• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Still don't like the way those creases are going.
frown.gif

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
I see these sorts of comments about larger size shoes all the time. But they've never really made sense to me. On a larger size, the entire shoe is scaled up, not just the toe. The shoe's proportions and appearnace shouldn't change. That's assuming your foot size is in proportion to your height. If you're 5'7" with a size 12 shoe, that's probably another matter.
It's OK. I wore my Carmina brown semis on the Simpson last today and realized they are very similar to the U lasted Vass. So I don't really have that hankering anymore. Thanks!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice
Still don't like the way those creases are going.
frown.gif

They look fine to me. I've noticed with a lot of leathers that after the first initial wearing the creases are a bit lighter in color than they normally are. Not sure what causes it exactly, but it almost seems like the minor creasing upon the first wear is equal to a slight cracking of the leather which almost gives off a dust like impression. When you wipe that away they look fine. No need to worry about such little things or you'll drive yourself crazy.

OyezDC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
They look fine to me. I've noticed with a lot of leathers that after the first initial wearing the creases are a bit lighter in color than they normally are. Not sure what causes it exactly, but it almost seems like the minor creasing upon the first wear is equal to a slight cracking of the leather which almost gives off a dust like impression. When you wipe that away they look fine. No need to worry about such little things or you'll drive yourself crazy.

Agree. I've seen much the same thing with my Vass. I've never gotten "Italian polish" though, and don't know if that wears any differently.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

when i have been to the folks at handmacher recently and "we" were comparing the same shoe in the three widths they offer a thought came to my mind.

imo, vass is compensating the usual width system through their lasts.

F = narrow
P2 = medium
3636, Budapester = wide

keep in mind that vass and their fellow competitors from the austrian hungarian school were mainly producing derbies/bluchers and most of the knowledge went into them.

having the F & U last in the line up is only a recent "phenomen". also, that the oversea and anglo american client is more on the bals train. i don't have numbers handy but as far as i know, they still sell/produce more open laced models, e.g. due to the distinct budapester design.

apparently, some also mix up the budapest model with the last, which is a different animal.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot

ah, the mystery of the creases: my theory is that this is the wax surface cracking, not the leather creasing. I've noticed this happening when I pile on too much polish and wear the shoes next day. Fine white cracking all over the place. Solution is to strip them back and start again.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brax
Three new pairs that just came in. All are on the F last.

iphoto2.jpg
[/url]

Excellent stuff. Gotta love the F, the fit it's just perfect for my very average feet and as an altitudinally challenged person I'm partial to the heel elevation. The F last is a new design but almost identical in 3 dimensions to the AS 48 which I believe is quite an old English last.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
ah, the mystery of the creases: my theory is that this is the wax surface cracking, not the leather creasing. I've noticed this happening when I pile on too much polish and wear the shoes next day. Fine white cracking all over the place. Solution is to strip them back and start again.

Thanks as that's probably more of what's going on.

Brax - great stuff!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As always, this thread needs more photos.

NST high boot
P2 last
dark brown calf
double sole tapering to a single

I've been loving this boot recently and I don't understand why people don't seem to order it more often. Very versatile and sturdy. I included some detailed shots so you can see the stitching and waist.

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

London derby
F last
dark brown suede
double sole tapering to a single

I think this gives off a great example of the classic qualities of the F last. Tough to beat.

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great stuff, David.

If I were to ever go the Vass route, I'd probably go with the P2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads