• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series

cronicmole

Reaction score
oldog/oldtrix;4182447 said:

It takes a man with outrageous swag and confidence to pull off this outfit without being called Ricky Martin's poolboy

CaymanS

Reaction score
cronicmole;4183363 said:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

It takes a man with outrageous swag and confidence to pull off this outfit without being called Ricky Martin's poolboy

Exackery. Oldog is slaying. The man is on a killing spree.

p.s. Can we do a cage-match swag-off between oldog and kitonbrioni to see who has the most cat-daddy-at-the-club swag? I want to see this.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cronicmole

laugh.gif
lol8[1].gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I love white squares in the TV fold. I like white shirts too. And I even like them together. Maybe it's the Trad in me.

Frankly, most guys who are really into clothes -- myself included -- could do with more minimalist restraint, not less.

+Infinity.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I love white squares in the TV fold. I like white shirts too. And I even like them together. Maybe it's the Trad in me.

Frankly, most guys who are really into clothes -- myself included -- could do with more minimalist restraint, not less.

very well stated. I concur.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
wait .... what?

i respect you emptym, but this is ridiculous. you do realize this is a forum right? the thought process is similar to the slippery slope thought process that initiated racial segregation in america.

anyone can say anything they want on any thread, as long as they are not breaking the rules set for all members on SF.

Racial segregation, what? Mark made a judgement call. He thought that the thread was veering off topic, and just wanted to nudge it back. I read through the thread, and honestly, think that the thread is fine, better than most Styleforum threads, even; but let's not blow things out of proportion and start comparing a moderation call with racial segregation.

Also, Mark is new at this, so please cut him a little slack. He is a reasonable guy. If you have any suggestions for him or issues with a call, just PM him.

Don't worry. This place is not going to become AAAC or anything. Think about it. Andy runs AAAC. J and I run this place.

Fok.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
There's no good reason this thread should have gotten off track. I thought Foo made good points and had good examples to back them up. Then the FooFighters assembled to shout him down for having strong opinions.

This thread could easily get back on track if a few more people would follow the lead of Moo and OD/OT by posting combo pix so that we can discuss what we think works and what doesn't.

OK, here goes. I want to have fun with my PS, but if I had to be completely honest with myself, I'd say the white linen TV-fold looks the classiest.

TueAz.jpg

qJJGZ.jpg

c5mlV.jpg

nrQmR.jpg

SryMD.jpg

dzNZL.jpg

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Great shots there, acecow. Excellent stuff
smile.gif

+1

Dinhilion

Reaction score

One point of foos that I agree with is that a pocket square is always extra. It can't be minimal. Especially in the real world. It can't really be minimalist if most people will see it as am added piece of flair. Minimalist would be no pocket square at all.
That bring said I still think white on white can work. It just isn't the grail combo that it is being treated as. It is crossing levels formality and intricacy.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
OK, here goes. I want to have fun with my PS, but if I had to be completely honest with myself, I'd say the white linen TV-fold looks the classiest.
TueAz.jpg
qJJGZ.jpg
c5mlV.jpg
nrQmR.jpg
SryMD.jpg
dzNZL.jpg
Lovin 2, 4, and 6!! Others still look good Are these all 4IH? Why cant my 4IH ever look like yours

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A white linen hanky is not a pocket square; it's a pocket handkerchief. That's why it's OK with a white shirt, whereas silk or wool squares that are too close to the wearer's shirt don't work. The meaning that we attach to certain objects can trump their visual effect.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
wait .... what? i respect you emptym, but this is ridiculous. you do realize this is a forum right? the thought process is similar to the slippery slope thought process that initiated racial segregation in america. anyone can say anything they want on any thread, as long as they are not breaking the rules set for all members on SF.
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Racial segregation, what? Mark made a judgement call. He thought that the thread was veering off topic, and just wanted to nudge it back. I read through the thread, and honestly, think that the thread is fine, better than most Styleforum threads, even; but let's not blow things out of proportion and start comparing a moderation call with racial segregation. Also, Mark is new at this, so please cut him a little slack. He is a reasonable guy. If you have any suggestions for him or issues with a call, just PM him. As I've mentioned several times, I'm a big fan of the "Wild West" character of SF. Don't worry. This place is not going to become AAAC or anything. Think about it. Andy runs AAAC. J and I run this place. Fok.
laugh.gif
I think I was mostly speaking as a poster, not as a mod. Like Fok says, I'm very new to this mod business. My concern as a poster was that we don't derail a potentially helpful thread with personal attacks and silly debates. As a mod, I didn't think anyone's posts needed to be dealt with on that level.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This doesn't need to be Foo's personal thread. If you want to post your own pocket square reviews, I don't see why you need to start a separate one.
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
I would be curious to here your rules (or lack there of) regarding pocket squares.
I don't overthink it the way Foo does. I don't really have many rules. Mostly that the square should complement either the tie or shirt, or both. Not match, but "work with".
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
There are some excellent threads on SF showing wedding tie selections. Many are silver or very subtle patterns of silver and black. Most of them would coordinate nicely with a Charcoal suit, white shirt and white linen pocket square. I agree 100% on the creme looking "off" in this situation. Also the white PS should offer nice contrast or compliment any flowers or boutonniere but most of all, your brides white dress.
Are these all with a bowtie? If you wear a wedding tie, which is traditionally silver-ish, then a silver pocket square is not going to work. I'm not sure what would be best, maybe a white silk in a puff fold"”less somber than a white linen.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Great shots there, acecow. Excellent stuff
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PandArts
+1

Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Lovin 2, 4, and 6!! Others still look good

Are these all 4IH? Why cant my 4IH ever look like yours

Thanks guys.

k4lnamja, I don't think I tie a very good 4IH. For example in picture 4 it is horrible. After seeing the pictures I immediately retied it. To me, there are several components to form a good 4IH knot, but I'm in no way an expert. For example, Spoo's or someotherstyle's knots are far superior to anything I was able to achieve.

For me it's like this:

1. The tie has to be wide enough. Less than 3 inches and it's nearly impossible to get a good dimple.
2. The tie has to be of decent quality. Doesn't have to be too expensive, but not a polyester TJ Maxx tie.
3. Most importantly, the knot has to be in the tie's sweet spot. Once again, in #4 I initially tied it too long, so the knot was made at the thinner part of the tie, hence no beautiful dimple. After retying it to a shorter length I managed to get a very nice dimple that I was proud of for the whole night. The downside was that the narrow part of the tie was hanging slightly lower than the wide part, but since I was wearing a jacket it wasn't a big deal at all, I just tucked it into my pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads