• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I've Learned in Business So Far...

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Some thoughts on selling solutions with PowerPoint:

I would add: "If it looks like a novel on a slide, find a better way to make your point." The number of people that put complete top-to-bottom text blocks on slides...
devil.gif

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahh...refreshing...subscription sent....Thanks...

deejonaze

Reaction score
Need a luxury hotel? Kimpton is awesome.

I used to work for a Kimpton hotel! Great hotels.

And again, great stuff here!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1. Simpler is better.

I thought this was extremely important, so I quoted it. And again:

1. Simpler is better.

...and again:

1. Simpler is better.

...and once again:

1. Simpler is better.

So, is that clear, all you I'm-going-to-cram-214-words-into-each-slide-type guys???

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I thought this was extremely important, so I quoted it. And again:

...and again:

...and once again:

So, is that clear, all you I'm-going-to-cram-214-words-into-each-slide-type guys???

I didn't read that so much as "Simple" in terms of slide layout -- moreso "Don't overdo it with graphics, flashy whizzbang that doesn't add to the presentation, etc". Both are of course extremely valid points (hence my post 2 or 3 above this).

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The more aesthetically pleasing your work is the better the information will be received. If this is an excel graph, a PPT, or a any other presentation of info, people will be able to better focus on the content of the information.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Yes, simpler is better.

Or as Einstein said, "Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."

Want to see state of the art PPT and presentation delivery?

Watch the keynotes that Steve Jobs delivers. Look at the simplicity of the slides which are actually done in Apple's Keynote software. Spectacular.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, simpler is better.

Or as Einstein said, "Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."

Want to see state of the art PPT and presentation delivery?

Watch the keynotes that Steve Jobs delivers. Look at the simplicity of the slides which are actually done in Apple's Keynote software. Spectacular.

I had the chance to see his WWDC iPhone 3G keynote in person and very briefly meet him after. I've been to a lot of great concerts, and no one has stage presence or a perfection of delivery like him, so a huge +1 to this.

One of my favorite business presentations that I've seen (over and over) was a particular part of the original iPhone introduction where Jobs says 'we're introducing 3 new products - but they're one device.' The way he repeats 'widescreen ipod w/ touch controls, a revolutionary mobile phone, and breakthrough internet communicator' exactly 2 and 2/3rds times (that's right, a fraction, because he knew how to prepare the slides to have the audience in a fury) is something you could teach an entire class about. I wasn't there for it, but wish I could've been.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
He certainly doesn't stick to the 28 slide limit though...

True. He is the exception here. My boss is a highly charismatic individual like Jobs. He can get people excited enough to sit through the content. In my experience only a few people like this exist.

And like Jobs his slides tend to be visual as opposed to text. And my boss has a secret weapon-me.
smile.gif
I do good PPT visuals and translate our joint ideas into slides.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I had the chance to see his WWDC iPhone 3G keynote in person and very briefly meet him after. I've been to a lot of great concerts, and no one has stage presence or a perfection of delivery like him, so a huge +1 to this.

One of my favorite business presentations that I've seen (over and over) was a particular part of the original iPhone introduction where Jobs says 'we're introducing 3 new products - but they're one device.' The way he repeats 'widescreen ipod w/ touch controls, a revolutionary mobile phone, and breakthrough internet communicator' exactly 2 and 2/3rds times (that's right, a fraction, because he knew how to prepare the slides to have the audience in a fury) is something you could teach an entire class about. I wasn't there for it, but wish I could've been.

Actually he said they were introducing three new revolutionary products and had the audience figure out that it was all on one device... a far better delivery method.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
How to get people and clients to like you... 1. Be funny. Humor sells. Humor personalizes someone. Humor entertains. 2. Be humble. People hate know it alls. People hate arrogance. People want to have a beer with humble people. Yeah, I know, this from a guy writing a thread titled "What I've Learned" and an ex-McKinsey guy too!
laugh.gif
{I will pause here to let the irony pass.} 3. Be honest. If you have bad news for a client, deliver it early, truthfully, and with an action plan to fix if that is possible. Offer to eat the costs of making right if need be.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Actually he said they were introducing three new revolutionary products and had the audience figure out that it was all on one device... a far better delivery method.

I paraphrased, and he does say (this time verbatim) "These aren't three separate devices...it's one device, and we're calling it..............iPhone" - but you knew what I meant
smile.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How to get people and clients to like you...

1. Be funny. Humor sells. Humor personalizes someone.

2. Be humble. People hate know it alls.

3. Be honest. If you have bad news for a client, deliver it early, truthfully, and with an action plan to fix if that is possible. Offer to eat the costs of making right if need be.

Yeah, I know, this from a guy writing a thread titled "What I've Learned"
laugh.gif
{I will pause here to let the irony pass.}

You know, people can be smart, humble, and funny. I call it quirky.
tongue.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watched that Keynote, and I still contend that this is exactly what most business meetings should not be...

I'm not criticizing Jobs - or the presentation he gives. Based on his audience (already evangelized), and his purpose (market a product) - he is on point.

However, if I gave you that presentation with no audio - you would be absolutely lost. The "Who Wants a Stylus" slide should NEVER make it in front of a client. If the wrong person sees it, they could actually believe the device will have a stylus.

In this case, Jobs and the product are the focus, and the presentation is backdrop.

If you owe a contracted work product that will be delivered in PPT format and you hand this over, it won't matter how awesome your presentation is, because some exec will miss your delivery and want to fall back on the deck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads