• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Mid-Range Suit? JAB Sig Gold? Jack Victor?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's a little confusing, but here is the breakdown as of last month:

Boss Selection (Tailored Line): Is their MTM line and is fully canvassed but it's also expensive (2-5K?). Only a few locations offer it and it comes from Germany. I don't think their NY location offers it, but the Chicago store does.

Boss Selection: Is their OTR line and is half-canvassed (the 'pinch test' confirms this). You can find good deals on this line during sales and on ebay. I regularly see them on sale for 500-600.

As I said, I have experience with both, and they're equally great.

Boss Black: Fully fused.

If you go to the Hugo Boss store, just ask them to direct you to the Boss Selection suits. They can even show you how to find the half canvass in the suit to confirm it.

Unless they're having a sale, I'd say try the outlet stores.

Hope this helps.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my experience is different. The Boss Selection still has fusible in the upper half. Agreed that their hand tailored options are fully canvassed.

I cannot speak for Boss, but those are my findings. It would not surprise me if some of their Selection has fusible, and some does not.

Regardless of the fusible I found, its still more "constructed" than their black label. Its also possible that the floating piece is much higher than where I pinched.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but where can I find information that describes how suits are put together, i.e. half/full canvased and fused suits?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that I give Hugo Boss ample credit for is how good their suits look. The construction won't match up to a caruso, Isaia, Canali, etc... but their suits are aesthetically pleasing. I get the most compliments when I wear my Boss suits (and chicks really dig it for some reason!).

Interesting note: unlike the other luxury lines, Hugo Boss clothes for men are actually marketed towards women. They did a study that found most shopping for mens clothes is done by women (wives, gfs), so their mens clothes are are advertised in ways that are appealing to women. Smart strategy.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by othertravel
One thing that I give Hugo Boss ample credit for is how good their suits look. The construction won't match up to a caruso, Isaia, Canali, etc... but their suits are aesthetically pleasing. I get the most compliments when I wear my Boss suits (and chicks really dig it for some reason!).

Sad, yet so true. Great suits to wear clubbing/bar hopping. No one can tell its fused. And since they'll only last a few years, you get to get a new suit once it falls apart! Keeping up with fashion!
facepalm.gif

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
I really like my TM Lewin navy 2-button suit. I got mine for $250 on sale with a coupon, free shipping, and VAT subtracted when not in the UK/Europe. Some pluses are that they do in-between sizes (39", 41", etc.) and separate trousers if you have a higher/lower than average waist drop or want a spare pair. The shoulders are pretty structured and the waist is a bit more suppressed than a more conservative suit but overall looks good on a slender or athletic-built man.

The main downside is that you can't try them on in person unless you live in the UK but I've had no problems returning shirts to them for free, my suit even shipped from L.A. so there is no chance of customs charges.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ultra-Violence
I really like my TM Lewin navy 2-button suit. I got mine for $250 on sale with a coupon, free shipping, and VAT subtracted when not in the UK/Europe. Some pluses are that they do in-between sizes (39", 41", etc.) and separate trousers if you have a higher/lower than average waist drop or want a spare pair. The shoulders are pretty structured and the waist is a bit more suppressed than a more conservative suit but overall looks good on a slender or athletic-built man.

The main downside is that you can't try them on in person unless you live in the UK but I've had no problems returning shirts to them for free, my suit even shipped from L.A. so there is no chance of customs charges.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Are TM Lewin suits canvassed, half-canvassed or fused?

How does one get their coupons and/or find out about their specials? How often do they run them?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a stack of HF at NM Last Call in Gurnee today. Reg Price is $600 - there were a few marked down to $400. One was navy (40L)

They also had a ton of Zanella pants for $180

And I believe everything in the store was addl 25% off, although I'm not positive it would have covered the suits.

Grigory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by afuturestrader

Are TM Lewin suits canvassed, half-canvassed or fused?

How does one get their coupons and/or find out about their specials? How often do they run them?

I have both TM Lewin and Jack Victor suits. Lewin's fabric is inferior to Jack Victor. But TML suit fit slimmer. TML suits are obviously not fully canvassed. Difference between half-canvassed and fused suit unfortunately is beyond me. But overall quality of TML is nothing to write home about. I would prefer Jack Victor.

Nick de Sylva

Reaction score
It would be nice if Jack Victor came of age like that other Canadian suit company, Samuelsohn, and offered MTM (with a little bespoke thrown in for repeat business).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads