• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*moves back to NYC*

Frere Taz

Reaction score
Hi Forumers,

My first post and didn't want a splash, so I'll just slide one in right here:
DC sux for shopping and everything else (but politics?).
I moved here from Chicago for work, and basically cry myself to sleep every night.
I'm in my 30's.

So there's my intro!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frere Taz
Hi Forumers,

I moved here from Chicago for work, and basically cry myself to sleep every night.
I'm in my 30's.

So there's my intro!

You're not winning.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Hi Forumers,

I'm in my 30's.

So there's my intro!

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
You're not winning.

+1. there are winners and there are losers. you sound like a loser.

IMG_1439.JPG

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually DC has very good shopping. it's the politics that suck. It's very interesting to me how people bash DC shopping when it's the consumer who dictates what is being sold. The washington area in a test ground for department stores. It's hard for a specialty store to succeed when the customer base is a handful of people and of the handful of people half only want something on sale.

Think about it.

2 saks and a saks mens store
2 neimuns
2 or 3 bloomies
at least 3 nordies
2 barney's co-ops

and that's just the beginning.
Specialty stores-
lost boys
redeem
rue14
relish
passport
and other that I dont know exist.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
actually DC has very good shopping. it's the politics that suck. It's very interesting to me how people bash DC shopping when it's the consumer who dictates what is being sold. The washington area in a test ground for department stores. It's hard for a specialty store to succeed when the customer base is a handful of people and of the handful of people half only want something on sale.

Think about it.

2 saks and a saks mens store
2 neimuns
2 or 3 bloomies
at least 3 nordies
2 barney's co-ops

and that's just the beginning.
Specialty stores-
lost boys
redeem
rue14
relish
passport
and other that I dont know exist.

it is essentially impossible for customers to "vote with their money" when the stores don't even carry your size. Saks in Chevy Chase dropped Dries van Noten, they don't carry 46 in Jil Sander, they packed up Dior Homme and shoved it into boutiques in NY and LA and they dropped Gucci.

Bloomies in Chevy Chase is actually pretty good. They carry Burberry Prorsum and Neil Barrett.
Neimans is a total joke that caters to hip hop black people and old men in suits. How can I vote with my dollars there if they carry nothing but garbage Etro and Armani. Every Neimans I've been into has sucked for men.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, yes Mauro. As individual customers we entirely dictate what other people buy/what stores are supported.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ silly me.

sq4u-
that's bullshit. If a product doesn't have a good sell through it's dropped. Neimuns used to be packed with gucci and jil. That customer isn't here anymore. The customer wants Hugo Boss, theory, zenga, brioni,etc

Thom Browne will disappear if people don't buy his stuff at Barney's.

There are PLENTY of good things to be had and if it's in another store it can always be requested and sent to the store you choose. You should know this using a personal shopper and all.

As far as Gucci is concerned go to the gucci store and have it sent if they don't stock it.

The point is if you want it you can get , here in DC. If you really want to change things have your friends and others start requesting the brands you wish for and actually buy it. It will happen , I know from experience.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
mauro is right. those stores stock what they stock because people buy it. sorry if your aesthetic is unpopular.

Frere Taz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
+1. there are winners and there are losers. you sound like a loser.

IMG_1439.JPG

I come in here, make one post, and u declare me a loser.
No prob, man.
I think u are one of us (Losers) then, and a bigger one to boot.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
mauro is right. those stores stock what they stock because people buy it. sorry if your aesthetic is unpopular.

Unfortunately true

I'm in the same boat with sq

size 34-36 jacket, XS-S shirt, 29-30 pants, and I like many of the brands mentioned

but unfortunately just like in real voting, majority rules, and I'm definitely not in it

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ but you can still get what you want.
I would like to think you would like my stuff. I cater to a smaller guy.
I make a 34 chest to a 44 chest and a 27 waist to a 36 ( sometimes 38)
Even if you don't shop with me and prefer Barney's or Saks just ask a sale rep to order it and they will.
After a while you will see more stuff in your size.
You also need to establish a relationship with a sales rep. If he or she knows you are an "XS" and are looking for "xs" have that person call you. Honor his /her call and check out what they have. It will work to your advantage especially if they only get 1 xs per size run of the designers you seek.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
^^ but you can still get what you want. I would like to think you would like my stuff. I cater to a smaller guy. I make a 34 chest to a 44 chest and a 27 waist to a 36 ( sometimes 38) Even if you don't shop with me and prefer Barney's or Saks just ask a sale rep to order it and they will. After a while you will see more stuff in your size. You also need to establish a relationship with a sales rep. If he or she knows you are an "XS" and are looking for "xs" have that person call you. Honor his /her call and check out what they have. It will work to your advantage especially if they only get 1 xs per size run of the designers you seek.
Thanks, this is good advice. I'm new to the fashunz, so I'm still learning a lot. I'm trying to buy less online and more in physical locations, for various reasons, but I probably don't have enough of an income for a sales rep to care about me (I can spend maybe $500/month on clothes, max). it's good to keep in mind, regardless Does WvG have a retail location in DC? Oh, and where do I look for deets on that trunk sale?

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
I come in here, make one post, and u declare me a loser.
No prob, man.
I think u are one of us (Losers) then, and a bigger one to boot.

well i was semi joking. but the fact that you declare everything in DC to suck leads me to question your taste in everything. obviously dc fashion (oxymoron) is non-existent, but there is tons of good food, lots of good bands come to DC, there are lots of great bars, GT is awesome, the verizon center is pretty cool, chinatown is great, U st, H st, lots of different types of girls, raggae nights at ESL, latin nights at madame's organ, etc etc etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads