• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is suede allowed?

Originally Posted by NOBD
saphirinvulnerenrenovat.jpg

I used the right one: RÃ
00a9.png
novateur, colour 05 - marron foncÃ
00a9.png
(dark brown).

Sprayed the left shoe, brushed the right one (against the nap).

01rnovateuropsavileseen.jpg

02rnovateuropsaviles.jpg

03rnovateuropsaviles.jpg

Both sprayed. The left on already dried a little and is a bit lighter because of that.

04rnovateuropsavilesall.jpg

I'd use gloves. The spray is rather 'painty'. And I'd only use it on dark brown shoes.

05rnovateuropsavileshan.jpg

After an hour:

06rnovateuropsavilesdro.jpg

I used this method to 'repaint' the shoes. Normally I just use a soft brush
for suede (to get rid of dirt and dust) and I spray them occasionally with
Saphir Super Invulner - Water-repellent. Here's a picture of the brush
I use. The spray is similar to the Super Invulner. The polish is for the sole edges.

onderhoudsuedeii.jpg

When they're really dirty (my 'good shoes' have a luxurious life, so I haven't
used it yet on my them), I use shampoo. Yes, they're sneakers ánd Hugo
Boss... I'm not sure what this leather is called, but it is suede-ish.

Before (crappy shoe trees... and too lazy to remove the laces):

sneakersschoonmakenipd9.jpg

Shampoo and sponge (used the yellow side...):

sneakersschoonmakeniicj3.jpg

Bottom one treated, other one not yet:

sneakersschoonmakeniiiln4.jpg

Untreated:

sneakersschoonmakenivnr3.jpg

Treated:

sneakersschoonmakenvrb1.jpg

After:

sneakersschoonmakenviny7.jpg

Unregistered

Reaction score
Brilliant thread idea! Subscribed!

Thanks for the pictures guys! Keep them coming!

Where do you guys get your Saphir products? I'm looking for some after seeing the results and I'd love to know a good place to get them that hopefully ships to Canada!

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Great thread! I recently got my first pair of AE Fifth Aves and started looking at my old shoes and how bad some of them looked. Well, I was contemplating buying some new casual shoes to replace some that were dry and lifeless looking. I decided to hit them with the AE Walnut polish I got for my AEs, and WOW what a difference. I am now thinking about resoling and keeping them for a while. The point is that taking good care of your shoes can make them look great and worth wearing for a long time. I will try some of the suggestions and products in this thread. Thanks.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
I have a pair of J&M Cellini black cap toes with a soft deer skin on part of the shoe that is very soft to the touch. i recently applied a cream polish and felt like they weren't as soft. Is there anyway to keep them soft but prevent them from drying out?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful. Reminds me of those "shoes with character" that Ron Rider posted about years ago.

Both after:
2agvrs9.jpg

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by osborn
wtf are u talking about

you have shoes that were used for 8 months with no cream/wax. Obviously they are going to look like crap.

then someone applies some (well any would do) shoe care products and lo and behold they look better. Magic

Well it does not take much effort does it. If you look at the difficult items you see they are still fcked, in particular one shoe is much lighter in the vamp etc. Looks like this guy always kept one foot in the shade

get real before u get posting

Dude this is a shoe care thread, not a lets vent and whine about pics,
obviously shoes look better after taking care of them,
obviously some shoes will still be beat up, but will look better...
this is advice on how to take better care and bring out the best of your shoes...

BlackShoes

Reaction score
I don't have pictures to post at the moment, but will relate how utterly **** I found the Church's wax polish to be. It goes on okay, and leaves a medium glossy shine after buffing with a horsehair brush, but any attempt at a mirror shine is rendered useless as the polish will ball up, even if using very little. Worse than this, the polish will similarly ball up and crack on the creased portion of the upper, meaning the vamp of the shoes, by day's end is covered in an ugly shoe dandruff. Saphir immediately solved both problems.

Unregistered

Reaction score
I am utterly amazed at the lack of class and simple general crassness that certain individuals so eloquently display on a fora otherwise filled with the finest of gentlemen.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I am utterly amazed at the lack of class and simple general crassness that certain individuals so eloquently display on a fora otherwise filled with the finest of gentlemen.

You're preaching to the choir! Ridiculous isn't it?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another shout out to the OP for a great thread idea.

I've taken embarassingly poor care of some of my shoes; maybe this thread will inspire me to go give them some TLC (and to not be so lazy in the future).

Originally Posted by osborn
wtf are u talking about

you have shoes that were used for 8 months with no cream/wax. Obviously they are going to look like crap.

then someone applies some (well any would do) shoe care products and lo and behold they look better. Magic

Well it does not take much effort does it. If you look at the difficult items you see they are still fcked, in particular one shoe is much lighter in the vamp etc. Looks like this guy always kept one foot in the shade

get real before u get posting

Jeez, dude, calm thyself. If you don't care about the thread that's cool, but there's no reason to barge in, freak out, and be nasty to everyone.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered

Well, thankfully we have the "ignore" function. And I don't doubt that I'm on a few people's ignore list.
devil.gif

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Osborn - I like to follow the Golden Rule in life. I recommend doing the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads