• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I wear a white linen TV fold at least 80% of the time. While I don't think it goes with everything, it does go with most. I am just not that interested in getting into the process of collecting and coordinating dozens of squares. I leave that to bigtimers who have professional grade display racks at their house.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

ffffuuuu.gif

We are counting by the gross now, FYI.
lol8[1].gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
ffffuuuu.gif

We are counting by the gross now, FYI.
lol8[1].gif

I do like my most recent Spoo cast off though. I will work it in very soon......
smile.gif

Mike

CaymanS

Reaction score
I am quite fond of the classic, artistic pocket squares produced by LH.

They are elaborately detailed and basically designed to go with nothing, which means they look smart with everything.

As far as personal preferences, I love a white linen pocket square, even with a white shirt - it is the standard for looking smart in board meetings, etc., where looking too sartorial will make you stand out (in a bad way).

I fully agree that matching the tie to the PS, even a little bit, looks overdone and matchy-matchy.

Tie and PS cut from the same cloth? Lethal. Forget it. Just revert to clip-on ties with short-sleeved white dress shirts and then leap off a bridge.

The Rubi's:

4nmvpcv

47js8ku

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I think my wedding was the only occasion I didn't wear a pocket square.

Any particular reason why? Just out of curiosity...seems fairly appropriate, as long as it's not too loud.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some excellent threads on SF showing wedding tie selections. Many are silver or very subtle patterns of silver and black. Most of them would coordinate nicely with a Charcoal suit, white shirt and white linen pocket square. I agree 100% on the creme looking "off" in this situation. Also the white PS should offer nice contrast or compliment any flowers or boutonniere but most of all, your brides white dress.

Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
I'm getting married in late September of this year, and I was planning on wearing a dark charcoal suit, most likely with a white shirt and white linen PS. I'm still up in the air on which tie to wear. Is there anything other than white shirt/white PS that would work for this occasion?

The bride will be wearing a white dress (duh), and obviously I don't want to take too much attention away from her. Any suggestions other than a cream PS? Like some other people have said, I think the cream PS might look a bit dingy in comparison to the white shirt, especially in pictures with the bride and the white dress. I think I will probably stick with the white shirt + white linen PS unless there are some other really interesting ideas.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
There are some excellent threads on SF showing wedding tie selections. Many are silver or very subtle patterns of silver and black. Most of them would coordinate nicely with a Charcoal suit, white shirt and white linen pocket square. I agree 100% on the creme looking "off" in this situation. Also the white PS should offer nice contrast or compliment any flowers or boutonniere but most of all, your brides white dress.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a nice silver/grey with a subtle glen plaid that I think might work well. I'm going to try that out and see how it looks.
cheers.gif

emptym

Reaction score
I tend to agree w/ Foo and hope he continues his posts. I've had a cream square for a few years and while it's not my favorite square, I wear it often.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I tend to agree w/ Foo and hope he continues his posts. I've had a cream square for a few years and while it's not my favorite square, I wear it often.

I agree with his post no question. But im not agreeing with the white PS/white shirt opinion.

emptym

Reaction score
^I wear white ps's w/ white shirts too and find it a good combo.

And I think it's fine if people want to voice their disagreement w/ Foo, to an extent. But at some point, if a person disagrees, that person and SF in general are better served by people starting their own PS review threads instead of polluting Foo's. Let's let him have his thread. It may become as helpful as his "Foofed" thread.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The background or predominant color of your pocket square should not be the same as your shirt.

Well, I can cut to the chase and tell you that this thread will pose no interest to you. I have never claimed to tout what is standard or what famous dead actor's used to do.

Originally Posted by Will C.
With the resurgeance of popularity of pocket squares I see a lot of blunders out there.

I think this is very fair and accurate.

I will only add that prioritizing contrast is arguably a riskier affair, since mistakes will naturally be more obvious.

Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Can someone please give me advice on how to properly wear a PS?

Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i dont really like pocket squares with tweed sports coats.

Originally Posted by Metlin
This is a good point. While I've worn a linen square with tweeds on occasion, I almost always feel odd wearing a pocket square with a tweed jacket or even a blazer.

Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i always wear sports jackets and blazers more casually and for some reason wearing a PS when being more casual always makes me feel too dandyish and affected.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Foo, you like solid cream but do not like solid burgundy - why?

My own opinion is that is a very 80's look. From the era when many guys wore poorly matching ties and pocket squares. Why a solid burgundy when you can try something with a subtle pattern like small polka dots? Far more interesting yet simple.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is an excellent suggestion. Foo has very helpful insights and shares excellent details. To me they tend to be a too narrow of a perspective for my tastes but I will be the first to admit that most of them work well and often very well. I will start a separate thread to show other options from a slightly different perspective.

Isn't it remarkable to see the number of questions that come up about pocket squares???

Originally Posted by emptym
^I wear white ps's w/ white shirts too and find it a good combo.

And I think it's fine if people want to voice their disagreement w/ Foo, to an extent. But at some point, if a person disagrees, that person and SF in general are better served by people starting their own PS review threads instead of polluting Foo's. Let's let him have his thread. It may become as helpful as his "Foofed" thread.

emptym

Reaction score
I think this is an excellent suggestion. Foo has very helpful insights and shares excellent details. To me they tend to be a too narrow of a perspective for my tastes but I will be the first to admit that most of them work well and often very well. I will start a separate thread to show other options from a slightly different perspective.

Isn't it remarkable to see the number of questions that come up about pocket squares???

You are definitely one of the few who deserves his own PS review thread! I look forward to it. I'm definitely a relative newb to pocketsquares, since before SF, I only ever wore plain white if anything.

And maybe OD/OT, could start an overall debate thread. Or Foo could just change this one into that, since it's been that way the past 10 pages, and he could start his own review thread again.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

its a touchy subject. hehehehe

CaymanS

Reaction score
oldog's swag is off the meter. NASA tried to devise a meter that could accurately measure the swag and it exploded as soon as oldog rolled into the testing facility rocking the distressed Levi's jacket, the muscle T and cowboy bandanner.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads