• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inversion Tables

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have one or use one regularly? I've had some herniated discs for a couple years now so I got one off Craigslist, but I've only had it a couple days. I hear good things about them, but just wanted to see if anyone had some facts/ opinions on them.

pronov

Reaction score
I saw on Dr. Oz that he says they work by relieving pressure on the disks. good luck.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sister has one. I've used it. It seems like quackery.

Logan

Reaction score
A friend of mine has one, nothing like what I was expecting. I was told I was gonna hear my back cracking and whatnot, nope, just upside down. No relief.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
My sister has one. I've used it. It seems like quackery.

Go on.
devil.gif

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
I'm interested as well. I have a herniated and degenerating lumbar disc which did not respond to cortisone injections, and require fairly consistent opiates for pain.

I've seen these tables in a few stores before (thrift and retail), but for liability reasons, they never let me try them out in store.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's "un-herniating" anything, but it seems to help relieve a little tension and soreness.

bmac11c

Reaction score
Have you thought of seeing a chiropractor? I know there are many out there who are weary of them but I've used them in the past and they've worked for me. The hard part is finding a good one!

Bmac

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmac11c
Have you thought of seeing a chiropractor? I know there are many out there who are weary of them but I've used them in the past and they've worked for me. The hard part is finding a good one!

Bmac

Eh, I've been a few times, but how much of a difference could there be between traction and inversion?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very wary of chiropractors, but I'd place more trust in them than a hinged table.

bmac11c

Reaction score
Good question. From what I've read:

"Spinal Decompression Treatment is non-invasive and provides gentle decompression of the disc through the use of a decompression table. You are strapped to the table so that as it moves it applies a distraction force to the targeted area of the spine (the compressed disc). A computer controls the distraction force which is applied in between periods of relaxation. This gently pulls the spine apart elongating it and creating a small vacuum between the vertebrae which pulls the disc back into shape."

Seems to be much different than relying on your weight and gravity. I've never had it done to me, but it might be worth a shot. Most insurance will cover it, but you'll probably have a co-pay.

Bmac

Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Eh, I've been a few times, but how much of a difference could there be between traction and inversion?

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmac11c

Bmac

A chiropractor may well give an awesome massage. Might help me temporarily. But the reason I'm against them is that.... at least traditionally, they're based on the non-scientific premise that all health is determined by the flow of vital force through the spine, to organs. They claim that all disease is caused by "kinks" or "subluxations" in the spine. My aunt, who is into all kinds of bs alternative medicine, for example, claims to know someone who knows someone who was cured of blindness by a chiropractic adjustment.

When I said "wow. thats incredible. I had no idea that the optic nerve traveled from the back of the eye, all the way down to your lower back, before doubling back on itself and connecting to the brain. That seams wildly inefficient, but it must be true ", I got called "closed-minded"

So basically, traditional chiropractors are nut-jobs. And "good" chiropractors are massage therapists, sharing the title of nutjob. And most lie somewhere in between. (I'm kind of a dork for scientific skepticism. I have the same handle on the Skeptics Guide to the Universe forums btw)

Maybe I'll look for a massage therapist.

bmac11c

Reaction score
Totally understandable.

Originally Posted by SnarlPatrick
A chiropractor may well give an awesome massage. Might help me temporarily. But the reason I'm against them is that.... at least traditionally, they're based on the non-scientific premise that all health is determined by the flow of vital force through the spine, to organs. They claim that all disease is caused by "kinks" or "subluxations" in the spine. My aunt, who is into all kinds of bs alternative medicine, for example, claims to know someone who knows someone who was cured of blindness by a chiropractic adjustment.

When I said "wow. thats incredible. I had no idea that the optic nerve traveled from the back of the eye, all the way down to your lower back, before doubling back on itself and connecting to the brain. That seams wildly inefficient, but it must be true ", I got called "closed-minded"

So basically, traditional chiropractors are nut-jobs. And "good" chiropractors are massage therapists, sharing the title of nutjob. And most lie somewhere in between. (I'm kind of a dork for scientific skepticism. I have the same handle on the Skeptics Guide to the Universe forums btw)

Maybe I'll look for a massage therapist.

inq89

Reaction score
I want to get a used one off of craigs too. I don't have a bad back but I want to use to decompress after heavy squats and deadlifts. I've heard they can prevent height shrinkage or even increase it (just by an inch or so at most). Any truth?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
. I've heard they can prevent height shrinkage or even increase it (just by an inch or so at most). Any truth?

I doubt it. Astronauts would "decompress" for months on end and grow 1/2 inch taller in space. Back to normal when they got back to earth though.

Wouldn't the inversion be awful your knees?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads