, I'd recommended Europe. Transportation between countries is extremely easy, most people speak English past "You want Nike, Rolex?!", and it offers a good mix of touristy spots and out of the way places. Italy is a great country for a trip. Rome is fantastic, fun, and has something to see at every corner. Venice is nice, but you really don't need more than two days there. If you're planning a trip for the fall, think about doing Oktoberfest in Munich. I've never had a great experience in France, and after you see the sights in Paris, there really isn't all that much left besides pretentious frenchness and North Africans glaring at you. Europe as a whole offers beautiful scenery (especially the Alps) and the chance to have your breath taken away everyday.

Asia is Asia for better or worse. I've had great experiences and horrid ones. I hear Japan is nice, but I've never been. The problem with developing countries is you will get screwed at every turn if you're not careful. You could opt for an all-inclusive in Thailand, but that's no different than getting drunk at home while watching the travel channel. If you do decide to go to Thailand or Vietnam, make sure you do a lot research, read blogs from people who live there, and have a plan. Skip tour guides, they'll take you to crappy, over priced restaurants, overcharge you for transportation, and give you pseudo-factual tours that honestly aren't any better than using Wikipedia. All of the negatives listed above are exemplified in China, unless you know someone whose been there or someone living over there now, I'd stay far, far away.

Also, I've never felt "connected" to Asia the way I do in Europe. That's probably because I'm of European descent. The temples and culture of the East are different and interesting, but at the end of the day I couldn't imagine my ancestors laboring to build them, worshiping in them, and setting the foundations for the world we live in today.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go France never stay around Paris for long. The entire city is a tourist trap filled with people who make New Yorkers look like the most hospitable people on earth. The south of France around Marseille or the coast is another story.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japan, it seems like a place like nowhere in the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads