• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Tailor- Input on Jacket Length

The King of Teeth

Reaction score
I have this new tailor Im working with and here is our first work in progress. Slacks, shirt and jacket were created. I travel a ton so we wanted to go with a more durable fabric for the first round.

On the shirt- should I take a bit more on the sides? Im afraid one cheeseburger meal and they will get too tight.

Pants fit pretty good- sorry for the drape in one of the pictures but I have no complaints there.

On the jacket- is it too form fitting? I like the look and dont want it baggy but should we let a bit out.

I have comissioned a 3 piece suit (Zegna cloth - light grey color) so Ill take any constructive criticism on the first round to make the second round even better.

The King of Teeth

Reaction score
Yeah- Im about 6'4 210 pounds. Kind of a big guy. The jacket is very form fitting which I like. But is it too much? hmmmm. Im sure Im gonna get flamed here but Ill take any constructive criticism to get better.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The King of Teeth
Yeah- Im about 6'4 210 pounds. Kind of a big guy. The jacket is very form fitting which I like. But is it too much? hmmmm. Im sure Im gonna get flamed here but Ill take any constructive criticism to get better.

Yeah, it's a little snug dude. If you drop something, can you pick it up, or do you just call it lost?

The King of Teeth

Reaction score
It is a bit snug...my only issue is that I dont know if I like it snug or should go a bit bigger. Will have to sleep on it and get some other opinions as well. I sent the photos to my guy to see what he says. It doesnt feel this snug in person but definitely I agree the photos make it look a bit form fitting.

What are your guys thoughts on the shirt?

Will C.

Reaction score
It's not bad. I think the jacket would look better if the buttoning point were at least an inch lower.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
I think this is a pretty good effort for the first go around. I'd let the coat out a bit; it's still going to look shaped, because your shoulders are so broad and already give you a V shape naturally. I think the buttoning point is fine. I might go 1/4" or 1/2" longer next go around, but this is more a matter of taste than anything. The shirt looks good to me. If a shirt looks plastered on in pictures, it can't be comfortable in real life, so I would hesitate before taking inches off the side. The trousers look pretty good but they might be able to use a slightly shorter hem.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
It's not bad. I think the jacket would look better if the buttoning point were at least an inch lower.

+1 An inch lower I think would be perfect.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.

Originally Posted by Matt S
+1 An inch lower I think would be perfect.

Agree, but I would also say that the sleeves need work, especially at the back where they join the arm-hole. In fact the whole back of the jacket could do with a bit of a tidy up, the cloth looks pretty light weight which probably exasperates the problem a bit.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt looks fine. Can you swing your arms around freely? If not, you might want a little looser, but thats up to you.

Jacket looks really form fitting to me. Makes you look like an inverted triangle. Shortness of cut helps with that effect. It'll probably wrinkle a lot from being so form fitting IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads