• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Shoes

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a pair of calf-skin pumps.

+1

I get more compliments from women when I wear my calf pumps. They're an elegant shoe, and I have no issue at all wearing them.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I like to think of pumps as a bit of a F-U to contemporary convention.

Indeed, they are the anti-"out of shape, golfer, bussinessman, polo shirt and dockers, rental looking tuxedo with a wing collar and fake bow-tie" look shoe.
tounge.gif

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of wearing velvet or grosgrain slippers to a black-tie wedding. I'm in the market and looking to buy in the next couple days. Can I get some opinions on this?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
The rule about wearing patent leather with black tie is one of the rules I break. I agree that patent leather is the traditional choice. However, for some reason, I just can't bring myself to wear patent leather shoes. To my eye, they look cheap (even the nice ones.)
I completely agree. And Jan, I'd be very leery of counseling the joys of the pump. They are so out there that he will think you have gone completely round the bend and thus not pay attention to anything else you say. Plaintoe, black, very, very well polished. Or patent, but that's not for me. ~Huntsman

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodness, how these old threads do get revived! For all the good advice contained in this thread, as it turns out, my boy is now in his fifth year in the fraternity and has never had occasion to wear black tie. The few lounge suits I have bought him suffice him just fine, and he claims he is by far the best dressed young man in the chapter. A sizable percentage of the lads go to "formal" events in shirt and tie (sans coat). James wears A-E bluchers with the suits, even though I have tried to get him into bals. Compared the footgear favored by most of his fraternity brothers, I doubt if he is committing a grievous faux pas!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the update was good, thanks. There has been much necroposting of late.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I know it is wrong, but I wear some very high polished AE park avenues with my DJ.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I know it is wrong, but I wear some very high polished AE park avenues with my DJ.

What's wrong about this? The non-patent leather balmorals or the AEs?

sorry.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
another bump.

what are thoughts on black, plain, velvet slippers? these would be for my wedding

velvet.JPG

To your own wedding? I wouldn't.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
The rule about wearing patent leather with black tie is one of the rules I break.

I agree that patent leather is the traditional choice.

However, for some reason, I just can't bring myself to wear patent leather shoes. To my eye, they look cheap (even the nice ones.)

With my black tie clothing, I wear plain-toe Bal Oxfords in black shell cordovan, shined to a very high sheen.

I like this idea, actually. I know shell is often considered a rustic leather, but in black, couldn't it be shined to come close to patent, without it being so...patenty?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Traditionally, evening pumps were calf or patent, lace-up shoes (always plain-toe oxfords; a blucher is seriously not right for a formal shoe) were patent. You can indeed wear the pump with white tie. Some authorities consider it to be required, or at least prefered, because it is a vestige of court dress, and therefore the most formal shoe in a man's arsenel.

In no contemporary (1930s) source that I have or have seen have I found a mention of plain leather lace-up formal shoes. I know some people hate patent; I'm not saying my word is dispositive (see below), just reporting what I have found.

How traditional is patent leather? Isn't it a fairly modern material?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
late 19th century. 1860s maybe? originally coated with linseed oil, now coated with plastic.

I didn't know about the linseed before, but I kinda figured it showed up in the very early 20th century and was kinda a novelty then. That level of bling seems to outshine the lapels, which as far as I've always assumed would be the highlight of the outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads