• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
^^^ Heritage profile does look similar to Equipage. I put Heritage on my Wish List. Thanks for the suggestion.

They're pretty different to my nose: Equipage is more of a powdery thing, while Heritage is a big brassy loudmouth scent. I think there's a big ginger note to Heritage, also found in Caron Third Man.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. Anywhere you go to read about male fragrance you are bound to read about Creed. I think the problem some SF'ers have is that although Creed's are well made, they are heavily marketed based on celebrity associations. And just the fact that they are so popular people get tired of seeing Creed discussed. There are a zillion scents out there and many are more niche products that don't get all of the attention that Creed (or Armani, Chanel, Coty, etc).

You received some suggestions on other scents to try out, so give them a try! Also, many posters here are also members of Basenotes (except L'Incandescent!) and you can look up their wardrobes and see what they like to give you some out-of-the-mainstream ideas.

Nice - thanks your your input!

I must admit though, I am digging the Santal...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Which is the one that smells like wet horse tack? BelAmi?

I think Equipage. Bel Ami is more peppery/spicy/woody. Really sharp lemon pepper opening, eventually drying down to sandalwood. Quite good and I'm still mad that Hermes pulled distribution to boutiques only.
mad.gif

not that I wear it much, but still.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
put in my $0.02

I ******* hate Creed. I can't read anymore threads talking about Creed...how Creed is expensive, how they want more Creed. **** off. Creed smells like balls.
deadhorse-a.gif

*end of rant*

Wearing Givenchy Vetyver today.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wearing Amouage Gold today - this smells like what my mother would wear. something in here's making me feel a little sick. Perfect for someone, but not me.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's scent is Trufitt and Hill Grafton.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Miss Dior for me today. Despite the name, I really suggest you guys find a sample and try it. NOTE: this isn't "miss dior cherie," but the original one. It's a very unique sort of oriental chypre-ish with a lovely smack of funk underneath. Think Shalimar meets Givenchy III with a hint of mouchoir thrown in for good measure. THOUGH, for full disclosure, whatever the funk is in the Dior is not civet...

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
They're pretty different to my nose: Equipage is more of a powdery thing, while Heritage is a big brassy loudmouth scent. I think there's a big ginger note to Heritage, also found in Caron Third Man.

I didn't get powdery from Equipage. Floral yes, but not powdery. So far the biggest powder scents I have tried were C***d VÃ
00a9.png
tiver (1948) and Penhaligon's English Fern. I liked English Fern well into the drydown after the powder abated, but it did take a long time. I thought C***d VÃ
00a9.png
tiver was nasty. Baby powder is not a pleasant scent to me.

Terre d'Herme today.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing Ungaro II again today. I tried to wear Ungaro III, but I was thwarted by my illiteracy. :-(

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't get powdery from Equipage. Floral yes, but not powdery. So far the biggest powder scents I have tried were C***d VÃ
00a9.png
tiver (1948) and Penhaligon's English Fern. I liked English Fern well into the drydown after the powder abated, but it did take a long time. I thought C***d VÃ
00a9.png
tiver was nasty. Baby powder is not a pleasant scent to me.

Terre d'Herme today.

Hmmm, I was considering trying it again to test, but somewhere in the heartnotes I get a tad queasy. Not worth dealing with again.

Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Wearing Ungaro II again today. I tried to wear Ungaro III, but I was thwarted by my illiteracy. :-(

Um, aren't the bottles different-colored?
puzzled.gif

Thomas, what is on your new avatar's head? Some kind of meat product?

Actually, one baguette strapped to each side, and a salad roll on the front. A makeshift helmet/lunch arrangement during the Egyptian revolution.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Um, aren't the bottles different-colored?
puzzled.gif

The bottles that Ungaro uses are indeed different-colored. The bottles that I have them in, however, are exactly the same color. The only difference is in the labels, which I proved unable to read correctly.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Yesterday - the Cupcake favorite Elixer des Marvelous. I got a little honey and vanilla but nothing overwhelming. Is the EdT version any different?

Different than Eau de Merveilles? Yes...very much so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads