• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How is this price for alterations

gabby11303

Reaction score
I took a pair of dress pants to a well reviewed tailor in the dc area. Just getting the waist taken out. $24

Is that pricey or normal

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pricey!

gabby11303

Reaction score
What is a decent price? Is it better to pay extra for a trusted place or take a chance at the local cleaner? I have no tailors near me. Only cleaners who do alterations.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a good price if you trust the tailor to be good. I altered the waist of a couple of low-rise pants for $45 each, because they had to be taken in from the side seams, instead of the rear seam.

I was once lured by an $8 hem sign at the dry cleaners. Brought in 6 pants. All of them were badly altered. Went to my trusted tailor that does it for $15/hem and had to get them all re-done. Lesson learned, better to pay more once and be happy with your clothes.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gabby11303
I took a pair of dress pants to a well reviewed tailor in the dc area. Just getting the waist taken out. $24

Is that pricey or normal

No --The tailor I go to charges just light of that, and it's Jacksonville, Fl..All prices,as well as wages are a good bit less here than up North, esp. like DC or NY etc.

Originally Posted by rebel222
Depends on if the seat would have to be taken out as well.

You either get cheap or "well reviewed." You don't get both.

When you let out the waist, you need to open up the waist band and let it out down past the seat or you're not doing it evenly and it will show as a rumple. He's not going to the mall, he's going to a pro.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is a decent price? Is it better to pay extra for a trusted place or take a chance at the local cleaner? I have no tailors near me. Only cleaners who do alterations.

if that is ur only option in your area...go with it!

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Is that pricey or normal

i just went today to get the same thing done, i paid $12 and i feel ripped off...
i wanted to get the pants tapered but they wanted $25, i told them no way! another place that was recommended to me as doing a good job wants $14!!!

i am in brooklyn, ny

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that pricey or normal

You can't put a price on a good tailor...my tailor is in the same ball park but I consider it money well spent. My tailor is also in DC and I took him an overcoat last week and it cost $37 to have the sleeves shortened.

Who is your tailor in DC?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
i just went today to get the same thing done, i paid $12 and i feel ripped off...
i wanted to get the pants tapered but they wanted $25, i told them no way! another place that was recommended to me as doing a good job wants $14!!!

i am in brooklyn, ny

where did u go??

gabby11303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
You can't put a price on a good tailor...my tailor is in the same ball park but I consider it money well spent. My tailor is also in DC and I took him an overcoat last week and it cost $37 to have the sleeves shortened.

Who is your tailor in DC?

I went to montgomery custom tailors. I did a search on yelp and they had the most reviews closest to my work and all were good.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
where did u go??

i went to a cleaners on albany ave and union street, brooklyn, 11213, it was convenient

there is a place on nostrand ave and union that is amazing and cheap apparently, i will use them next week for something

this is the place on nostrand:

Roy Hudson Tailor Shop
1261 Union St # C, NY 11225-1551
(718) 756-6725 ‎

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
i went to a cleaners on albany ave and union street, brooklyn, 11213, it was convenient

there is a place on nostrand ave and union that is amazing and cheap apparently, i will use them next week for something

this is the place on nostrand:

Roy Hudson Tailor Shop
1261 Union St # C, NY 11225-1551
(718) 756-6725 ‎

i take all of my stuff to stanton. i learned many years ago that a cleaners sometimes can do a good job, but charge much more.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to montgomery custom tailors. I did a search on yelp and they had the most reviews closest to my work and all were good.

Its also a little more expensive because its in Bethesda...my tailor is in Georgetown so I'm also paying a premium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads