• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

cncrd

Reaction score
Concur with all the "No" posts above. However nice the fabric is, it's a really, really, old Zegna. Not getting the fabric appeal either. It's a very dated looking cut.

And unles you're getting it for $6 or something, the expense of having someone try to take out the shoulder padding would not, for me, be worth it for that jacket. If you add the cost of that alteration to the purchase price, you might well be getting into the price zone of a newer jacket.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that is an old suit, probably early 90's. Also last 10 years, I have never seen a Zegna label like that, so I will almost definitely say it is pre 2000. My hunch says late 1980's early 90's. The Lapels are also quite a bit wider than typical for modern Zegna.

I would not worry so much about the age of the suit, I still have a couple of Polo University suits from the 90's, they have stood the test of time, and I still wear them occasionally.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
Looks like a zegna piece from the 70's

That is some bad assery. Got a better pic and look at the top left. It says "A norma della legge N. 883 del 26-11-73." "A normal della legge" is Italian for "under the law" and the others seem to be a number and a date, which would be november 26, 1973.

Originally Posted by Redwoood
If it is Zegna, it must be ancient.
The label does have Zegna's typical 'chattiness', i.e., lots of different fields.
However, it is very strange that the fabric number is just another field somewhere in the middle.
Usually, Zegna devotes a large space towards the bottom to specify the fabric of a garment.
ETA: nm, I guess the "composizione tessuto" field could be that.

With the better pic below, you can see the large space towards the bottom left used for the fabric of the jacket and the fabric of the lining.

34h6yxt.jpg

cncrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
What specifically about it gives you this impression?

Lapel width, gorge, particularly the belly on the lapels, shoulder structure and padding, and a little more inclusively, the entire appearance and cut of the jacket. Even the fabric to me looks very dated (i would have said 1980s, if I had to guess, and would have missed it by a decade. Well done to the poster who got it back to the early 1970s).

The whole thing just looks old, unfortunately in neither a funky cool mod way, nor a funky cool country suit way. It was a pretty generic suit to begin with.

And by the way, has anyone mentioned that it's almost definitely a suit jacket and not an odd jacket?

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd
Lapel width, gorge, particularly the belly on the lapels, shoulder structure and padding, and a little more inclusively, the entire appearance and cut of the jacket. Even the fabric to me looks very dated (i would have said 1980s, if I had to guess, and would have missed it by a decade. Well done to the poster who got it back to the early 1970s).

The whole thing just looks old, unfortunately in neither a funky cool mod way, nor a funky cool country suit way. It was a pretty generic suit to begin with.

And by the way, has anyone mentioned that it's almost definitely a suit jacket and not an odd jacket?

I was already pretty sure it was an orphan. What is gorge?

Oddly enough, I've gotten a several compliments from my colleagues about it while wearing it today. Now, as grad students, our general standard of dress is probably lower than the average hobo, but compliments none the less. I posted some pics of me in it over in WAYWRN. While I think folks have been kind about not telling me it's horrendous, there have also been a couple of comments that the fit seemed acceptable on me. That may just have been a kindness as well though.

cncrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
I was already pretty sure it was an orphan. What is gorge?

Oddly enough, I've gotten a several compliments from my colleagues about it while wearing it today. Now, as grad students, our general standard of dress is probably lower than the average hobo, but compliments none the less. I posted some pics of me in it over in WAYWRN. While I think folks have been kind about not telling me it's horrendous, there have also been a couple of comments that the fit seemed acceptable on me. That may just have been a kindness as well though.

The gorge is the point at which the collar and the lapel meet. The trend recently has been for very high gorges, sometimes absurdly so; in the past, notably in the 1980s, a lot of suits had much lower gorges, which tended to make the jackets look droopy, and is often associated with ventless jackets. Higher has tended to be more mod.

Your jacket looks much better on you in the WAYWT thread than it did in the first pictures in this thread, by the way, and you did well to take the advice about changing you shirt. I think a little bit of tailoring could take it up another level, espeically on the sleeve length. The only thing that really stands out when you're wearing it is the lapel width, and even that seems to be coming back.

I wasn't trying to talk you out of it at all. If it fits you well and you're happy with it, enjoy it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
after seeing your WAYW pics x 2... I actually think it's not that bad. I mean you're not a dirty old man like I thought. As long as you wear it with the hat and everything else is modern it's sort of doable. The lapels and their belly (curve) are pretty dated but the jacket fits you quite well (need to shorten the sleeves though) and the body's a couple of inches long (makes you look short)... still, it's not that bad.

good choice on switching up to a white shirt. Try a very light pink shirt with that navy tie and this sportscoat, then charcoal/navy pants.
give those shoes a good clean and shine
keep the mocassins for casual wear or give 'em to charity.

keep posting and welcome.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd
The gorge is the point at which the collar and the lapel meet. The trend recently has been for very high gorges, sometimes absurdly so; in the past, notably in the 1980s, a lot of suits had much lower gorges, which tended to make the jackets look droopy, and is often associated with ventless jackets. Higher has tended to be more mod.

Your jacket looks much better on you in the WAYWT thread than it did in the first pictures in this thread, by the way, and you did well to take the advice about changing you shirt. I think a little bit of tailoring could take it up another level, espeically on the sleeve length. The only thing that really stands out when you're wearing it is the lapel width, and even that seems to be coming back.

I wasn't trying to talk you out of it at all. If it fits you well and you're happy with it, enjoy it.

I think I mentioned before that I'm considering it. My clothier's tailor did all of the work on the rest of the things I'm wearing, and they've gotten to know me rather well. The question remains however whether or not it's worth it. I'm still undecided.

I've spent this entire week burning through my wardrobe and making notes. Some things definitely need alteration. The jacket for my most recent suit being the primary. I wish I'd been able to get more up on WAYW this week so that I could get more input, but such is life.

Originally Posted by Redwoood
Gorge is where the lapel and the collar meet, i.e., the notch in your suit's lapel.

Personally, I wouldn't wear this thing, but if you like it, sure, why not.
Hehe, anything above sweatpants is business formal for a grad student
wink.gif

Sometimes it's just clean sweat pants.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
after seeing your WAYW pics x 2... I actually think it's not that bad. I mean you're not a dirty old man like I thought. As long as you wear it with the hat and everything else is modern it's sort of doable. The lapels and their belly (curve) are pretty dated but the jacket fits you quite well (need to shorten the sleeves though) and the body's a couple of inches long (makes you look short)... still, it's not that bad.

good choice on switching up to a white shirt. Try a very light pink shirt with that navy tie and this sportscoat, then charcoal/navy pants.
give those shoes a good clean and shine
keep the mocassins for casual wear or give 'em to charity.

keep posting and welcome.

I was both surprised and not surprised at what the addition of the hat did today. On the one hand, wasn't expecting it. On the other hand, I always think I end up looking better in it. I don't think it came out in the picture, but the slacks are charcoal rather than black. My original thought with the Moccasins was just that I'd been through all of my other shoes this week and had seen some other threads mentioning them. I figured the response would either be "Interesting, but suitable" or, more likely, what it ended up being. One of my purchases for this month will be the shoe shine kit from Hanger project, though I've not much experience with shining. To whit, my wife wants us to take the kiddo down to my parents this weekend, and I figure a good person to learn from is a marine.

drechie

Reaction score
they carry these at nordstrom rack for about 300-400

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads