• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bank Dress Code

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just take inspiration from the UBS dress code policy...

40 pages...

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dk_ace;4179014 said:
CJH7111;4178891 said:
so i was a bit overdressed
This is exactly where you want to be at a bank. You want to be one step ahead. You don't want to blend into the background.

Yes, start saving for a decent suit. A properly fitting, 2-button, solid navy one if at all possible. It would be best to have one of these in your closet and ready to go as soon as you reasonably can. You can flesh out the wardrobe from there, but do start there. I waited too long to start buying suits so it was very expensive for me to play catch up when the time came. Start early, it will pay you back in many ways for many years to come.

D
I agree this is one option for, but since you are a teenager still in high school I probably would forget about buying a suit for now and focus on getting laid by as many hot chicks a possible (unless you are gay in which case simply replace chicks by guys), getting into a decent college and see something of the world. Buy a suit once your final body shape has evolved from years of playing beer pong.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package....

...also prepare a comprehensive PowerPoint presentation with a revised long-term growth strategy for the bank and present to senior management. Emphasize the need to re-organize all leadership levels. Protest heavily when the security guard kicks you out on the street. Ensure the BB#1 maroon tie still has a dimple after you get up from the street.

Guys, we are talking about a high school kid looking somebody in a local bank over the shoulder...this is not an interview at Goldman Sachs..."bring and present your resume package"...can't believe it...

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No hoodie with the hood up.
lol8[1].gif

Frihed89

Reaction score
No matter what you wear, if you don't know the answer to a question put to you, say, "I don't know; I'll find out." And then find out the answer, of course.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My banker wears Cartier glasses and Alligator loafers, I think those will do well for you.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package. Take some notes, ask good questions, stay awake. Always "ma'am" and "sir" and "yes." Don't fidget, belch, or scratch.

Show them you are not just another twerp. Deviate at you own risk.

this is great advice, if he wants to be isolated and be considered a nerd, and therefore ignored by the regular employees.

Most standard bank branches are staffed by high school educated tellers making slightly above minimum wage, and "bankers" who scraped together a 2.2 gpa at some crappy school. This is not the world of high finance, and the OP is a high school student.

As someone stated, his goal should be to learn something, meet some new people, and have a good time.

By throwing on slacks with decent shoes and a shirt/tie, I'm sure he will be dressed just fine.

dk_ace

Reaction score
AlexE;4180092 said:
dk_ace;4179014 said:
Originally Posted by CJH7111
so i was a bit overdressed

I agree this is one option for, but since you are a teenager still in high school I probably would forget about buying a suit for now and focus on getting laid by as many hot chicks a possible (unless you are gay in which case simply replace chicks by guys), getting into a decent college and see something of the world. Buy a suit once your final body shape has evolved from years of playing beer pong.

This is the certainly the path that most people take. I watch most of them struggling as tellers three years after graduating college. Some make it to new accounts or something like that. Almost all of them burn out within five years. Others continue to stick it out longer like this until they realize they're spinning their wheels.

What I was telling the OP was less about the outfit he wore and more about the way he needs to carry himself.

Sure, he could just do what nearly everyone else does. The path I see most people trying to get started in banking take is something I wouldn't wish on an enemy though.

The resume package bit wasn't my idea and yes it's too much (he's in highschool - obviously he doesn't have much of a resume). Dressing well and carrying yourself appropriately are not too much.

And yes, he should buy a suit. High school is the perfect time to buy at least one decent suit. One good navy suit could get him through the various weddings, funerals, interviews, internships, college functions, and job oppurtunites that are bound to arise over the next few years. No one said he needed to go out and buy a full wardrobe of amazing dress clothes, but one suit is not a bad idea by any stretch.

D

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dk_ace;4181767 said:
AlexE;4180092 said:
Originally Posted by dk_ace

This is the certainly the path that most people take. I watch most of them struggling as tellers three years after graduating college. Some make it to new accounts or something like that. Almost all of them burn out within five years. Others continue to stick it out longer like this until they realize they're spinning their wheels.

What I was telling the OP was less about the outfit he wore and more about the way he needs to carry himself.

Sure, he could just do what nearly everyone else does. The path I see most people trying to get started in banking take is something I wouldn't wish on an enemy though.

The resume package bit wasn't my idea and yes it's too much (he's in highschool - obviously he doesn't have much of a resume). Dressing well and carrying yourself appropriately are not too much.

And yes, he should buy a suit. High school is the perfect time to buy at least one decent suit. One good navy suit could get him through the various weddings, funerals, interviews, internships, college functions, and job oppurtunites that are bound to arise over the next few years. No one said he needed to go out and buy a full wardrobe of amazing dress clothes, but one suit is not a bad idea by any stretch.

D

And what have you risen to in your 6 years in the banking industry.

lets face it, most retail bankers are going nowhere fast in life.

604Coast

Reaction score
Quadcammer;4181783 said:
dk_ace;4181767 said:
Originally Posted by AlexE

And what have you risen to in your 6 years in the banking industry.

lets face it, most retail bankers are going nowhere fast in life.

Depends where you live. If you push you can go from the bottom to branch manager (85-90k plus bonus) in 6-7 years, and from minimum wage to 50-60k /year in about 3-4 years. It is an option if you can handle the depressing monotony.

dk_ace

Reaction score
604Coast;4183248 said:
Quadcammer;4181783 said:
Originally Posted by dk_ace

Depends where you live. If you push you can go from the bottom to branch manager (85-90k plus bonus) in 6-7 years, and from minimum wage to 50-60k /year in about 3-4 years. It is an option if you can handle the depressing monotony.

I know many branch managers that are very happy with what they do and the money they make, YMMV.

I don't owe Quadcammer any sort of response, but just for the sake of it the OP is likely to find himself quickly out of the retail scene entirely if he follows my advice. It worked for me anyway. That isn't to say that there is anything wrong with the retail side though it that's your thing.

D

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Missing the obvious, what if this kid does not want to work in a bank when he grows up?

He should treat this work experience placement like any normal kid would, with a partial amount of fear mixed in with youthful enthusiasm. If he is like any good normal kid, he will use his own common sense and savvy to fit and adapt into that environment.

He should not turn up like a nerd or pretentious wannabe high roller.

He should turn up decently dressed, certainly consistent with a local banking branch. Anything past a pair of black oxfords, nice navy / dk grey dress pants, and nice white button down collar shirt is overkill.

Tie as far as I see is optional (not a bad idea), as is a sport coat (overkill).

A full navy suit with shiny black oxfords is overkill of the century.

He is certainly not there to show off a clean pair of Louis Vuitton dress shoes, a 24kt gold shiny Hermes belt buckle, and prance around like a goon in his $6K Kiton Navy suit complete with Tom Ford pocket square, Bvlgari tie, Rolex watch, Gold wedding band (even though he is not married), and not forgetting a $1K leather briefcase containing all his transcripts and full, complete professional resume.

Provided he is polite, converses well with staff, his work experience will mean something. He is not there to learn to dress or learn tricks of the trade, he will figure these things out himself. He is there to learn a valuable lesson on what makes us professionals tick. What defines a professional over a blue collared worker - it aint the clothes, let me at least tell him that.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
this is great advice, if he wants to be isolated and be considered a nerd, and therefore ignored by the regular employees.

Most standard bank branches are staffed by high school educated tellers making slightly above minimum wage, and "bankers" who scraped together a 2.2 gpa at some crappy school. This is not the world of high finance, and the OP is a high school student.

As someone stated, his goal should be to learn something, meet some new people, and have a good time.

By throwing on slacks with decent shoes and a shirt/tie, I'm sure he will be dressed just fine.

Do SFers spend their entire lives going to shoe boutiques? Bank employees all wear the same royal blue shirt and corporation tie. Next time, OP, just visit the bank lobby.

lastlight

Reaction score
As a bank teller I can tell you as long as it's a tie it doesnt matter.

I am by far the best dressed man at my bank and I am a slob by SF standards.

On that note dress nicely but not gaudy or showy, realistically most people couldn't give two ***** about how well you dress nor would they really notice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads