• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

psa: savings at Charles Tyrwhitt

celeste_pista

Reaction score
Things are consistently cheaper if you use the UK site and pay in GBP selecting US shipping rather than the US site. Not by a huge amount, but it is free money if you are buying something there anyways. (make sure your CC doesn't hit you with foreign currency 2-3% txn fee...use a cap one card or other card that has no fee)

e.g. =
www.ctshirts.com | navy wool cashmere overcoat = 350 USD
www.ctshirts.co.uk | navy wool cashmere overcoat = (179 GBP + 16.74 ship to US)*1.66 USD/GBP = 322 USD

if you could get the 20% vat embedded in the GBP price it would be an even better deal.

Lastly, does anyone have a coupon code for either the US or UK site?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celeste_pista
if you could get the 20% vat embedded in the GBP price it would be an even better deal.

good point. I got hit with a $8 bs fee by my CC...So are you suggesting that adding VAT through GBP will be cheaper than USD? How?

I am thinking of ordering a few more items as I found that their fit, measurement are ideal for my physical stature.

Thanks again...

celeste_pista

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
good point. I got hit with a $8 bs fee by my CC...So are you suggesting that adding VAT through GBP will be cheaper than USD? How?

I am thinking of ordering a few more items as I found that their fit, measurement are ideal for my physical stature.

Thanks again...

I don't understand what you are asking about here. the VAT and the CC fees are two separate things.

CC fee. most US CC companies will charge 2-3% for all transactions that ring up in a currency other than USD.

VAT is a ~20% tax applicable to purchases made and shipped within the EU. the UK CT site already includes this 20% VAT in the price. Other companies (pediwear, etc) will reduce their prices by 20% if shipping outside the EU, so the UK CT site should be able to reduce teh GBP price by another 20% since it is shipping outside the EU, but they don't.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I don't understand what you are asking about here. the VAT and the CC fees are two separate things.

CC fee. most US CC companies will charge 2-3% for all transactions that ring up in a currency other than USD.

VAT is a ~20% tax applicable to purchases made and shipped within the EU. the UK CT site already includes this 20% VAT in the price. Other companies (pediwear, etc) will reduce their prices by 20% if shipping outside the EU, so the UK CT site should be able to reduce teh GBP price by another 20% since it is shipping outside the EU, but they don't.

I don't know what you are talking about. CT certainly does deduct VAT when you purchase their shirts on the UK site, pay in British pounds and ship to the US. If you don't believe me, just place some items in the cart, go through the checkout process, making sure you put in a US address, and the VAT will be deducted. They don't say anything about it, but it is deducted.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, they do.

I always order from CT in UK pounds with overseas shipping, since I am in Australia, and I have always had the VAT deducted from the final total.

celeste_pista

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
I don't know what you are talking about. CT certainly does deduct VAT when you purchase their shirts on the UK site, pay in British pounds and ship to the US. If you don't believe me, just place some items in the cart, go through the checkout process, making sure you put in a US address, and the VAT will be deducted. They don't say anything about it, but it is deducted.

Originally Posted by Journeyman
Yes, they do.

I always order from CT in UK pounds with overseas shipping, since I am in Australia, and I have always had the VAT deducted from the final total.

you are both correct...just checked my last order.
shog[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads