• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
just buy a white PS. goes with everything.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note how the guy on the left is picking up the golden yellow stripe in his tie with a similar colored PS.

***Disclaimer : HRH Prince Charles' style in Pocket Squares might not be that of the OP***

ArnaudBambergerCartierInternationalPololpAvL_REAqLl.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Neither are you.

Don't be infantile. Do you seriously believe fallible people can't share opinions and thoughts? And famous fallible people's opinions are more valid? My fallibility is only an issue if you can't think for yourself.

But hey, if you're happy staring at black-and-white photos of dead celebrities to figure out what looks good, that's your prerogative.

That you're wrong about white shirt/white pocket square. I would have thought that rather obvious.

Conclusion assumed.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
That is only your preference sonny boy. The complex pattern of his tie is the ideal compliment to solid blue plus solid white PS.

Oh is it? That's the same reasoning that gets people to buy $300 Hermes ties with cartoon ducks and little H's on them.

Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Can texture provide the distinction in a pocket square you believe is needed to make it a worthwhile addition to an outfit (as opposed to wearing a "matching" square just for the sake of wearing one)?

Yes, texture plays a huge role. But I think it is most often incapable of compensating for colors that are a near match to each other.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't say you couldn't express your opinion. But don't go around claiming it as fact, as you often do.

Dead celebrities with tonnes more class than you, foo. Yes, I don't mind admiring men such as Grant, Astaire, Stewart etc. You don't even come close to them, mate.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dead celebrities with tonnes more class than you, foo. Yes, I don't mind admiring men such as Grant, Astaire, Stewart etc. You don't even come close to them, mate.

Neither do you, mate.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Oh is it? That's the same reasoning that gets people to buy $300 Hermes ties with cartoon ducks and little H's on them.

Not sure I see the connection between your comment above and a solid blue shirt and solid white PS. Perhaps you could clarify?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure I see the connection between your comment above and a solid blue shirt and solid white PS. Perhaps you could clarify?

I'm saying that a very intricate, finely detailed tie does not compensate for a solid shirt, solid jacket, and solid square. It's too much 'this or that'. The tie becomes a focal point.

Will C.

Reaction score
I too don't have much admiration for solid white shirts with solid white handkerchiefs, but that's partly because I just don't like solid white shirts period, in the daytime. On the other hand, solid + solid + solid is standard with black tie clothing... that's not to say that it can translate into daywear, the formality level being different.

The advice about avoiding matching the primary tones to each other is good. The advice about matching the shirt and jacket to minor tones in the square is valuable, though not strictly necessary. It's possible at times for the square to simply harmonise with the other items, without any matching, clashing, and even without its minor accents 'picking up' other tones in the outfit.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or the same reasoning one goes to Hermes to get a green breast wallet?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying that a very intricate, finely detailed tie does not compensate for a solid shirt, solid jacket, and solid square. It's too much 'this or that'. The tie becomes a focal point.

To my eye it is a nice accent to an overall subtle outfit of solid grey, blue and navy as well as his full head of grey hair. I think it's a good look on him.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oi, don't fight, girls.

In any case, I believe that clothing is first and foremost a fun hobby and should be viewed only as that. Some days I want a crazy outfit with yellow pants and a blue jacket and sometimes I feel like a conservative suit with a conservative shirt and tie. My point is that picking an outfit should, to some degree, be based on rules and color coordination, but should also be fun and frivolous. I'll say again that you are overthinking this too much. I'm not a Louvre painting and people don't scrutinize my outfit on a daily basis. If I feel like a white PS with a white shirt, then I'll wear it and look good, because I feel good about it.

What you say is very subjective. How do you determine an outfit to be too contrasting or sharp? What if I want it to look that way? Who says I must look like some kind of idealized version of a human male perfectly dressed for every occasion? My style shows in small details. If everybody followed the same rules it would've been oh so boring. There are rules that make sense and then there are rules that don't. I think this discussion focuses more on the latter.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my eye it is a nice accent to an overall subtle outfit of solid grey, blue and navy as well as his full head of grey hair. I think it's a good look on him.

+1

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
The advice about matching the shirt and jacket to minor tones in the square is valuable, though not strictly necessary. It's possible at times for the square to simply harmonise with the other items, without any matching, clashing, and even without its minor accents 'picking up' other tones in the outfit.

Of course. I didn't mean to say such was mandatory--merely that it is permissible.

Or the same reasoning one goes to Hermes to get a green breast wallet?

I can only assume that you knew I started this thread and that the title made it abundantly clear I'd be sharing my opinions in it. If my opinions are so worthless, you don't have to continue participating. If you're truly so desperate to impeach me, at least start your own damned thread. There's no need to follow me around the forum to jeer at me. Although, I've noticed that there is a contigency of members who like to do just that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
What you say is very subjective. How do you determine an outfit to be too contrasting or sharp? What if I want it to look that way? Who says I must look like some kind of idealized version of a human male perfectly dressed for every occasion? My style shows in small details. If everybody followed the same rules it would've been oh so boring. There are rules that make sense and then there are rules that don't. I think this discussion focuses more on the latter.

I can respect different viewpoints--in fact, I love thinking about them and debating them. But if you simply believe style is subjective, I don't see what there's to talk about at all, and I can't fathom why you'd want to participate in this kind of forum.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hardly follow you. Most of the time I barely notice you in this place, to be honest. But, if you're allowed to voice your opinion in this thread, then please allow me the courtesy to do likewise here in my disagreeing with you on the stated topic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads