• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish hiking gear - does it exist?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks for your reply and the links (the second one doesn't seem to go anywhere at this time).

Originally Posted by Nicola
You're hiking over 100km and you're worried about backpack style?
Not worried, just trying to see if anyone has recommendations for functional, yet not too ugly stuff. The trip is a little over 150km, but as mentioned in the OP I'll only have to carry some water, lunch and maybe an extra layer if there's a chance of rain:
Originally Posted by Kaplan
About 20 miles daily, only carrying what's needed on that particular day

I'm guessing after the first day you'd rather a good pack then a stylish one.
I agree:
Like I said in the OP, functionality is key.
But:
As I won't be requiring overly technical gear for this, I might as well pay attention to the aesthetics. Would be nice if what I find could be used elsewhere as well.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
For the hike you're planning, I agree, you don't need anything overly hardcore. Are you having your stuff shipped from hostel to hostel? I know certain tour groups offer that on various walks in Scotland.

enolasfinest

Reaction score
All you need for a hike on most continents can be picked up from Patagoina.

Who gives a sh*t if your hiking gear is stylish, anyhow? It's hiking.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
For the hike you're planning, I agree, you don't need anything overly hardcore. Are you having your stuff shipped from hostel to hostel? I know certain tour groups offer that on various walks in Scotland.
Exactly, the luggage will be transferred between the bed and breakfasts, hotels, etc.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I've done similar things then. I've had good luck with Barbour and my Stockman coat has lasted me through downpours in the Yorkshire Dales. But, if you're not willing to go for that, then something like this:

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel.../1290300860522

Gore-Tex long coat should do you.

I'd be tempted to try to waterproof my zug grain Trickers with a commando sole and just go for it, but, any gore-tex boot shoudl do you. If you're going in the summer, prepare for midges.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Jesus H.

As a dilettante mountaineer, I will say that when it comes to outdoorsy activities, it is much better for you to just worry about safety and comfort over style.

Yup. Unless you are worried about how your frozen corpse will look to the future generations that hike past it

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
I've done similar things then. I've had good luck with Barbour and my Stockman coat has lasted me through downpours in the Yorkshire Dales. But, if you're not willing to go for that, then something like this: Gore-Tex long coat should do you.

I'd be tempted to try to waterproof my zug grain Trickers with a commando sole and just go for it, but, any gore-tex boot shoudl do you. If you're going in the summer, prepare for midges.

I think I'll end up with a fairly conventional 3-layer setup. As for hiking in Trickers and the like I really wouldn't do it for more than a few miles. For this trip I'm planning on getting a pair of Scarpa approach hoes, as I have had good experiences with similar trail running shoes from Salomon when tramping in New Zealand. I might add a pair of light GoreTex boots as well.

I've planned for the trip to be in the first week of May with the hopes of avoiding the midges.

Originally Posted by Big A
Yup. Unless you are worried about how your frozen corpse will look to the future generations that hike past it
As I fully expect to kick the bucket on this trip, I'm obviously concerned about this. But as my top priority still is functionality, maybe not as much as I should be.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Not sure why people are getting so offended that you want to have stylish hiking gear. This is a style forum after all. If you were backpacking that'd be one thing, but your doing day hikes.

Classic style hiking boots are easy enough to find - and those are the most important piece of gear anyway. Break 'em in good first.

I'd try to find some vintage army surplus gear as well.

I think your really just looking for vintage outdoors gear. Perhaps ebay?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
www.mec.ca stocks a full range of stuff. They aren't allowed to sell the full range into the US but you can at least browse.

If you need anything from MEC, let me know and I'll gladly proxy for you.

AE7

Reaction score
just get the haglofs, man.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly, the luggage will be transferred between the bed and breakfasts, hotels, etc.

How / by whom ?

How about starting a thread on the hike in the SLFDT ? The planning, itinerary aspects ...

I am interested in doing the same thing at some point in the future though the prospects are receding with every passing day

matt22616

Reaction score
IMO the most aesthetically pleasing outdoor gear is the most functional gear. If it is the single best garment for a particular purpose, its' function belies its attractiveness.

If you get "heritage" inspired gear you're simply re-creating an outmoded "idea" of performance. Did Hillary do this? No. He used the best gear available to him consisting of the most cutting edge technology.

Bottom: Patagonia stand up shorts in either the 5 or 7" inseam, depending on how big your cajones are. I rock the 5 inchers. Short shorts allow freedom of movement, and these are constructed out of tough-as-nails 10oz canvas. Classics.

Pack: Deuter AC Lite 20. This is the best pack technology currently available. It uses an 'airflow suspension' that keeps the pack directly off of your back, letting your sweat evaporate, as opposed to making you miserable.

Shoes: If you're doing lighter stuff you can't beat what Inov-8 has to offer. Truly great trail kicks. Designed (made?) in Britain.

Outerwear: Arc'Teryx. Game over. The softshells rock worlds.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Originally Posted by Aldehyde
Not sure why people are getting so offended that you want to have stylish hiking gear. This is a style forum after all. If you were backpacking that'd be one thing, but your doing day hikes.
I suspect it's just a knee-jerk reaction to the thread title from those who didn't read or understood the meaning of the thread. I tried to preemt these comments by pointing out that functionality is still my main concern - despite my relaxed requirements. For whatever reason, the SW&D crowd had no problems getting it.

Originally Posted by TRINI
If you need anything from MEC, let me know and I'll gladly proxy for you.
If this was an offer to me, I much appreciate it. I don't think I'll pick up anything I can't try on in person first - but thanks.

Originally Posted by AE7
just get the haglofs, man.
I have a Haglöfs Tight Pro I may end up using if I don't find anything I like better.

Originally Posted by aj_del
How / by whom ?
I haven't decided yet. There are a couple of Danish agencies that offer this type of package deal, but the ones I've seen so far have stretched the route out over more days than I like, with several day hikes of just about 10 miles. I would like to do it in fewer days, averaging about 20 miles daily. If you Google 'The West Highland Way' you'll see some local Scottish offerings, that include accommodations and luggage transport.

Originally Posted by matt22616
IMO the most aesthetically pleasing outdoor gear is the most functional gear. If it is the single best garment for a particular purpose, its' function belies its attractiveness.
I actually agree with this. If my needs ran to highly technical gear, then that's what I would be looking at and then I wouldn't have made this thread. And even though I don't require their level of expertise, I have been checking out some stuff from Arc'teryx earlier this week and will probably end up with one or two of their pieces. Thank you for your other specific recommendations, I will be sure to check them out.

To reiterate:

My needs are not for overly technical gear (carrying a light pack on daywalks in a temperate climate).

I'm looking for stuff that first and foremost is functional, but that doesn't require that I end up like a polyester billboard.

Something that can take me from the trail to the town and that I might even want to use when back in the city.

Not sure if what I have in mind exists, but if it does I suspect some outdoorsy SF'ers might know about it.

That's it
smile.gif

matt22616

Reaction score
Have you checked out Duluth Packs? They have a few models that sound like they're the speed you're going for. Lifetime guarantee.

If you want some tough pants that still look good w/ OCBDs, and even dress shirts, Mountain Khakis has some nice options.

As already stated Filson does some great stuff. Their Tin Cloth Field Jacket is particularly nice, it's like an American Barbour but more rugged and sheds rain a little better. Can't go wrong w/ their belts either, I've got a few. Lifetime guarantee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads