• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden restoration: can it make a shoe slightly smaller?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Has anyone here experienced Alden's restorative services? Can they "re-size" the shoe to make it a bit smaller - say, 1/4-1/2 size smaller - (while resoling)? Or is this simply impossible?

Thanks.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Has anyone here experienced Alden's restorative services? Can they "re-size" the shoe to make it a bit smaller - say, 1/4-1/2 size smaller - (while resoling)? Or is this simply impossible?

Thanks.

In the past, Alden could/would size a shoe down one width. I've seen posts on the forums recently saying they no longer offer this service. I'm not sure if that's actually the case. It is my understanding that they will not size down the length at all. If you find out the current situation, please post your findings.

You can also contact Nick V at B Nelson shoes. I've heard he/they are more accommodating towards resizing requests. Of course, they don't have the factory lasts.

ccvle

Reaction score
is it possible to reduce the length?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccvle
is it possible to reduce the length?

I've heard not. At least not by anything much.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I might shoot B Nelson an e-mail. What is it?

Here's the web address:
www.bnelsonshoes.com

Nick posts on this forum:
Nick V.

I'd shoot him a PM and see what he has to say about it. He's very responsive in my experience.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a conversation about this very topic with one of the guys at Alden SF and he said that yes, it could be done.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been told Alden has stopped doing any size/width changes as part of the restoration process. Of course, you do expect them to come back SOMEWHAT tighter as a result of the resole process. In short, yes, it CAN be done - but they don't want the hassle. Couple this with the things that happen unavoidably (like shoes being re-finished against express instructions) and yeah, there's some issues with it.

Partly as a result of this, I've dealt only with Nick at B. Nelson. They'll help you as far as is practically possible, and I've been told they take care to use lasts as close to the original as possible. Better than a local cobbler just using the same metal "foot" for everyone, I daresay.

I would definitely talk to Nick if I wanted to do this kind of thing as part of a resole job, as everyone is saying - that's going to be your best bet no matter which way you go.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Here's the web address:
www.bnelsonshoes.com

Nick posts on this forum:
Nick V.

I'd shoot him a PM and see what he has to say about it. He's very responsive in my experience.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by NAMOR
I had a conversation about this very topic with one of the guys at Alden SF and he said that yes, it could be done.

Thank you... I think I will try Nick first.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Is this for the suede loafers you just got?

Nope. Those are too small...
ffffuuuu.gif

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
What about a tongue pad?

Does this actually work? I always thought tongue pads/heel pads etc. were... not really viable long term.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this actually work? I always thought tongue pads/heel pads etc. were... not really viable long term.

You're welcome. I have a stupidly high instep/arch, so tongue pads have never worked for me. On the other hand, I have been able to make a pair of shoes work using thick moleskin cut to shape in the heel counters.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Mol.../dp/B0013T825C

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads