• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Never been much of a saddle or nst fan, but these shoes that Tom came up with are gorgeous. Great make-up Tom.

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...e-blucher-lsw/

What is 'saddle'? I assume it's not cordovan right?

Also, do NST Alden's on the Barrie last fit about the same as the LWB on the Barrie last?

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound

Also, do NST Alden's on the Barrie last fit about the same as the LWB on the Barrie last?

Saddle is a style of shoe, and has nothing to do with the leather used to construct it. The shoes I linked are #8 shell.

In regard to fit, they fit the same.

Neilius

Reaction score
I have to say, I have just about had it with Alden cordovan. I have three pairs, the newest three years old, and the wax just never stops leaching out of the leather, leaving clouding and spots. I buff, and heat it with a hair dryer and buff again, and when I finally get all the wax off, it's back again after the next wearing.
I also have a pair of Church's cordovans. Never had the wax-leaching problem.
So I am sticking with calfskin or suede. I still love the product.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neilius
I have to say, I have just about had it with Alden cordovan. I have three pairs, the newest three years old, and the wax just never stops leaching out of the leather, leaving clouding and spots. I buff, and heat it with a hair dryer and buff again, and when I finally get all the wax off, it's back again after the next wearing. I also have a pair of Church's cordovans. Never had the wax-leaching problem. So I am sticking with calfskin or suede. I still love the product.
The pamphlet that came from Alden with my cordovan 975s states: "-Do not use a neutral color polish as it will leave a white film as you wear your cordovan shoes. -Do not subject cordovan shoes to any drying heat. They must dry natrually when wet or heat my crack the leather. " Were yours ever polished with a neutral polish?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
J. Gilbert appears to be enamored with the . . . commando soles.

J. Gilbert is by Pike Place Market in Seattle. In Seattle it rains a lot.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
I have to say, I have just about had it with Alden cordovan. I have three pairs, the newest three years old, and the wax just never stops leaching out of the leather, leaving clouding and spots. I buff, and heat it with a hair dryer and buff again, and when I finally get all the wax off, it's back again after the next wearing.
I also have a pair of Church's cordovans. Never had the wax-leaching problem.
So I am sticking with calfskin or suede. I still love the product.

Hair Dryer?!
censored.gif

Neilius

Reaction score
The hair dryer thing was suggested by Alden itself, after dire warnings against using any sort of chemical to remove the wax. It does work. A little hot air softens the wax spots enough that they can be buffed off with a soft (Alden) cloth.
I follow the instructions precisely. I use very little wax, I always use Alden wax, and I use the color appropriate to the shoes (black, burgundy and cigar). But keeping the spots and clouding off them is such a stupendous pain ********** that I wish I had never heard the word cordovan.
All that said, Alden makes a cool shoe, and Barrie fits me perfectly. The summer oxfords are marvellous. I just bought a pair of the brown chromexels and tan suede longwings from Winn Perry, and snuff suede bluchers from LSBH.
But no more horsehide. Waste of time and money, in my humble opinion.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hair dryer thing was suggested by Alden itself, after dire warnings against using any sort of chemical to remove the wax. It does work. A little hot air softens the wax spots enough that they can be buffed off with a soft (Alden) cloth.
I follow the instructions precisely. I use very little wax, I always use Alden wax, and I use the color appropriate to the shoes (black, burgundy and cigar). But keeping the spots and clouding off them is such a stupendous pain ********** that I wish I had never heard the word cordovan.
All that said, Alden makes a cool shoe, and Barrie fits me perfectly. The summer oxfords are marvellous. I just bought a pair of the brown chromexels and tan suede longwings from Winn Perry, and snuff suede bluchers from LSBH.
But no more horsehide. Waste of time and money, in my humble opinion.

Post pics so we can see them.

borderline

Reaction score

Saddle shoes are only made from cordovan. That particular horse was mostly likely ridden the same day the cordovan was harvested. Instead of wasting that extra leather, they use part of the saddle for the middle part of the shoe. Then the nails from the horseshoes are used to fasten the heels to the sole. We won't talk about the glue.

ozzyboo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
J. Gilbert appears to be enamored with the Plaza last and commando soles. I'd like to see them make some boots on the aberdeen last and with a double leather sole.

Originally Posted by Dewey
J. Gilbert is by Pike Place Market in Seattle. In Seattle it rains a lot.

I for one am grateful that J. Gilbert, Blackbird, and Winn Perry (sorry to see that place go) offer Aldens with soles other than double leather. I would love to order some of the mainstays from Shoe Mart or The Alden Shop but can't pull the trigger on double leather soles when the sidewalks are wet three out of four seasons.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
This is whiskey with very light BB khakis. Ravello is definitely no problem, lots of contrast.
This is a topic of some interest for me - I wear a lot of khakis, especially in the warmer months. I've found that ravello isn't an issue, but whiskey can be - by way of example, I have a pair of whiskey PTB's that have some of that "textured color" look to them a bit, and those work better than my unlined BB whiskey LHS which are a much more smooth, light color. I do end up wearing my cigar more than either ravello or whiskey - the logic that it's more versatile is true- but still. It's a little scary when I pick my shoes before the rest of my outfit on some days, just because I want a certain pair to get wear that day!
laugh.gif

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't like whiskey that much. Sorta looks like pee color or something, especially in certain lighting.

If your pee is that color, it may be best to see a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics