• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beard: Some Questions

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I have seen people let it go and honestly look homeless. (no offence to the homless on this forum).

None taken. I may be employed and homeless, but I have a vast collection of AE seconds.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
IB TTO, NYR

WTF is this some of the kids text talk, some of us are over 50

And to the subject -- I first grew a mustash when I was in my early 20's, to look older. I was getting carded till I was 30. Then the beard showed up in early 30's for a long time. Then off and on since. In Nov. of 2006, I had to have my knees replaced, and setting around the house with nothing to do , I figured WTF, and have had short trimmed beard ever since. It is my F'en face. And I have had people tell me it makes me look distinguished at my age ( not an easy feat ). A beard is a personal thing relating to personal taste and how you wish to be perceived.

In business and office, I would keep it trimmed and neat in appearence. Overgrown -- shaggy --or sharply detailed ( think Attila the Hun ) may cast to others a psychological message that you are what you appear to be.

Caveat : One must be careful when just growing a beard or have this new look of needing a shave, as I have had ladies tell me it is chafing to the inner thigh when down there in persuit of kissing the oyster, esp. if they are a shaver.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies, thank you.

I am actually quite excited to see that most of you seem quite supportive of beards.

I am not sure I want to grow a beard that has to be tailored all the time, but I guess that is my problem. I kind of like the full beard with plenty of neck...

I guess it will have to wait until my novel is published or my album goes platinum
biggrin.gif

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger Everett
WTF is this some of the kids text talk, some of us are over 50?

I believe those are names of people on the forum who have facial hair, no? I know that NYR (New York Ranger) has a sweet beard from time to time. I am a fan.

cronicmole

Reaction score
TTO was born to have a beard..he would look ridiculous if he shaved it.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cronicmole
TTO was born to have a beard..he would look ridiculous if he shaved it.

I feel the same way. Shave the neck every 1-2 days, trim every 1-2 weeks (and always before a big meeting). I haven't been clean shaven in almost 5 years.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
It might be added that some people think having a beard is less touble Well :- you can shave every day in 5 min. -- OR -- shave neck and cheeks in 5 mn. every 2 days then spend half hour or more once a week trimming ( generally more )

Roger

CaymanS

Reaction score
I have a goatee in corporate environs and nobody can tell me ****. #SWAG

Brogued

Reaction score
I've seen it done well. Patrick Grant pulls it off, in my opinion. Keep it trimmed.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
I have a goatee in corporate environs and nobody can tell me ****. #SWAG
Goatee has been so prevalent, I think it has been accepted in most environments, except the most conservative. I don't see why a well trimmed beard would be frowned upon in a business environment. Yes, I know it'd look strange if the President of the US sported a goatee, but I wouldnt mind a well trimmed beard in anybody that looks good in it. I don't know but where I come from, big statesmen in yesteryear almost always had some kind of facial hair and it would mean stature, knowledge, etc. Personally, I had a goatee from late '97 to around nov '09, when I let a full beard grow. I prefer the 3-5 day growth rather than a fuller trim, because I look older with the latter. I also shave neck and cheeks daily, because I have always hated the unkempt look, except during the weekends if I don't have to dress up.

D Yizz

Reaction score
It might be added that some people think having a beard is less touble Well :- you can shave every day in 5 min. -- OR -- shave neck and cheeks in 5 mn. every 2 days then spend half hour or more once a week trimming ( generally more )

Roger

I take about 2 minutes everyday, neck and cheeks. Much less razor burn!

Mr T

Reaction score
Caveat : One must be careful when just growing a beard or have this new look of needing a shave, as I have had ladies tell me it is chafing to the inner thigh when down there in persuit of kissing the oyster, esp. if they are a shaver.

Odd, I have always thought of it more as a clam than an oyster.

I grow a beard every winter and shave it off every spring. I love my beard but as far as I can tell I am the only one who does. The damn thing comes in four different colors; brown, gray, copper, and blondish at the mustache. Whats not to like about that?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason why you should not have a beard if you want one. There is far too much nonsense talked about then 'not being professional' and other similar over worked words.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
There is absolutely no reason why you should not have a beard if you want one. There is far too much nonsense talked about then 'not being professional' and other similar over worked words.

I agree, but some people are just weird about beards. I like to think that people who cannot grow a beard are usually the ones with some kind of Freudian envy...

I wish we could revert to the days when all men had long flowing beards! I think it is a distinguished look.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about how neat you keep it. I remember seeing NYR's pics when he trimmed his beard and he looked 10x better than when his beard was in full winter mode (imho).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads