• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pimpmystyle
Damm, I think you're right. This means we may be getting second hand, or even third hand goods on returns.

I've gotten many of the same things that have come packaged completely different. Some just bagged, but some boxed and bagged.
And some things that were sold out, but a few weeks later were back in stock.
It's smart for them, but I wonder how the quality control on returns is. I've had to return a few things because the sizing was marked wrong (a med sweater that was really a large, and a shirt that had one sleeve from a small...) It would be pretty lame to keep selling these items.

Qudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
I've gotten many of the same things that have come packaged completely different. Some just bagged, but some boxed and bagged.
And some things that were sold out, but a few weeks later were back in stock.
It's smart for them, but I wonder how the quality control on returns is. I've had to return a few things because the sizing was marked wrong (a med sweater that was really a large, and a shirt that had one sleeve from a small...) It would be pretty lame to keep selling these items.

I think their sizing is just a bit off in general, not because it was returned.

Qudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peter1
Seconded. I just missed the 30% off earlier this week.
Same, trying to get a few more of their Heritage Poplins, which fit really well. Unfortunately, according to LEC customer service, that's the only shirt they have that's slimmer through the waist.
frown.gif

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
Tried on their long sleeve t shirt in small. The sleeves are too long and the fit is slightly baggy.

This is in contrast to their blazers, which are comically tight through the waist, and their shirts which are very constricting through the chest. Both items have sleeves that run long.

That means I can't size up to medium, since the sleeves then would be comically long, even if the waist and chest dimensions were more adequate.

What are their 'designers' thinking?

officeboy

Reaction score
Tried on their long sleeve t shirt in small. The sleeves are too long and the fit is slightly baggy.

This is in contrast to their blazers, which are comically tight through the waist, and their shirts which are very constricting through the chest. Both items have sleeves that run long.

That means I can't size up to medium, since the sleeves then would be comically long, even if the waist and chest dimensions were more adequate.

What are their 'designers' thinking?

Thankfully they were thinking of me. Even then the sleeves are a little short still. It's amazing how fairly minor changes in the human body can totally change a fit.
Also maybe your better off with regular lands end tailored or regular fit?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
^ Wow, the blazers are comically tight through the waist, as in having a big drop? I may have to check those out. I'm a fan of the cardigan I got (sized down one), even if the collar is a little odd.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Now that this thread is on its 118th page, I finally decided to try on several LEC items. A few random thoughts:

LEC is a true bargain: The sale prices for LEC items are astonishing. At deep discount, you can't find a comparable slim-fit button-down shirt or polo anywhere else.

LEC fabric quality is lower than mainline Lands End: This was pretty apparent to me as soon as I started trying on various items. My mainline LE plaid shirts are incredibly soft to the touch. The LEC ones not so much. Likewise, mainline polos use a more substantial cotton than LEC ones. Across the board, LEC button-down shirts use thinner fabric compared to their mainline LE equivalents. This is not bad in and of itself - come summer, the lighter fabrics will be very handy. But know what you're getting into ahead of time.

Sizing is inconsistent: What everyone has been saying is true. I'm 6'0, 175 lbs with an athletic build, and I tend to wear slim fit mediums from most companies. In LEC:
  • Medium polos = perfect across shoulders and chest
  • Medium sweaters = way too big across shoulders and chest
  • Small sweaters = way too tight across shoulders and chest
  • Medium button-downs = variable ... generally big across shoulders and chest
  • Small button-downs = variable ... generally tight across shoulders and chest
  • Blazers = I'm a 38 or 40 in most brands. LEC 40 fits me well
Try mainline LE instead of LEC for certain items: LE plaid shirts, slim fit oxford shirts, and slim-fit dress shirts are noticeably better in terms of quality (and potentially fit).

Overall I like LEC a lot: Lands End's biggest flaw has always been its sizing aimed at fat people. LEC resolves some of this problem, and at decent prices. At discount, some of their basics are absolute no-brainers.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Now that this thread is on its 118th page, I finally decided to try on several LEC items. A few random thoughts:

LEC is a true bargain: The sale prices for LEC items are astonishing. At deep discount, you can't find a comparable slim-fit button-down shirt or polo anywhere else.

LEC fabric quality is lower than mainline Lands End: This was pretty apparent to me as soon as I started trying on various items. My mainline LE plaid shirts are incredibly soft to the touch. The LEC ones not so much. Likewise, mainline polos use a more substantial cotton than LEC ones. Across the board, LEC button-down shirts use thinner fabric compared to their mainline LE equivalents. This is not bad in and of itself - come summer, the lighter fabrics will be very handy. But know what you're getting into ahead of time.

Sizing is inconsistent: What everyone has been saying is true. I'm 6'0, 175 lbs with an athletic build, and I tend to wear slim fit mediums from most companies. In LEC:
  • Medium polos = perfect across shoulders and chest
  • Medium sweaters = way too big across shoulders and chest
  • Small sweaters = way too tight across shoulders and chest
  • Medium button-downs = variable ... generally big across shoulders and chest
  • Small button-downs = variable ... generally tight across shoulders and chest
  • Blazers = I'm a 38 or 40 in most brands. LEC 40 fits me well
Try mainline LE instead of LEC for certain items: LE plaid shirts, slim fit oxford shirts, and slim-fit dress shirts are noticeably better in terms of quality (and potentially fit).

Overall I like LEC a lot: Lands End's biggest flaw has always been its sizing aimed at fat people. LEC resolves some of this problem, and at decent prices. At discount, some of their basics are absolute no-brainers.

^Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. Cheap staples and good although sporadic fits. All the jersey polos I have fit me, but my navy is noticeably longer in the sleeves than my gull gray one. The thin fabrics work for me as weather is usually quite nice (just not now
frown.gif
).

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for me, lec has been clutch for starting a halfway decent wardrobe. Sure, the shirts don't fit that well, but to go from no casual button downs to 4 or 5 for under $70 or whatever is awesome. In the future I can invest in nicer/better fitting shirts, but lec has been a great way to hold me over.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
thedroog posted a nice summary for any potential initiates.

I have been satisfied with standard LE purchases: good quality, standard measurements, at a fair price.

Overall, I think LEC was rushed into production. Their sizing is both inconsistent and to a large extent, an unrealistic estimation of what young adults can and will wear. They relied too heavily on social media for visibility, and spent too little time actually researching what a normal human body looks like.

It's disappointing but for the minority who can actually fit the strange dimensions LEC provides, it may be a great buy.

thisfits

Reaction score
Overall, I think LEC was rushed into production. Their sizing is both inconsistent and to a large extent, an unrealistic estimation of what young adults can and will wear. They relied too heavily on social media for visibility, and spent too little time actually researching what a normal human body looks like.

I think this is overly harsh. Every indication I've seen is that this was a well thought out and executed brand launch. Social media wasn't just used for visibility; their initial focus group was recruited through social media as well. Rather than take on the financial risk of a massive nationwide launch through traditional means, they wisely used their marketing dollars for a soft launch that targeted segments that they knew would be interested in their products and would give blunt but helpful feedback. Even in 2011, taking this unconventional approach is treated skeptically by many large corporations, so I applaud Lands' End for taking a risk.

I agree with you that there are issues with inconsistent sizing and fit, but lets be realistic: there is no such thing as a a "normal human body." General dimensions for humans in the healthy BMI range have been known for centuries, but once people's bodies put on additional weight, it adjusts shape in all sorts of unpredictable ways. Can't find it now, but the NY Times had an interesting article a few months back about how this very challenge makes it so hard to design fashionable plus-size clothing.

And of course, even within healthy BMI there's variation: while I wish LEC's sleeves were about two inches shorter, I know other people wish they were an inch or two longer.

Given those challenges, I can appreciate that LEC responded to general feedback about mainline Lands' End by introducing a slimmer fit, even if I find that some items don't fit me well (blazers) and I have to switch sizes on others (Small in shirts and sweaters, probably a Medium in polos).

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
We can be as harsh as we want! That's only beneficial to LEC, however long the line lasts.

Their sizing is really far outside of any line I've tried. Most aim for the sweet spot (whether traditional or slim fit), and as a result, I rarely have issues with sizing. I'm approx. 38" chest and 32" waist, and s small, even slim fit, is usually an automatic decision.

But with LEC, there's almost always a problem. For shirts, too tight through the chest, and too long in the sleeves. The blazers are comically tight through the waist. But their t shirts are a bit too loose. And it's widely agreed that their sweaters run a size too large, although I found their small to be very fitted rather than too large.

In other words, there is no consistency whatsoever in their sizing. There is no "philosophy" guiding their sizing at all. What's even more odd is that their posted measurements are exactly the same for LE and LEC, yet they fit very, very differently.

The thing is, I like how a lot of their line looks, and of course the price is right. But it's very rare that I can fit into one of their shirts sweaters or blazers properly.

Originally Posted by thisfits
I think this is overly harsh. Every indication I've seen is that this was a well thought out and executed brand launch. Social media wasn't just used for visibility; their initial focus group was recruited through social media as well. Rather than take on the financial risk of a massive nationwide launch through traditional means, they wisely used their marketing dollars for a soft launch that targeted segments that they knew would be interested in their products and would give blunt but helpful feedback. Even in 2011, taking this unconventional approach is treated skeptically by many large corporations, so I applaud Lands' End for taking a risk.

I agree with you that there are issues with inconsistent sizing and fit, but lets be realistic: there is no such thing as a a "normal human body." General dimensions for humans in the healthy BMI range have been known for centuries, but once people's bodies put on additional weight, it adjusts shape in all sorts of unpredictable ways. Can't find it now, but the NY Times had an interesting article a few months back about how this very challenge makes it so hard to design fashionable plus-size clothing.

And of course, even within healthy BMI there's variation: while I wish LEC's sleeves were about two inches shorter, I know other people wish they were an inch or two longer.

Given those challenges, I can appreciate that LEC responded to general feedback about mainline Lands' End by introducing a slimmer fit, even if I find that some items don't fit me well (blazers) and I have to switch sizes on others (Small in shirts and sweaters, probably a Medium in polos).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads