• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I hardly follow you. Most of the time I barely notice you in this place, to be honest. But, if you're allowed to voice your opinion in this thread, then please allow me the courtesy to do likewise here in my disagreeing with you on the stated topic.

Sure, disagree with me. But that's not what you're doing. My general fallibility, my "class" compared to Cary Grant, and my purchase of a green wallet have nothing to do with my opinions about pocket squares. If you're going to be a dick, at least own up to it.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I can respect different viewpoints--in fact, I love thinking about them and debating them. But if you simply believe style is subjective, I don't see what there's to talk about at all, and I can't fathom why you'd want to participate in this kind of forum.

There is objectivity in style, but it doesn't mean you cannot be adventurous (oh goodness, am I calling PS choice adventurous?!) and break some rules, which aren't even rules at all, as far as I'm concerned. Not every style element must be analyzed.

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Oi, don't fight, girls. In any case, I believe that clothing is first and foremost a fun hobby and should be viewed only as that. Some days I want a crazy outfit with yellow pants and a blue jacket and sometimes I feel like a conservative suit with a conservative shirt and tie. My point is that picking an outfit should, to some degree, be based on rules and color coordination, but should also be fun and frivolous. I'll say again that you are overthinking this too much. I'm not a Louvre painting and people don't scrutinize my outfit on a daily basis. If I feel like a white PS with a white shirt, then I'll wear it and look good, because I feel good about it. What you say is very subjective. How do you determine an outfit to be too contrasting or sharp? What if I want it to look that way? Who says I must look like some kind of idealized version of a human male perfectly dressed for every occasion? My style shows in small details. If everybody followed the same rules it would've been oh so boring. There are rules that make sense and then there are rules that don't. I think this discussion focuses more on the latter.
I also have those devil may care, 'go-to-hell' moments with my clothes. Those moments should be an exception from normal routine. People tend to break the 'rules' with more style when they are aware of them. Besides, this forum isn't Life, it's online clothes hobbyism. This is where we get to focus and obsess about the details. With the resurgeance of popularity of pocket squares I see a lot of blunders out there. I don't see anything wrong with taking a closer look and developing a keener eye with sharper discretion. More men would be well dressed if they did.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
There is objectivity in style, but it doesn't mean you cannot be adventurous (oh goodness, am I calling PS choice adventurous?!) and break some rules, which aren't even rules at all, as far as I'm concerned. Not every style element must be analyzed.

Well, I'm analyzing in this thread. No point in hanging around if you don't like that. Hate to be snarky, but I'm tired of arguing on and on about this sort of thing.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm analyzing in this thread. No point in hanging around if you don't like that. Hate to be snarky, but I'm tired of arguing on and on about this sort of thing.

Sorry, I see your point. While I don't agree with many of the things you say, it's still a pleasure to read them as they are quite informative. Carry on.

I'll be monitoring this thread closely.
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
Besides, this forum isn't Life, it's online clothes hobbyism. This is where we get to focus and obsess about the details. With the resurgeance of popularity of pocket squares I see a lot of blunders out there. I don't see anything wrong with taking a closer look and developing a keener eye with sharper discretion. So, I applaud the op for this thread.

Thank you, sir. I just wanted to talk about pocket squares, damn it.

I agree that hobbyism is largely to blame for a lot of blunders. People want to show off their possessions rather than dress well.

Also, there is a delusional notion of egalitarianism at the root of the problem: we can all dress stylishly if we just be ourselves and break the 'rules'!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like a ghostly presence just entered the room?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
So what is your choice of square with black tie?

I like cream silk with black tie.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Oh is it? That's the same reasoning that gets people to buy $300 Hermes ties with cartoon ducks and little H's on them.

Honestly I buy them because the ducks are cute
confused.gif

I think that a white pocket square goes well with a white shirt as it "echoes" the shirt cuff showing under the jacket sleeves. I am not sure that I am explaining this well, however.

I'm roughly in agreement on most other points -- a plain shirt and a plain pocket square is hard to work unless you strongly vary the texture of some elements like using a grenadine pocket square (at which point they aren't really that plain). That said, assuming you are using a single-color tie, it is still doable -- this prevents the tie from becoming the focal point.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

OhHaiThar.jpg

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
Honestly I buy them because the ducks are cute
confused.gif

I think that a white pocket square goes well with a white shirt as it "echoes" the shirt cuff showing under the jacket sleeves. I am not sure that I am explaining this well, however.

I'm roughly in agreement on most other points -- a plain shirt and a plain pocket square is hard to work unless you strongly vary the texture of some elements like using a grenadine pocket square (at which point they aren't really that plain). That said, assuming you are using a single-color tie, it is still doable -- this prevents the tie from becoming the focal point.

So you mean plain shirt, tie, and PS? The all-solid look is not good for day clothes. (As said before, black tie is a different game).

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
just buy a white PS. goes with everything.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

This.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics