• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
1. I like my PSs to be light to medium in color as my suits are generally medium to dark in color. A burgundy PS with a navy / charcoal suit does not work IMO

It works and works well.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
It is remarkable to me how many people come to SF to ask about pocket squares. The following is a good basic summery by Alan Flusser from his book Clothes and the Man.

A simple white handkerchief is all that is necessary to complete the business ensemble. It is also the least expensive way a man can quickly elevate his level of style. The handkerchief, like the hose, gives a man one more opportunity to do something a little out of the ordinary, something a bit more inventive. A white handkerchief placed in the breast pocket of a dark suit offers a touch of elegance and is sure sign of a confident and knowledgeable dresser.

+1 couldn't agree more with the above.

Excellent thread btw.

emptym

Reaction score
Great thread, G. Love the pics too. I have a question: Do you think some types of material are best done in certain types of folds or puffs? Silk, for example, seems to me to look best as a puff and linen as a fold. I have no idea about wool, since I don't have one. Any thoughts?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like all the photos in this thread so far.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
f09d8228.jpg

Not really digging this one. Seems way off palette.

The problem I have with my squares is scale. Damn things are either so large I can't get them well into my pocket, or so small they don't sit in place. A square is dapper when it's there, but if you're fussing with it all the time it moves quickly into the realm of gimmicky.

southernstyle

Reaction score
Moving beyond white shirts and white linen pocket squares (we can come back at any time
smile.gif
)

I like the way this guy is adding a whole new color of green. Yet the polka dots tie in nicely by matching his shirt color for a coordinated look.

If you are new to pocket squares, consider small polka dots in white or light/medium blue so they will coordinate with your most common shirt colors in a subtle way.

61510Sunglasses_1725Web.jpg

Any idea what kind of glasses these are?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
The problem I have with my squares is scale. Damn things are either so large I can't get them well into my pocket, or so small they don't sit in place. A square is dapper when it's there, but if you're fussing with it all the time it moves quickly into the realm of gimmicky.

Try this fold as demonstrated by Will of A Suitable Wardrobe. It should fit in almost any pocket. I like its relaxed look and the subtle points. BTW it works equally as well with a silk square.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...et-square.html

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Do you think some types of material are best done in certain types of folds or puffs? Silk, for example, seems to me to look best as a puff and linen as a fold. I have no idea about wool, since I don't have one. Any thoughts?
Wool- folded in a TV shape, loose fold or with peaks. (Luciano Barbera does a very cool loose fold, nice relaxed look) Silk- in a swirling poof or with a puff and relaxed points exposed behind. Silk doesn't ever look right to me in a TV fold but it can work in a loose fold. Depends upon the colors and pattern. Linen- TV fold, Loose fold, Poof/Puff with points (my favorite with linen) Cotton - see Linen Socks- on your feet

Mr. White

Reaction score
Just as you'd never go out looking like you don't give a damn, never leave the house looking like you're trying to impress others.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Wool- folded in a TV shape, loose fold or with peaks. (Luciano Barbera does a very cool loose fold, nice relaxed look)

Silk- in a swirling poof or with a puff and relaxed points exposed behind. Silk doesn't ever look right to me in a TV fold but it can work in a loose fold. Depends upon the colors and pattern.

Linen- TV fold, Loose fold, Poof/Puff with points (my favorite with linen)

Cotton - see Linen

Socks- on your feet

Could you provide me with a link that shows how to fold each of these.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Just as you'd never go out looking like you don't give a damn, never leave the house looking like you're trying to impress others.

This is a good point. I think it was Will who said, "You don't want it to look too studied". In the 80's guys had these complex PS folds. They looked way too uptight and stiff. A relaxed PS fold is a good way to convey a more relaxed personal style. Have fun with it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are a few suggestions for wearing a pocket square:

1)\tWhen in doubt, skip it.
2)\tOn the fence? Wear the white linen one.
3)\tThere is more to wearing pocket squares than a TV fold. That too shall pass.....again as it did in the 60's and look dated. Enjoy the look now, but work on other folds. Try them all and enjoy the variety.
4)\tThere are ugly pocket squares out there. If not sure if you own one see #1.
5)\tWear colors that are in harmony with the season. Some, not all, look their best in spring/ summer or fall/winter. Put them away with your other seasonal ties, socks, etc. Of course, some colors and patterns are appropriate year-round and keep those in regular rotation.

Eh? Beyond job interviews and funerals I can't imagine any other time a pocket square seems doubtful? I only wear white linen or silk, neatly folded. When I toughen up, I'll venture into some color and patterns.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
Could you provide me with a link that shows how to fold each of these.

The master shows a loose fold at 28 seconds

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads