• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinaugust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
Yup, they are definitely heavy, but it's the weight distribution along the foot that makes it uncomfortable, in my opinion.

But yeah--I'm not a 'workman' so I may have a different comfort level. Maybe the joy of working in Indys is getting home at the end of the day and the relief and joy that comes of taking them off!?

How long does the break-in take? I don't think my feet can take the discomfort during that process though. I'll try an insole. I went to shoe stores today and looked at insoles....is there a brand that you recommend? I would prefer leather but cushioned....I don't want to the do the total synthetic like Dr Scholl's....

I'm still having a hard time believing that these boots have the reputation they have and still can be this uncomfortable!
Does no one who can afford/wear these shoes actually have a "workman" job??!?!?

This forum is full of derisive comments about the worst damage 405s taking these days is STarbucks being spilt on them.....I guess there may be some truth to that....

As someone who walks very heavy and has done an intense amount of construction in his short 29 years on the planet I can say there is no way that I would wear a boot like the Indys to do any work in. Very little cushioning, not nearly thick enough leather and very little reinforcement in high stress areas.

Now I'm a teacher and pound hardwood floors all day running around, jumping, dancing, singing and everything else. I love my thinner leather soled shoes for it.

The 403/5 definitely is a fashion boot IMO and while that may rub folks the wrong way there's definitely nothing wrong with that. I only own 2 pairs of workshoes nowadays: Thorogood 8" and some Redwing non-moctoe shitkickers.

Just my opinion.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justinaugust
As someone who walks very heavy and has done an intense amount of construction in his short 29 years on the planet I can say there is no way that I would wear a boot like the Indys to do any work in. Very little cushioning, not nearly thick enough leather and very little reinforcement in high stress areas.

Now I'm a teacher and pound hardwood floors all day running around, jumping, dancing, singing and everything else. I love my thinner leather soled shoes for it.

The 403/5 definitely is a fashion boot IMO and while that may rub folks the wrong way there's definitely nothing wrong with that. I only own 2 pairs of workshoes nowadays: Thorogood 8" and some Redwing non-moctoe shitkickers.

Just my opinion.

I totally agree with you on that. I think years ago the 403 boot would have been a decent "work boot". Even now someone who works in a wood shop or light duty shop of some sort could pull them off. But heavy duty jobs, the boots wouldn't survive.

I work as a Heavy Equipment Hydraulics Tech' and burn through a pair of modern heavyduty work boots every 12 months.

HOWEVER I do love to rock the "indys" on my time off
smile.gif

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blue collar
I totally agree with you on that. I think years ago the 403 boot would have been a decent "work boot". Even now someone who works in a wood shop or light duty shop of some sort could pull them off. But heavy duty jobs, the boots wouldn't survive. I work as a Heavy Equipment Hydraulics Tech' and burn through a pair of modern heavyduty work boots every 12 months. HOWEVER I do love to rock the "indys" on my time off
smile.gif

Don't forget, Harrison Ford wore them working as a carpenter before he became a famous actor. Liked them so much that he chose to wear them as Indiana Jones boots for the movies. And way before that I think it was known as the Alden 'work boot'. That said, I would think if you are working with heavy machinery though, you would want a steel toe boot.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Yep, it makes me feel good to read true American laborers debating the merits of work shoes here on the Alden thread. Working class - that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of $600 Aldens!
laugh.gif

REguy

Reaction score
^^What are the details on the suede tassels? Are they the mocha suede ones from Shoemart?

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
What are peoples opinions of longwings versus shortwing wintips? I know Alden long wings seem to be more sought after but why is that?

Rocking my new #8 PTBs today. Since we're talking about shortwings, I am posting my new #8 shortwings on the Grant last that I haven't worn yet. Just kopped 'em. I was stoked to find shortwings on something other than the Barrie, and I happen to love the Grant.

With the short and longwing debate, I am not sure why folks seem to like the longwings better...I happen to have love for both!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Rocking my new #8 PTBs today. Since we're talking about shortwings, I am posting my new #8 shortwings on the Grant last that I haven't worn yet. Just kopped 'em. I was stoked to find shortwings on something other than the Barrie, and I happen to love the Grant.

With the short and longwing debate, I am not sure why folks seem to like the longwings better...I happen to have love for both!

Did you size down 1/2 size on the grant as you would have with the barrie?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
regular wingtips (either blucher or bal) are made by practically every shoe maker in the world. Longwings are made only by a few, and Alden makes the most "iconic" one (at the moment). The design itself also considered to be American, and Americana is [zoolander]so hot right now[/zoolander]. Shortwings are certainly not American in origin.

PS I hate the term shortwing. its stupid

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916

Nice looking shoes! Love how versatile the PTB is dress 'em up or down.

AKMarkB

Reaction score
Sorry to change th subject but does anyone know how the cork soles on the Indy boots do on ice and snow?

Kenal0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AKMarkB
Sorry to change th subject but does anyone know how the cork soles on the Indy boots do on ice and snow?

In my opinion, not good. If you are going to use them in ice and snow then consider having your local shoe guy out on a commando type sole.

kenal0

AKMarkB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenal0
In my opinion, not good. If you are going to use them in ice and snow then consider having your local shoe guy out on a commando type sole.

kenal0

Thanks. I'm looking at the Hawaiian Tanks but I'm not sure I like the split toe. The Kudo is nice but a little to rugged for indoor/outdoor use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads