• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Charcoal Suit To Black Tie Event? (Am I An Idiot?)

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Simple question, got an invite to a "Black Tie" event for this evening for the Oscars (Oscar viewing party in AZ) and I do not own a black suit (find em bland and uninspiring).

Anyways, will I be able to get away with a dark charcoal suit with a solid white shirt and slim black tie? Or am I going to be a walking embarrassment at this party?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is black tie, it is black tie. You will not feel right in a Charcoal suit.

Requiem

Reaction score
A very dark blue (midnight blue) suit would be better. You'll be fine with the charcoal one... just put it on and don't think about it.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh, these answers just validate my fears. I told my date this but she was like, "Just wear it, you will be fine..." she doesn't get my concern. Looks like I will be bowing out of this event gracefully.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who goes to an Oscars party?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Ugh, these answers just validate my fears. I told my date this but she was like, "Just wear it, you will be fine..." she doesn't get my concern. Looks like I will be bowing out of this event gracefully.

You could sit in your car and watch people go in and see if they're wearing tuxes or just regular suits :ninja:. If people are just wearing suits, a dark charcoal won't be too rebellious. Or you could not care and be "that guy" for the night.

Grenadier

Reaction score
Do you not own a tuxedo? While perhaps an obvious question, you only mentioned not owning a black suit.

Geezer

Reaction score
If it's what you have, wear it. At least half the "celebrities" actually at the Oscars will be wearing things that SF will hate - and probably post pics of here. I'd be amazed if you were the only person not wearing SF-approved black tie. You are going to a party with - I hope - friends to watch TV, not to a state banquet at Windsor Castle.

doctordapper

Reaction score
My thought process for your situation is:
1) If you own a tux wear it.
2) If not, don't fall victim to rentals. I would much rather be seen wearing a good suit than a rental. What ever you wear, wear it confidently and don't forget the details: pocket square to match and tie clip etc. A well put together ensemble may distract from the fact that its not a 'black tie' outfit.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
You're going to bow out of the event because of this? Are you joking? You are going to a party whose sole purpose is to watch a god damn television show. Wear your charcoal suit, white shirt, and slim tie. Have fun.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Who goes to an Oscars party?

Not I... this was a last minute offer from SO.

Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
You're going to bow out of the event because of this? Are you joking? You are going to a party whose sole purpose is to watch a god @#!*% television show. Wear your charcoal suit, white shirt, and slim tie. Have fun.

I agree with this, the fact that it is ridiculous to attend a party to watch a T.V. show... Oscars no less. This is merely a place where people stroke their own egos, a situation I find to be insufferable. But my gf is all about being scene and having attention on her. And she wonders why I wonder off during said events to the bar.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Do you not own a tuxedo? While perhaps an obvious question, you only mentioned not owning a black suit.

At this time, do not own a tux. Maybe one day now that my body frame/weight is no longer fluctuating.

Originally Posted by deadly7
You could sit in your car and watch people go in and see if they're wearing tuxes or just regular suits :ninja:. If people are just wearing suits, a dark charcoal won't be too rebellious. Or you could not care and be "that guy" for the night.

Kudos on the ninja skill-set idea. If this truly is a black tie affair and notice guests showing up in Tux and full ensembles, might be best to duck out. Don't have the cojones to be "that guy" tonight.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I approve, but it's not uncommon for men to wear suits to black tie events. They likely don't have a tuxedo. Honestly, your friends probably wont expect you to drop $500+ for a single evening. Wear your suit and tie. As long as it fits well you will look great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads