• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm not a fan of Cary Grant's or Steve McQueen's style. Fred Astaire wasn't infallible.

The same is true of you.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I think the following is a nice, classic example of wearing a white pocketsquare and picking up white in a shirt (left) and a tie (right).

artimg_event_hrh_prince_michael_of_kent_arnaud_bamberger_cip_552x600.jpg

HRH Prince Michael of Kent with Arnaud Bamberger of Cartier.

The prince looks good. The white square blends nicely with his shirt, which is not a solid color. It's okay to have some colors common to shirt, tie, and square--the issue is whether the predominant or base colors in each are identical. For example, a light blue shirt pairs very nicely with many different colored pocket squares that have a light blue foreground pattern, so long as the light blue is a minor element.

I disagree about Arnaud. Solid plus solid is generally an auto-fail in my book.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
The same is true of you.

Of course. What's your point.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Cary Grant's or Steve McQueen's style. Fred Astaire wasn't infallible.

I just cant imagine a white shirt and white pocket square ever looking bad. standard. will never look bad. period. ever. never ever. never. end of story. end thread. end. done.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I just cant imagine a white shirt and white pocket square ever looking bad. standard. will never look bad. period. ever. never ever. never. end of story. end thread. end. done.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, I can cut to the chase and tell you that this thread will pose no interest to you. I have never claimed to tout what is standard or what famous dead actor's used to do.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Well, I can cut to the chase and tell you that this thread will pose no interest to you. I have never claimed to tout what is standard or what famous dead actor's used to do.

damn buddy. you have the sense of humor of a rock. i assumed this was a discussion.....

sheesh give a guy his own smiley and look how he acts.
wink.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fred Astaire wasn't infallible.
Neither are you.
What's your point?
That you're wrong about white shirt/white pocket square. I would have thought that rather obvious. Well said with your posts btw, DerekS.
Originally Posted by acecow
You are overthinking this
Boy oh boy is he ever!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree about Arnaud. Solid plus solid is generally an auto-fail in my book.

That is only your preference sonny boy. The complex pattern of his tie is the ideal compliment to solid blue plus solid white PS.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The background or predominant color of your pocket square should not be the same as your shirt.

A pocket square is just another layer of your outfit--on top of your shirt, tie and jacket. Moreover, it is the most superfluous of them all. So, if you're going to include it, it really needs to be sufficiently distinct. If you can't come up with happy balance between matching your shirt (or tie or jacket) and incohesive randomness, just don't wear one. The lack of a pocket square has never ruined an outfit.

Can texture provide the distinction in a pocket square you believe is needed to make it a worthwhile addition to an outfit (as opposed to wearing a "matching" square just for the sake of wearing one)?

For example, a white silk square has a sheen and texture which, IMO, contrasts nicely with a white cotton shirt.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The background or predominant color of your pocket square should not be the same as your shirt.

Recent posted examples:
20110225.jpg

DSCF7258.jpg

A pocket square is just another layer of your outfit--on top of your shirt, tie and jacket. Moreover, it is the most superfluous of them all. So, if you're going to include it, it really needs to be sufficiently distinct. If you can't come up with happy balance between matching your shirt (or tie or jacket) and incohesive randomness, just don't wear one. The lack of a pocket square has never ruined an outfit.

Another layer of the outfit? I've never thought about that. I always assumed the PS should have some color(s) that would match or resemble colors on your tie or shirt. I recently bought 5 white linen one's all with colored edges (brown, light blue, black, grey, and pink). I'm assuming I would pair one of these with a tie or shirt that is similar in color? What about silk one's with numerous colors?

Apologies for my questions but I'm new to this fashion thing and the pocket square game.

Cheers

ykurtz

Reaction score
The 'severity' of a white PS and a predominantly or wholly white shirt works well if you have a high contrast complexion (assuming you're wearing a darker coat/suit here). Whenever I try to 'mute' my PS, e.g. white shirt with blue stripes and a darker blue PS, for example, it just doesn't look right to me. However, I've seen blondes or otherwise men with muted complexions pulling it off fine.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Well said with your posts btw, DerekS.

thanks.
wink.gif

likewise. haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads