• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Mid-Range Suit? JAB Sig Gold? Jack Victor?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd
Given the choice between the OP's original two brands, I'd have Jack Victor without question over anythign JAB.

Not sure where you are, but I occasionally see Hart Shcaffner and Marx suits on sale for less than your target price range... but not sure what their quality is now.

Hickey Freeman can definitely be had on sale for $500-$600 is you're a little bit patient.

Where / How can Hickey Freeman can be found for $500 - $600? Is this possible in staple solid colors like Navy?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by afuturestrader
Where / How can Hickey Freeman can be found for $500 - $600? Is this possible in staple solid colors like Navy?

I see them all the time at Nordstroms Rack. Once, I even saw a navy with navy stripe. So very close to solid navy, it was passable. They are priced at 500-550.

SilvioDante

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
If you're in NYC, I'd check out the Charles Thyrwitt store. THey do nice looking / full canvass for relatively cheap, but I wouldn't buy without touching and trying on.

Originally Posted by 020-banker
CT is full canvas (!)?

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-suits...tton-suit?q=usddefault||ENA04MGY|||||||||||||

I believe "floating canvass chest piece" usually means half canvass.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I've never owned / worn a CT suit - and I guess, when it comes down to it, I was never sure which "Half" was canvassed on a half canvas. Is it a top/bottom or a front/back thing?

Sazerac

Reaction score
+1 on the Jack Victor. I haven't worn their suits, but a have a few sport coats I wear frequently.

Excellent price:quality ratio for new items at or around retail. You can frequently find them at discount though at those strange men's shops around town that sell obscure mostly Italian brands (that usually aren't very good.) Jack Victor stuff is also pretty durable. I've had some for five years or so that are still in decent shape.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I've never owned / worn a CT suit - and I guess, when it comes down to it, I was never sure which "Half" was canvassed on a half canvas. Is it a top/bottom or a front/back thing?

Half canvas is always free floating at the top and fused on the bottom. At least I've never heard of any maker going the other way.

joneog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
I see them all the time at Nordstroms Rack. Once, I even saw a navy with navy stripe. So very close to solid navy, it was passable. They are priced at 500-550.

Last time I was at Century 21 they had quite a few HF for $500. Also a few decent looking HSM Gold Trumpeter for $300.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to consider HF mainline and HSM GT if you're looking for solid cheapish suits. Obviously HF mainline is more expensive and you have to be more patient, though.

If you're not checking out Rack, Last Call, Off Fifth, Century 21, and similar stores, you're really not getting the full range of possibilities out there. Yes, they do see solids on occasion, yes, they do go fast once the prices dip that low.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SilvioDante
I believe "floating canvass chest piece" usually means half canvass.
No.

Originally Posted by taxgenius
Chest piece = half canvas.

No.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So essentially, the CT description is a massive non-sequitur. Does anyone know if they are half or full canvass? Or fused with a floating chest piece since all jackets have a floating chest piece?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So essentially, the CT description is a massive non-sequitur. Does anyone know if they are half or full canvass? Or fused with a floating chest piece since all jackets have a floating chest piece?

They don't say half canvas or full canvas. They say "floating canvas chest piece". All chest pieces are made of canvas. All chest pieces are floating. This is a fused garment.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads