• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The reading room - books on business, management, productivity and so forth...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Oh...Barbarians at the Gate definitely needs to be on a business oriented reading list. It teaches you about a lot more than LBOs.

Good rec. Entertaining read, too.

Have been meaning to also read the book about Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. Have it on the shelf, just haven't read the damn thing.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Oh...Barbarians at the Gate definitely needs to be on a business oriented reading list. It teaches you about a lot more than LBOs.

LBO may refer to:

* large bowel obstruction
* Leveraged buyout, a method of acquiring a company
* Lithium triborate (LiB3O5), substance
* Left Business Observer, an economics newsletter published by Doug Henwood
* Ladies Bowling Organization of Japan, a ladies-only professional bowling organization in Japan

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
LBO may refer to: * large bowel obstruction * Leveraged buyout, a method of acquiring a company * Lithium triborate (LiB3O5), substance * Left Business Observer, an economics newsletter published by Doug Henwood * Ladies Bowling Organization of Japan, a ladies-only professional bowling organization in Japan
Let's go down the list: *1 - I think I've had that, but only by my own definition *2 - Yes, that's what the book is about *3 - Awesome NLO crystal. I aced a penultimate test in a physics class by solving an equation for a photon going through it at an arbitrary angle. Also, a really good friend of mine who is a fellow PhD student and grew up a few miles from my parent's house in St. Louis and is the reason I came to Atlanta is defending his degree today and works on NLO. His wedding was the second use of my RLBL suit. *4 - ? *5 - ??

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stuff

What's your major and further field of focus if you don't mind me asking?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
PM'ed

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK

+1 Would be interesting to know.

With school and 8 books already lined up in queue it's going to take awhile before I get to some of these recommendations. Currently re-reading Economics in One Lesson by Hazlitt as I make it a point to reread it once a year.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Working on the Personal MBA list posted above.

Finished (audiobook styleee) How to Win Friends and Influence People yesterday. Interesting. I mean, basically, it takes a long time to say 'be nice to everyone all the time and never tell them they're wrong', but despite it being lots of stuff my mother always told me, I still enjoyed it.

Started 'Brain Rules' this morning. Audio book again (motorbike commute every day). 3 chapters in, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Fascinating stuff that I honestly otherwise knew nothing about. My mother never told me **** about evolutionary molecular biology. I was obviously poorly raised
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Started 'Brain Rules' this morning.
bump to recommend. Fascinating stuff. Complex but really simply explained. I'm typically most impressed by people who can dumb things down to my level, and if someone is able to dumb neuro-anything down to where I can both comprehend and practically apply it, I am super-impressed.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have The Accidental Investment Banker and Den of Thieves up next.

makker

Reaction score
Any recommendations for great readings on finance for a college student to understand the area of IB further on? Nothing too technical, has to be interesting with nice parallels to real-world events.

For example Options, Futures and Other Derivatives by John C. Hull, do you guys recommend reading it?

qma

Reaction score
In terms of sales, my opinion is that one essential book is SPIN-selling by Neil Rackham. Very good. Another one which has influenced me alot is The Origin of Wealth by Beinhocker. He pretty much presents the idea of complex adaptive systems (seriously interesting stuff in itself) as applied to economics and how this stands in opposition to the traditional neoclassical ideas of economics (idea of equilibrium based on physical laws etc.) I am so damn intrigued by this complex adaptive system thing that it hurts. The best introduction I have heard on the subject can be found here. The Teaching Company is btw a source of knowledge highly valued by me. Pricey but most of them can be found as torrent. (Though all of this is lectures on audio and not in book-form) On the topic of self-development I have yet to find anything more valuable than Neuro-Linguistic Programming. This is a pretty good introduction. The Effective Executive by Drucker is very good. Pretty much everything Drucker has written is excellent.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I have The Accidental Investment Banker and Den of Thieves up next.

Accidental Investment Banker was good. My old boss was mentioned in it a few times (not in a good light). Also check out Monkey Business...really funny book about IB.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads