• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a Green blazer

Camacho

Reaction score
Glad I came across a recent thread on this topic!

I hear different things in regards to skin colour when green comes up - some say it works best with dark skin and some say fair skin..

Any thoughts on a jacket this shade of green with fair skin? Been wanting a nice herringbone for some time

Picture1.png

7118202.jpg

thanks!

c.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
I personally don't think that will work. Too "warm" if your skin is very fair. The maxim seems to be "cooler" colors the fairer your skin, and maybe it's held by a little bit too strictly, but I think it's particularly true with greens, since an unsightly green-ness is particularly ill (in a bad way), and washed-out looking.

JTA

Reaction score
I'm also interested to know this one as the general consensus suggests that green colour works better on fair skin however the Asian guy on the previous page surely rocks the green colour.

Will C.

Reaction score
Is this a thread about green blazers, or green tweed jackets?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you are Captain of your Golf Club

TintinATL

Reaction score
tumblr_l7nl3bJQ3w1qdo7u1

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
I'm also interested to know this one as the general consensus suggests that green colour works better on fair skin however the Asian guy on the previous page surely rocks the green colour.

The asian gentleman in the natural-shoulder blazer is wearing a very rich, deep green hue, which is different than the washed-out olive green herringbone we see above, so I think we're talking about two different things--unless my monitor is inadequately displaying the colors.

In general I think brighter hues look better in brighter sunlight. And people with more neutral skin tones--mid-browns and tans--can look more natural wearing brighter colors closer to their face.

My skin tone is about like Obama's (a little lighter than that in the Boston winter). The only colors I have problems with are mid browns. I look awkward if I wear those close to my face without a contrasting element (like a very very dark tie or PS). But if the brown is much lighter than my face (light khaki) or much darker than my face (deep chocolate brown), it is quite flattering.

You'll notice the gentleman posted by Camacho is wearing an olive green herringbone blazer with a dark purple v-neck sweater. I'm guessing the contrast is what his fair skin/dark hair requires to make the olive look balanced. I think the man in the green suit posted by tintinATL would not look as dapper without that gray scarf to transition the eye from his low-contrast face to his green suit. The neutral blue shirt assists this transition.

I don't think any set of rules will guide you better than a glance at the mirror.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Paulatailor
It should go along well with jeans and white shirt.

41nGquIzmdL._SY445_.jpg

Dear Lord... it's possible that there is not one single redeeming value to this photo. What the hell is going on with that man's neckline? Did he get sunburned while wearing a bag over his head?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that it looks best with a mix of earthy colors

I have one that I pair with:

-jeans or medium grey pants. I think khaki looks just OK but not its best.
-always a medium blue shirt
-heather brown knit tie or a charcoal cashmere knit tie, a brown and rust silk tie.
-Navy pocket square with rich navy, rust, green earthy colors.
-tobacco suede shoes( look especially good with greens), brown snakeskin belt
-For an accent I will wear a purple/eggplant colored scarf. Purple plays very well off of mossy/earth greens.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go for a darker, earthy green. This has too much of a yellow/gold hue if you are fair skinned.

Originally Posted by Camacho

I hear different things in regards to skin colour when green comes up - some say it works best with dark skin and some say fair skin..

Any thoughts on a jacket this shade of green with fair skin? Been wanting a nice herringbone for some time

Picture1.png

c.

kellgy

Reaction score
Green has been my staple color for years being a fair skinned red head. I find it soothing but recently discovered the richness of dark blues and am experimenting with that. This thread brings up some interesting ideas to expand my tired green combos.

furosemide

Reaction score
I love green and try to use it often. I'm Asian, and find it works well with my complexion.

P1010075.jpg

P1010074.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1000756.jpg

sephlod

Reaction score
This thread has really perked my interest in a green sc/blazer. I've just bumped it up my list.. Very nice look gents

gwolf

Reaction score
olive cotton suits? worn with tan shoes/ belt and light blue shirt/ navy tie? sorry not too adventurous. perhaps bottle green velvet blazer for a night out? i'd also rock a mint green soft shouldered jacket with white MOP buttons. hard to get the right shade of green right though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads