• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6.5 Easy miles tonight for a 76 mile week.
thinking about an ice bath tonight . . . not appealing

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back from vacation. Short and slow dreadmill run to get back in the groove of things.

3.39 miles in 30:00 (avg. 8:51 min/mi)

Today's shuffle playlist:

Led Zeppelin - "Poor Tom"
Metallica - "Frayed Ends of Sanity"
Kiss - "100,000 Years"
Pink Floyd - "Astronomy Domine [Live]"
King Crimson - "Sheltering Sky"

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been on a carb starve.
Like 0 carbs for 3 weeks now.
Running has gotten difficult with really no energy. The first 2-3 miles I want to die.
pounded out a 7 miler on Sat.
4.5 miles on dreadmill today (lungs are still pissed when the meet cold) @ 7:30 pace, incline of 8.

Listened to:

Deerhoof vs. Evil. Pretty amazing record.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.0 tonight in 55:15
high six minute pace.
Its weird but a mid 7 minute pace is so much harder for me to keep up than a high six minute pace at this point. I think the way my new shoes encourage a fast turnover is a part of that.
Found out that I am going to get on a Ragnar Relay team - a spin off of hood to coast from huntington beach CA down to coronado. 200+miles with 12 runners. It should be fun.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam, this is fairly common phenomenon. You have to alter your stride to slow down to an unnatural pace (for you), which makes running feel harder.
5.5 for me this morning. Always a Williamsburg Bridge concept. The fair weather runners who couldn't handle NYC weather are back in force.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, after a couple of rest days we had a cold snap last night so I banged out 6.7 miles in 48:12. Fairly even splits, not much distress, worked a bit more on involving the hamstrings and timing the hamstring/calf involvement.

I have a book coming in the next day or so about running by feel, we'll see if that helps me pull my form together.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today, after a couple of rest days we had a cold snap last night so I banged out 6.7 miles in 48:12. Fairly even splits, not much distress, worked a bit more on involving the hamstrings and timing the hamstring/calf involvement.

I have a book coming in the next day or so about running by feel, we'll see if that helps me pull my form together.

Dont forget the glutes....Im hearing alot lately about glute involvement in the stride.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after 4 months of not running regualrly I ran 3 miles in 25 min. Its okay.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
Sam, this is fairly common phenomenon. You have to alter your stride to slow down to an unnatural pace (for you), which makes running feel harder.
5.5 for me this morning. Always a Williamsburg Bridge concept. The fair weather runners who couldn't handle NYC weather are back in force.

Makes good sense.
By the way, congrats on that awesome time for the 4 miler! thats some serious sh*t.
Today ran 5.5 in the AM in 36 something. Felt really crappy afterwards but probably just because it was at a weird time of day (just after eating . . .)
but then had a workout with A Snails Pace running club tonight
12x1 minute hill repeats with two minutes recovery. Kept a pretty consistent 5:05-5:15 on the uphills, although sustaining that pace for any longer is brutal. The good news was that my stride felt very smooth and I was able to hang with a guy who is a lot faster than I am.
Great workout.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Dont forget the glutes....Im hearing alot lately about glute involvement in the stride.

really? I could see that for a big kick, but my form doesn't seem to have much glute action right now.

Yesterday I got a book about running by feel, and it's caught my attention. I'm only a couple of chapters in but thus far it hits the mind-body connection pretty hard, which is something I've known for a long time now...but only really understood this last training cycle where I had to work to discipline my thoughts in order to keep my pace quick (no laughing, Sam! lol. ). And the irony of reading a book to learn how to listen to my body is not lost on me.

The bad news though is that I went out intending to run 8 this morning, but only felt like running 4 and then the tank was empty in a way I could not remember feeling in a long time. 'twas a decent 4 miles (29:39), but I felt things slipping away and decided to bail, since I was close to the house. I think I just ate too much sugar yesterday and paid dearly for it today.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
really? I could see that for a big kick, but my form doesn't seem to have much glute action right now.

Yesterday I got a book about running by feel, and it's caught my attention. I'm only a couple of chapters in but thus far it hits the mind-body connection pretty hard, which is something I've known for a long time now...but only really understood this last training cycle where I had to work to discipline my thoughts in order to keep my pace quick (no laughing, Sam! lol. ). And the irony of reading a book to learn how to listen to my body is not lost on me.

The bad news though is that I went out intending to run 8 this morning, but only felt like running 4 and then the tank was empty in a way I could not remember feeling in a long time. 'twas a decent 4 miles (29:39), but I felt things slipping away and decided to bail, since I was close to the house. I think I just ate too much sugar yesterday and paid dearly for it today.

Thomas,
I guess that more for hills. I know that when my form lacks glutes for hills, I pay a sever price (like the PF I am dealing with now). But, yeah, I think they should be engaged as they are such a large muscle group.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9 and-a-quarter today easy think it took about 1:06
Soreness reigns in my life right now on account of tuesday's track workout.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads