• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
I thought C***d VÃ
00a9.png
tiver was nasty. Baby powder is not a pleasant scent to me.

tried that out yesterday and just like all the other creeds, it disappears off my body within an hour tops. Thats the absolute last creed I even bother sampling.

also tried the John Varvatos Vintage yesterday, and really liked it initially but never took note of it after the initial spraying, so :shrug:

back to the tuscan leather for me and I think I'm sticking to that as an every day scent. only reason I'm mentioning it is I switched to some sandlewood soap and the tuscan has taken on a whole nother incarnation. I can't describe it other than its much less coke-y.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CologneReview
SOTD: A*Men Pure Havane

hmm, what do you think of that? I'd heard raves about the tobacco element.

Today: Serge Lutens Boxeuses. A sheer, transparent, fruity Russian leather that's not very Russian or Leathery. It IS nice, but considering that it's a non-export bell jar...once my decant is finished, I won't replenish.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trumper's Wellington . . .

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ nice one.

Today - Serge Lutens Daim Blond. Very nice, subtle. there's something in this I can't decide if I like/hate and it's a eucalyptus or anise type note I think.

CologneReview

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
hmm, what do you think of that? I'd heard raves about the tobacco element.

Today: Serge Lutens Boxeuses. A sheer, transparent, fruity Russian leather that's not very Russian or Leathery. It IS nice, but considering that it's a non-export bell jar...once my decant is finished, I won't replenish.

So far I really am enjoying it. It's not as strong as the two previous limited editions. The drydown has a nice tobacco note to it as well.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CologneReview
So far I really am enjoying it. It's not as strong as the two previous limited editions. The drydown has a nice tobacco note to it as well.
Have you tried Havana? If so, what type of comparison would you make?

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. Very interesting scent! Opened with a kind of melon and tea note, then got a little soapy. Soapy in a good way, not the baby powder scent I can't stand. In 2008-2010 I worked a lot in Taiwan. There was a tea shop I used to have lunch at occasionally that had a similar smell: jasmine and melon scented tea with a cedar/camphor soapy undertone. I am constantly amazed at the memories that scents can conjure forth. Married sex with an Asian flair.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
sorry i know Angel has been around for awhile, but i just discovered this a week ago, and i am wearing it and loving it.

I like Angel too. It gets better as it dries down, IMO. The open is really quite harsh and overbearing.

Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. Very interesting scent! Opened with a kind of melon and tea note, then got a little soapy. Soapy in a good way, not the baby powder scent I can't stand. In 2008-2010 I worked a lot in Taiwan. There was a tea shop I used to have lunch at occasionally that had a similar smell: jasmine and melon scented tea with a cedar/camphor soapy undertone. I am constantly amazed at the memories that scents can conjure forth. Married sex with an Asian flair.

I just love this one! I'm surprised at your description of the open as a melon note. To me it's a very soft, fuzzy scent that's livened up by a touch of violet. I'm guessing that it's the cashmeran that you're smelling as soapy.

It's Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere for me today. This is a real flanker. The connection to the original is obvious, and yet it's different enough to make it interesting. It's like Chanel No. 5, but a little more soft and girly. A little lighter and sweeter, and also less aldehydic on top, IMO. The original Chanel No. 5 is in a class by itself, of course, but this is very good too.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
sorry i know Angel has been around for awhile, but i just discovered this a week ago, and i am wearing it and loving it.

I've never tried the original, but I tried Angel Liqueur de Parfum and it was a huge, hairy, beautiful beast of a scent.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I like Angel too. It gets better as it dries down, IMO. The open is really quite harsh and overbearing.

yeah it is nice. i dont know if it is just me or the dry down makes it subtle and sort of disappear. maybe it is just me. i dont smell it anymore because of continual scent. so i tend to put on more later. but this may turn into the soo much sillage fault that so many people do around the office.
i wish there was a way to find out if i have just enough sillage without having to ask anyone. smell some coffe?
Originally Posted by Thomas
I've never tried the original, but I tried Angel Liqueur de Parfum and it was a huge, hairy, beautiful beast of a scent.

mine is just angel. (eau de parfum). (sample
smile.gif
) didnt say any liquer. but it is so rad. i guess liqueur is similar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads